IceTV Resurrected

Started by Dave at IceTV, October 16, 2015, 11:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bodogbodog

Quote from: warkus on October 25, 2015, 06:54:50 PM
If it is a faulty SOC, it's a bin job, simple. I'm really sorry.

Those are words I never want to hear...
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

warkus

Well it just wouldn't be worth your time getting a replacement in my opinion.

Oh by the way, if anyone is interested, I know exactly what SOC is in the skippa now, as with this particular faulty Skippa I took the heat sink off and reattached it on with new thermal adhesive to see if that helped in case it wasn't contacting properly, but it didn't help.

It wasn't easy to get off either, the adhesive is tough and risk of damaging the chip is significant but got it off no trouble.

I have previously reported it as NOT being a Broadcom SOC BCM7241, which some said it was likely to be based on the Altech 9600 having a BCM7231. I think it was also stated in the specs for a short time as being a 7241 as well before that reference was removed.

I recently reported it as being likely to be a BCM7428 Broadcom SOC as it has a USB WIFI adaptor inside the unit and based on that and other things including speed (supposed to be 3000 DMIPS according to Skippa specs) this was a very likely fit, however 100% proof was not possible as I didn't want to risk taking off the heat sink from my unit to verify it.

Well I was also totally wrong. It is in fact definitely a BCM7241. Visually confirmed.

Which means their own specs are totally wrong, that SOC runs at 5000 DMIPS, and has built in 5g wifi controller too which is not being utilised at all, so why they have put this SOC onto a near identical mainboard to the Altech 9600 that doesn't have the capabilities to utilise the extra goodies of this Chip I just don't know. Not to mention it has exactly the same Sized heat sink on it to the Altech 9600 SOC that runs at 2000 DMIPS, so it's little wonder that people are saying these things get hot as they do, VERY HOT, the heat sink is grossly under spec'd.

I have to say I had a lot of respect for UEC before this unit, not so now...

It would not surprise me at all if this was the cause of many of the issues people are having, the heat sink after a few hours of operation is literally too hot to touch. My thermal infrared temp gun says it's running at a mere 84 degrees at the base of the heat sink, that's just totally unacceptable.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was in fact the cause of much of the rebooting.

Mark

sam

Quote from: warkus on October 25, 2015, 06:54:50 PM
Sam,

I have a Skippa here in the office doing exactly that at the moment. It lasts between 30 seconds and 5 minutes on boot before freezing, audio still running but frozen other than that and occasionally reboots itself automatically.

I am 80% sure it's a faulty SOC (main controller). Freeze spraying the heat sink on the SOC keeps it up for an indefinite period, most I've had it up is 15mins. As soon as I stop spraying the heat sink, it locks within a very short time.

If it is a faulty SOC, it's a bin job, simple. I'm really sorry.

I haven't finished testing yet but once I've finished I will post confirmation either way...

Mark

Thanks Mark, I'll wait in fairyland hope... that it is not a faulty SOC. 😪
This SKIPPA was being replaced but the replacement never arrived :(
What a bummer! 

And too late to claim on my credit card / PayPal as I paid on the first day SKIPPA was announced.

Sam

warkus

It's not too late, you have 180 days with PayPal, and my calculations from May 25 it's not 180 days yet...

Mark

sam

Quote from: warkus on October 25, 2015, 08:04:42 PM
It's not too late, you have 180 days with PayPal, and my calculations from May 25 it's not 180 days yet...

Mark

Ok thanks Mark, I just checked how many days and its 126 since payment...  I'll give PayPal a try.

Sam

gibster

Quote from: warkus on October 25, 2015, 07:47:28 PM
It would not surprise me at all if this was the cause of many of the issues people are having, the heat sink after a few hours of operation is literally too hot to touch. My thermal infrared temp gun says it's running at a mere 84 degrees at the base of the heat sink, that's just totally unacceptable.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was in fact the cause of much of the rebooting.

Mark

Hmmm.. Maybe time for a liquid cooling solution :)

gib
BeyonWiz V2

zoszos68

I got a refund of $399.00 (I took the postage off) from Paypal today.
I did have the Skippa delivered and I get to keep it.
I wonder if asking for the whole $417.00 would have worked as well.

Happy anyway. So looks like others may be lucky as well.
And yes I will keep using IceTV.

Kevin

IanL-S

Quote from: gibster on October 25, 2015, 08:55:10 PM

Mark

gib

I was thinking the same thing. Currently I have 3 small fans on the top of the unit powered from the USB port (not sure how effective it is).

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

nis200sx

Quote from: IanL-S on October 27, 2015, 01:31:02 PM
Quote from: gibster on October 25, 2015, 08:55:10 PM

Mark

gib

I was thinking the same thing. Currently I have 3 small fans on the top of the unit powered from the USB port (not sure how effective it is).

Ian

I was thinking of what old motherboards, video cards or PVRs do I have lying around that may have a suitable donor small heatsink+fan.
Dave

Chopsus

Mark

Paypal is 90 days I thought?

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: Chopsus on October 27, 2015, 04:39:30 PM

Mark

Paypal is 90 days I thought?

PayPal Buyer Protection is 180 days for items purchased with one payment.
https://www.paypal.com/selfhelp/article/FAQ1269

• "Let the seller know there's a problem with the transaction by opening a dispute in the Resolution Centre within 180 days of making your payment. Then, escalate the dispute to a claim within 20 days of the date you opened the dispute."
I believe if the seller doesn't respond within 7 days the dispute automatically gets escalated to a claim.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Dacho

I've had heat problems with previous PVR's so my skippa is on 4 x 3cm tall spaces underneath the feet locations. Also very much space in all other directions to let it breathe.  Was originally freezing, but most likely early Firmware. Still a few issues with latest FW and add skip as it sometimes shows no adds and jumps to the end.  :(

tb123

So, any news on the new subscriptions, was kinda expecting to hear something by now?

Cloister

Quote from: tb123 on October 27, 2015, 11:06:57 PM
So, any news on the new subscriptions, was kinda expecting to hear something by now?

Yeah I'm getting mixed messages. I get an email earlier in the week saying "Your IceTV expires soon - renew now" then I get another email today saying "We are expecting to have our new payment gateway up sometime next week". I wont be renewing until I hear anything further as my previous subscription ran out on 16th October when the company was in voluntary administration (yeah wish me luck at the bad timing awards) and silly me not thinking went ahead and tried to renew for a month to keep things going only for Visa to promptly cancel my card for "security reasons".

So unless anyone can shed any more light on this I wont be renewing at this time. Don't want another canceled card on my hands. I had to actually go INSIDE a bank to withdraw cash. Felt like I was in the last century! HAHA  ;D

IanL-S

Quote from: Cloister on October 28, 2015, 07:05:27 PM
...... I get an email earlier in the week saying "Your IceTV expires soon - renew now" then I get another email today saying "We are expecting to have our new payment gateway up sometime next week".

Looks like someone forgot to cancel the automated emails sent when subscriptions are about to expire. At least the froze all 'auto-renew' .... Just what you needed, more cause for confusion and uncertainty.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help