Elephant in the Room?

Started by Paul55, October 11, 2015, 10:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul55

I've been away for a week and the world has ended?? I'm surprised there is no discussion about the Voluntary Administration situation.
Is the total demise of IceTV a foregone conclusion or is the subscription service still a viable business as it seems to have been for many years.
All indications are that Heinz has flown the coop after his grandiose hardware experiment seems to have brought the company to its knees. I hope this perception is wrong, but it is consistent with the behaviour of entrepreneurs and 'visionaries' when things go wrong.
Unfortunately, it looks like the harsh critics and sceptics questioning the integrity of the IceTV management may have been correct. I have been a long time supporter and defender of IceTV over many years, so I hope the naysayers are eventually proved wrong. At best it is yet another example of pathetic communication - at worst criminal deceit to keep promising product and taking money from customers.

prl

Quote from: Paul55 on October 11, 2015, 10:46:13 AM
I've been away for a week and the world has ended?? I'm surprised there is no discussion about the Voluntary Administration situation. ...

You mean the discussion that isn't taking place in IceTv in Voluntary Administarion?  ;)

Agreed, it is perhaps not in the place where you might expect to find it in the forum, but the discussion there isn't only about what will happen for those people who have paid for a SKIPPA and now appear not to be likely to get one.

There are also topics on the same subject in the IceTV area of the Beyonwiz Forum and in the Whirlpool forum's Home Theatre>PVR area.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Paul55

Thanks Peter. Guess I should have had a better look.

Paul55

Thanks for the link Peter. I wouldn't have looked in the Skippa area to address my concerns about the EPG continuing - though there is a pretty obvious connection between the Skippa folly and the threat to the company's existence.

Ian Spencer @ Home

Hmm, nearly brought one myself but wanted to pay more if it worked well. i have over 3 years of prepaid guide but I can live with that. Been with them since Window XP Media Center so very early days. I believe they were trading when they knew they had no way of continuing to provide goods and services. I wonder where the money went.

Paul55

IanL-S

In the post I made in the link below there is a a copy of the text of an email I got today from the administrators. Its request subscribers to indicate if they would be potentially interested in taking up an monthly IceTV subscription. Apparently all current subscribers are being sent an email and a response is requested by noon tomorrow. The response will apparently be used to help in selling the IceTV service to new owners.

http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/general/44/icetv-in-voluntary-administarion/4638/135

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

SkippaBeat

IanL-S

Quote from: SkippaBeat on October 12, 2015, 05:27:03 PM
NEW owners?

It is possible I have got that wrong. The wording is ambiguous.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

prl

Quote from: IanL-S on October 12, 2015, 05:33:12 PM
Quote from: SkippaBeat on October 12, 2015, 05:27:03 PM
NEW owners?

It is possible I have got that wrong. The wording is ambiguous.
It says "We know that the service will need to be sold or licensed to another provider for it to remain operable", but it doesn't say whether there will be any overlap of the shareholders, the board or the management from the old to the new company.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Paul55

Quote from: prl on October 12, 2015, 05:56:27 PM
but it doesn't say whether there will be any overlap of the shareholders, the board or the management from the old to the new company.

Let's not get too bound up in this area. After all, IceTV ran its subscription service very well for a long time to generally satisfied customers.
It may come down to a choice of whether or not this service continues to exist at all. Taking some form of vengeance because we are angry could be counter-productive to the outcome most of us want to see - the continuation of the EPG subscription service.

prl

Quote from: Paul55 on October 12, 2015, 06:46:59 PM
Quote from: prl on October 12, 2015, 05:56:27 PM
but it doesn't say whether there will be any overlap of the shareholders, the board or the management from the old to the new company.

Let's not get too bound up in this area. After all, IceTV ran its subscription service very well for a long time to generally satisfied customers.
It may come down to a choice of whether or not this service continues to exist at all. Taking some form of vengeance because we are angry could be counter-productive to the outcome most of us want to see - the continuation of the EPG subscription service.

You may be attributing feelings to me that I don't really have, though I have seen a number of posts along the lines of "I'll never use the service if any of the old board/management is involved in the new company."
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Paul55

Quote from: prl on October 12, 2015, 07:18:29 PM
You may be attributing feelings to me that I don't really have, though I have seen a number of posts along the lines of "I'll never use the service if any of the old board/management is involved in the new company."

Bad quoting practice by me. I wasn't intending to imply you held that point of view.
Some other forums are getting carried away with the 'poor me' crew venting their spleens and working themselves into a frenzy with their narrow, self absorbed rants.
Keyboard mob behaviour at its most frustrating.

prl

Quote from: Paul55 on October 12, 2015, 08:42:22 PM
Some other forums are getting carried away with the 'poor me' crew venting their spleens and working themselves into a frenzy with their narrow, self absorbed rants.
Keyboard mob behaviour at its most frustrating.
Yes, there seem to be far too many people (on various forums) who "know exactly what happened", even though the Administrator has been quoted as saying they don't know yet.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

csutak40

Quote from: Paul55 on October 12, 2015, 06:46:59 PM

+1
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,