IceTV Resurrected

Started by Dave at IceTV, October 16, 2015, 11:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bodogbodog

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on October 22, 2015, 02:29:34 PM
You should contact PayPal (see the PayPal thread) or your credit card provider to get a refund as your skippa will never work without some help from UEC.
I know my Credit Card included insurance does not cover faulty goods...so not joy for me on that front
Looks like the Warkus repair option is the way to go
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

sam

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on October 22, 2015, 02:29:34 PM
Quote from: sam on October 21, 2015, 05:29:34 PM
Hi Dave,

As I have a faulty SKIPPA that will not fully Bootup or work. IceTV were sending a Replacement SKIPPA before IceTV was put into Voluntary Administration. But it was never delivered to me!
You should contact PayPal (see the PayPal thread) or your credit card provider to get a refund as your skippa will never work without some help from UEC.

Quote from: sam on October 21, 2015, 05:29:34 PM
How can I update the Firmware via USB when my SKIPPA won't finish boot up?
The circle is frozen, it never finishing loading - the circle disappears to a blank/black screen  - pressing Menu on the remote control does nothing.
If you have another device or laptop with the same type of power supply (12V 4A and the same plug) you try another power supply to see the skippa will then boot up.

If it gets to the IceTV logo screen (it comes after the loading... circle) you can try a sequence of button presses to reset the skippa, or reset and format the hard drive.

The following will reset and format the HDD.

1. Unplug the power cable from the back of the Skippa.
2. Wait 10 seconds.
3. Plug the power cable back in.
4. On the TV screen, when you see the loading screen vanish press the following remote control buttons in this order:
  - Red, Green, Yellow, Blue, Yellow
5. The Skippa will should restart and run through the initial setup process again.

The opposite resets without formatting the HDD: Blue, Yellow, Green, Red, Green.

There may be another combination that installs the firmware from USB, or maybe they use a computer app connected via Serial-to-USB.

Thanks Dave,
I did manage to boot SKIPPA to Recovery using a little different order to your colour combination as I mentioned in my reply to Ian above :)

Connected SKIPPI into Power to start SKIPPA, when the boot screen appeared (Round Blue circle) I quickly pressed the remote keys in the following order : red, green, yellow, blue, yellow .
This should Reboot SKIPPA  - It did not reboot on my first try, so I continued pressing the red, green, yellow, blue, yellow while still on the splash screen until the SKIPPA eventually rebooted.

I won't repeat the results are in my reply above to Ian.

Thanks for your advice Dave, it's always greatly appreciated. It's good to have you BACK!
Sam

sam

Quote from: TimC on October 21, 2015, 08:56:25 PM
I saw something somewhere that some plugpacks were off voltage an causing problems. 

It may be worth buying an equivalent off the shelf plugpack and trying it.

Have a look in some of the "freezing" bug reports for where it was discussed.

Hi TimC
I took your suggestion and purchased a new Power Supply from Jaycar Electronics a 12VDC 5A Desktop Power Supply - Fixed 2.5mm plug.  PSU SMPS IEC 12VDC 5A-PLGS $64.94 :(
Plugged the Powerpack into Power & connected to SKIPPA.
SKIPPA Booted quickly & I was then able to use the Remote Control to move around through the Menu to check and change Settings.

The Remote was responsive to commands & I did not experience any Freezing (which is the first time)! I was able to put SKIPPA in Standby when I wanted to end the session, using the Standby button on the Remote (again this is the first time).

I'll test more later today & check that my programs set to Record tonight DO Record. SKIPPA has not been able to record any of my set programs - I have not been able to use SKIPPA at all until today.

So looking little more positive so far, and is indicating that the original Power Supply Adaptor was faulty. I'll wait and see...

Thanks TimC for suggesting that the Power Supply could be at fault.
Sam

TimC

Quote from: sam on October 22, 2015, 04:58:19 PM
Thanks TimC for suggesting that the Power Supply could be at fault.
Sam

Actually credit should go to Dave and Warkus.  They provided the key insight in their thread "Freezing causes and solutions?"
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

warkus

2.5mm plug is the WRONG plug for the Skippa.

The plug is a 2.1mm Positive tip.

I hope that was just a typo...

sam

Quote from: warkus on October 22, 2015, 05:41:46 PM
2.5mm plug is the WRONG plug for the Skippa.

The plug is a 2.1mm Positive tip.

I hope that was just a typo...

OMG I'm So sorry Warkus - My Bad! :(
it is a 2.1mm plug centre positive!
Sam

warkus

All good...

WOW that price is shocking... (really sorry to say Sam - apologies)

I realise there is a markup on these things but that is over DOUBLE what i sell em for...

I need to up my price, lol...

sam

Quote from: warkus on October 22, 2015, 06:30:07 PM
All good...

I realise there is a markup on these things but that is over DOUBLE what i sell em for...

Yeah I know the price is/was a shocker, & I really didn't want to spend anymore on SKIPPA.
I was going to purchase through you but was so desperate and impatient to try to get SKIPPA at least booting up, that I rushed off to Jaycar & grabbed one as posting to me was going to take a few days :(

Cheers,
Sam

IanL-S

Quote from: warkus on October 22, 2015, 06:30:07 PM
All good...

Yes, your prices are very reasonable! One very satisfied customer here!

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

spinifex

Yes, your prices are very reasonable! One very satisfied customer here!

Ian

Same here, and best of all, Mark is only 15 minutes away from my house.  ;D

raj

Ok, this is all getting a little confusing with little information flowing.

We are told that we would get an e-mail telling us that the service would end in a number of days so that we could renew for a month if we wanted to.

So far, nothing has been received as to when the old system will be shut down, but today I have started getting an "authorisation failed" message popping up with the IceTV Windows utility.

What is happening? Has the old system been shut down, and what happens next?

IanL-S

Quote from: raj on October 23, 2015, 08:37:02 AM
So far, nothing has been received as to when the old system will be shut down, but today I have started getting an "authorisation failed" message popping up with the IceTV Windows utility.

I suspect it may well be a DNS issue; see the following post for details: http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/announcements/4/icetv-scheduled-maintenance-tonight-22102015/4686/

My SKIPPA is working properly (contacting the IceTV server) but my Toppys have not made contact since 12.24am this morning.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

payandwait

anyone who trusts this company to provide any service they promise without changing the rules over and over is kidding themselves.
I bought a Skippa with life time subscription included.
well that actually means about 1 month free then you must pay or the Skippa is a useless box.

heaps of bugs on these machines.
my ADSKIP stopped working weeks ago...THATS WHAT THE MACHINE IS SUPPOSED TO DO

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY
just a matter of time before it folds for good. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

IanL-S

Add skipping seem to be largely fixed in the firmware update release a few days back: http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/firmware/46/how-to-update-the-software-from-a-usb-stick/4664/

Ian
Synology NAS

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: raj on October 23, 2015, 08:37:02 AM
Ok, this is all getting a little confusing with little information flowing.

We are told that we would get an e-mail telling us that the service would end in a number of days so that we could renew for a month if we wanted to.

Just to clear some things up with this.

The issues you are seeing when connecting were a holdover of the server maintenance work carried out overnight and is now all fixed and working correctly.

The IceTV service itself will not stop, however once a new payment gateway has been setup and is working there will be notice sent out advising everyone that within about 7 days from that their current accounts will expire and to continue with the service they will need to re-subscribe.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.