IceTV Resurrected

Started by Dave at IceTV, October 16, 2015, 11:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyeroz

Good to see IceTV is resurrected & people can keep their jobs. :)
I have been a subscriber since 2007 & still have just under 4 years of prepaid subscription left.
As I've been unable to work since 2012 due to work related accident I found the pre paid discounts to be a great help financially.
I fully understand current situation, but am afraid I will not be able to afford the new monthly payment - most of our money pay the ongoing medical bills. :(
It will be a very sad day when our current subscription expires since IceTV is such a great service, but such is life.
I am glad you guys kept your jobs, especially since I lost mine.
Hope the future is bright.

Mr_Q

Quote from: Paul55 on October 18, 2015, 10:58:39 PMI'm no expert in these matters, but maybe all correspondence must come from the administrators while IceTV is under their control.
Maybe, but we keep getting told the "new" IceTV is a different company. Surely they could email something out: "we're all new and improved and here's an offer for customers willing to give us a chance ...".

At the moment the only email I have is the "IceTV is out of business" one. That's probably not going to help customers or IceTV.

I'm glad the service looks like it's going to continue and I understand that there's probably a mess behind the scenes, but they have our contact details and an email isn't the most complicated thing to organise.

gibster

Quote from: IanL-S on October 18, 2015, 02:56:29 PM
There are two parts to the IceTV Service, the first is the guide and the second is the remote setting of timers (which is far more powerful than the native abilities of most, if not all, PVRs. For me the combination of both of these is well worth the proposed price.

If you think the price is too much, you do not have to pay it.

Ian

I agree. It's an excellent service.

Should be a way to "Like" a post without having to actually post :)

gib
BeyonWiz V2

raj

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on October 16, 2015, 11:59:20 AM
Goods News Everyone

The necessary staff with IceTV experience have returned and the IceTV TV Guide will resume being updated from tomorrow.

Existing accounts, including series recordings etc, remain intact. But unfortunately any remaining time on existing subscriptions from the old IceTV company will expire *soon.

Not necessarily great news.

It is a matter of just weeks ago that IceTV ran a promotion where they were quite happy to offer extensions to subscriptions and take money all the while knowing that they were in trouble. It is never a case of everything going along smoothly and then suddenly falling off the cliff. It was late August with no hint of a problem that saw me extend my subscription that I had a while to run with. I did this because there was no hint of any issue and I figured that I would take it up with there being a mutual benefit to both parties. Then just weeks later I get the e-mail saying that the company is in administration!

My account status with years to go on it all makes this a little hollow. About the only thing in its favour for subscribers to any new service is that the most you can lose is $7.99 rather than the several hundred dollars.

raj

Quote from: hoadie on October 18, 2015, 03:04:06 PM
I agree; there are a lot of services provided beyond the provision of the EPG that for me is worth $8/m.

That may be the case if you were just paying a $7.99/month fee, but IceTV gladly took $149 from me last year and $125 from me in late August this year, so it is hard to see how that then becomes worth it.

As a minimum, the most recent payment should be returned as there is no way that management would not have known there was a problem then. These things do not happen so suddenly.

What would be your reaction if you had to pay close to $25/month or more? Would it be worthwhile then? In my case given I have something approaching $250 going to dust in the space of a few weeks makes it not so good at all!

eafywan

I must admit that we voted "No" we wouldn't be interested in a month to month subscription but can tell you now, we'll definitely be signing back on when it is available. There really is nothing even close to as good as what Ice TV does out there at the moment for the same sort of price. Personally, I like the idea of month to month as we did lose out on a 5 year subscription only 12 months in, so we won' t be doing that again, even if it becomes available. Oh, and good to see that the staff have kept their jobs, that is really the most important thing here.

michaelwho

Quote from: raj on October 19, 2015, 09:59:59 AM
Quote from: hoadie on October 18, 2015, 03:04:06 PM
I agree; there are a lot of services provided beyond the provision of the EPG that for me is worth $8/m.

That may be the case if you were just paying a $7.99/month fee, but IceTV gladly took $149 from me last year and $125 from me in late August this year, so it is hard to see how that then becomes worth it.

As a minimum, the most recent payment should be returned as there is no way that management would not have known there was a problem then. These things do not happen so suddenly.

What would be your reaction if you had to pay close to $25/month or more? Would it be worthwhile then? In my case given I have something approaching $250 going to dust in the space of a few weeks makes it not so good at all!

I have sympathy for you but that previous money is a sunk cost. Whether you use ice tv from here on or not that money is still sunk. You can struggle with EPG programming or pay $7.99 and make your life easier.

raj

Quote from: eafywan on October 19, 2015, 11:01:54 AMOh, and good to see that the staff have kept their jobs, that is really the most important thing here.
Hopefully NOT the ones that saw the company end up in the state that it is, otherwise, this might end up as the definitive phoenix company.

eafywan

Quote from: raj on October 19, 2015, 11:32:50 AM
Quote from: eafywan on October 19, 2015, 11:01:54 AMOh, and good to see that the staff have kept their jobs, that is really the most important thing here.
Hopefully NOT the ones that saw the company end up in the state that it is, otherwise, this might end up as the definitive phoenix company.

Yeah, I wasn't meaning the directors or CEO, I was referring to the ones that do the actual work... ;)

raj

About the only thing that might sway those taken for a ride will be that they are only going to be out by $7.99 if things go pear shaped.

Essentially, the new owners are on notice. Screw with the customers, and they will end up being screwed as well, because there are no more chances.

If they cannot make a go of it, don't promise something that you know cannot be delivered.

warkus

It's not new owners.

It's the same old, Colin o'brien is back behind the relaunch.

Mark

zoszos68

I may as well ask what has happened to Heinz Herman? I hope he is not involved this time.

And I will be paying the new price etc.

Kevin

rossl

I've been an IceTV subscriber since 2010 and yes, I will also lose on my subscriptions which were paid up to 2020. However I like the IceTV service and the ability to simply program both my devices (Topfield 2460 1TB and Humax 7500T 1TB) from my Ipad, and I had also been planning on adding a Skippa to my stable to cover the conflicts that sometimes occur with not enough tuners. I also have a Foxtel IQ2 and where necessary record some FTA to that device. However, I will be subscribing to the new IceTV monthly service when it becomes available. I've had it too easy for so long with IceTV that I cannot do without, so am prepared to risk $8 a month.

I have also just been advised by Paypal that my claim for a refund on a Skippa I had ordered (but never arrived) has been successful.
Ross

Humax HDR7500T 1TB and Topfield TRF-2460

FrontLineFodder

Thank you

I can breath again, I was dreading having to reconfigure MythTV to use EIT.

now about that new XML api :-D

Adam

sam3667

Yep, had started to reconfigure my Mythtv to use the FTA stream guide... then had to set it all back.. At least Mythtv would still have functioned even though with a inferior guide...