IceTV Resurrected

Started by Dave at IceTV, October 16, 2015, 11:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoffmic

My Automatic Renewal starts on the 22nd October.
Do I cancel and wait for the $7.99 charges to start?

IanL-S

Quote from: geoffmic on October 17, 2015, 04:35:07 PM
My Automatic Renewal starts on the 22nd October.
Do I cancel and wait for the $7.99 charges to start?

I would expect that we would have to create a new automatic renewal since the old one will result in amounts being transferred to an account controlled by the IceTV administrator rather than the new operator of IceTV. As reported in a post by Dave at IceTV all existing auto-renewals have been deactivated.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

JPP

Quote from: Andrew Smith on October 17, 2015, 12:43:56 PM
From a business perspective, I would strongly encourage IceTV v2 to have the facility by which we can pay for 3 months, 6 months or even a year ahead.  Why?  Because I don't want to be handling $8 transactions every month and would rather do a "one transaction to rule them all" etc type of thing.
Andrew
I would just set up either an automatic deposit/transfer (push payment) or let ICETV(2) deduct the payment automatically (pull payment). You can always cancel either method of payment at a moments' notice. I would also prefer to use a credit card transaction (usually an automatic pull) as that gives you protection against fraudulent transactions.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

Nodeity

Quote from: JPP on October 17, 2015, 04:58:58 PM
From a business perspective, I would strongly encourage IceTV v2 to have the facility by which we can pay for 3 months, 6 months or even a year ahead.  Why?  Because I don't want to be handling $8 transactions every month and would rather do a "one transaction to rule them all" etc type of thing.
Andrew
I would just set up either an automatic deposit/transfer (push payment) or let ICETV(2) deduct the payment automatically (pull payment). You can always cancel either method of payment at a moments' notice. I would also prefer to use a credit card transaction (usually an automatic pull) as that gives you protection against fraudulent transactions.

Paypal..?

csutak40

Andrew

Well, I think you would be in the minority with that request.  Having just lost 4 years of subscriptions, I (and I'd say most others) would rather pay monthly, for the time being, anyway.
Must say, every time a great discounted subscription was offered, a little red flag went up for me, but chose to ignore it.  So, having learned my lesson. it would be quite a while before I trusted IceTV with my money.
This day and age, making automated payments are quite easy, you really don't need to "handle" anything.
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

csutak40

Quote from: JPP on October 17, 2015, 04:58:58 PM
or let ICETV(2) deduct the payment automatically (pull payment). You can always cancel either method of payment at a moments' notice. I would also prefer to use a credit card transaction (usually an automatic pull) as that gives you protection against fraudulent transactions.

The only problem with that is (from previous experience) that if you want to cancel one, they insist on issuing you with a new card, which is a real pain.  I have lots of direct debits going through my credit card
Cheers,
Judy

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: DeltaMikeCharlie on October 17, 2015, 10:36:27 AM
IceTV v2 is excellent news, for subscribers and staff.

With the new monthly payment arrangements, can you please ensure that a notification email is sent each and every month when the subscription has been deducted?  This will avoid any credit card payments slipping through the cracks and earning my Bank any much loved late fees.

We will definitely have automatic renewals as an option, and you will definitely receive an email when it gets renewed.

Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

TimC

Quote from: csutak40 on October 17, 2015, 05:56:51 PM
The only problem with that is (from previous experience) that if you want to cancel one, they insist on issuing you with a new card, which is a real pain.  I have lots of direct debits going through my credit card

I would have thought that cancelling would simply be a matter of logging on to your account in IceTV and cancelling there.
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

NBOSTI

Happy Days.
I spent most of Friday trying to set my EyeTV/Mac to automate recordings, what a headache.
I did find an online guide to use that would tell me of repeat screenings but to send that to my recorders would require a lot more time, know-how and patience than I have. XMLTV, automation and script- writing
I logged back into Ice today just out of curiosity and joy of joys, I saw a full weeks worth of schedules.
My other solution had missed a lot of schedules, particularly " Fargo".

So a big thank you to all that have made it possible for this service to survive, especially Dave, who has been the only one to ever aknowledge any of my  support mail in the past.
Keep up the good work, keep it as an interactive EPG service only and you will have my continued subscription.

csutak40

Quote from: TimC on October 17, 2015, 07:51:45 PM

I would have thought that cancelling would simply be a matter of logging on to your account in IceTV and cancelling there.

If you have set up a direct debit, then only the supplier can cancel it.  If you have some sort of dispute (not saying that this would happen with IceTV) and they don't want to co-operate, or you can't get in touch with them, and/or you are disputing the amount they are deducting, apparently the only way to discontinue the payment is cancelling your account.
Cheers,
Judy

charlotte

How to cancel a direct debit
Write to your financial institution (and send a copy of your letter to the business you pay using direct debit) and instruct them to cancel your direct debit authorisation forthwith or on a specific date. The bank cannot lawfully refuse your written request for cancellation. Ideally, take the letter to your bank so that your instructions are acted on immediately.

To cancel a direct debit on a credit card account, you should first write to the organisation with whom you have established a direct debit, instructing them to cancel the arrangement and send a copy to your financial institution. If the debits continue you can then request your financial institution to reverse the transaction as it is unauthorised.

csutak40

Quote from: charlotte on October 17, 2015, 11:14:32 PM

To cancel a direct debit on a credit card account, you should first write to the organisation with whom you have established a direct debit, instructing them to cancel the arrangement and send a copy to your financial institution. If the debits continue you can then request your financial institution to reverse the transaction as it is unauthorised.

Which is what happened, so my credit card company told me that I need to get a new credit card, as they have no other way of stopping any future transactions

I keep wanting to get a separate credit card just for these kinds of transactions, but never get around to it.  Besides, I may have trouble getting one, as I have no credit rating :-)  (the one I now have, I got when I was still gainfully employed, I am retired these days)
Cheers,
Judy

charlotte

It is true that the bank can't stop the direct debit, but they can (and will, if it's my bank) continue to reverse the unauthorised charges until the debiting company gets the idea. The good news is that this problem is extremely unlikely with icetv.

I'm so pleased that icetv is continuing. Great for staff and of course our epg.

lespato

Hi  csutak40

My sister is in a similar situation. She is retired and is very cautions about using her main credit card. She got a Load N Go card from the post office and loves it. Use it as a normal credit card. She uses it for online purchases only keeps a small amount in it.
Check out there web site.

http://auspost.com.au/money-insurance/load-and-go-reloadable-visa-prepaid-card.html

lcp

JPP

For the small amount of monthly expenditure involved here, $8, the safest method might just be setting up an automatic transfer/payment schedule to ICETV in your Bank account. Using a Credit Card will give you some extra cash in hand (by way of deferred payment, allowing your money to earn some extra cash whilst it's in the Bank - 3.6% for me atm), but it's hardly worth it.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor