IceTv in Voluntary Administarion

Started by emmsee, October 07, 2015, 05:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gibster

Quote from: prl on October 14, 2015, 05:12:52 PM
Quote from: lespato on October 14, 2015, 03:33:57 PMYou would think someone would invest in the Icetv service ...
Read Dave at IceTV's farewell message. There was. They couldn't secure some of the IceTV staff that they thought they needed to keep it running.

So Dave, what do they need? There's a few thousand of us out here, maybe we could all figure something out.

gib
BeyonWiz V2

Chopsus

Might be throwing good money after bad mate ... Sounds like the real brains trust of the EPG have told them to stick it ... Understandable given management managed to leverage everyone out of work on a pipe dream paper weight called Skippa!

Ea5e

As a lucky unsecured creditor, I chucked the administrator's letter in the bin, went out and bought Fetch TV from HN. Very happy with it
Pluses
Hand curated EPG, no subscription, accurate so far
Smooth, easy and pretty EPG / GUI. Major step up from clunky Wiz
Movies on demand (Not opting for extra Foxtel-like subscription package). Streams nicely (Telstra cable)
Netflix app. Signed straight on to my US account (router is geo-unblocked)
Series recording, mobile apps.
1TB storage, managed
Minuses
No repeat exclusion, but does sort by seasons for easy recognition of repeats
Have to FF through ads. Jump back feature for overshoot

So, more capability than Skippa would ever have, $379, minus ad skip. Not a big deal

Pursya

Quote from: Heideho on October 14, 2015, 04:47:48 PM
So Gizmodo is reporting that Ice TV is now officially dead and buried. Can anyone confirm that?

I posted this link; http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/general-discussions/1/thanks-and-farwell/4648/;topicseen
On this page yesterday.
Ice TV is gone because some of the staff, who obviously are the tech geniuses, have rightly got jobs elsewhere,
Can't blame them for that.

Heideho

I must have missed that.

Contemplating the change in my viewing habits tonight as life without Ice TV sinks in.

Got to replace the new Skippa with the old Topfield. Actually read the TV guide now and watch out for programs I want and make sure I keep the times/dates in step with airtimes. Keep an eye out for when those new programs are airing.

It's been so long I wonder if I remember how the Topfield uses the FTA guide.

I wish there was an affordable service that managed all this stuff for me. Oh, right...
Brisbane

dinkum

Simple question anybody, what is the future of my Skippa?

Garywg

Quote from: dinkum on October 14, 2015, 11:55:19 PM
Simple question anybody, what is the future of my Skippa?

Dust collector, at least its a spare hard drive...
One day there might be an updated firmware for them if the importers want to sell the rest of them in Australia, they might just junk them.

IanL-S

A friend made the following suggestion:

* Get the Skipper EPG protocol documentation from ICE.
* Write a program that can get FTA or Internet EPG and convert it to the Skippa protocol.
* Run that program on a Toppy or Raspberry Pi or whatever.
* Change your internal DNS to point to your program and not the Skipper EPG site.

This would be a huge effort for very few users.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

markb

Quote from: IanL-S on October 15, 2015, 07:48:24 AM
A friend made the following suggestion:
I already thought of that myself so earlier this week I inserted a raspberry pi in bridge mode series with my toppy and used wireshark to capture the http dialog to reverse engineer the protocol. Most home routers allow you to set explicit DNS entries.

peteru

You don't need to reverse engineer the protocol. There is already an open source implementation of the new API on the Beyonwiz T-series. It was available well before the Skippa even went on sale (actually, even before IceTV decided on who would OEM the Skippa) and it was the first PVR to support the new IceTV API.

All you need to do is write a compatible server. I would not bother.

markb

Quote from: peteru on October 15, 2015, 03:19:53 PM
You don't need to reverse engineer the protocol. There is already an open source implementation of the new API on the Beyonwiz T-series. It was available well before the Skippa even went on sale (actually, even before IceTV decided on who would OEM the Skippa) and it was the first PVR to support the new IceTV API.

Any chance you can provide a link? Is it the same as your (old) stuff at http://icebox.sourceforge.net/?

prl

The Beyonwiz T4 IceTV API is in https://bitbucket.org/beyonwiz/easy-ui-4/overview

Click on the Source link in the sidebar, then lib/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/IceTV in the file browser pages.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Heideho

I received the reminder email overnight that my Ice TV subscription expires next Friday. :(
Brisbane

IanL-S

Quote from: Heideho on October 16, 2015, 11:04:48 AM
I received the reminder email overnight that my Ice TV subscription expires next Friday. :(

Check to make sure you do not have auto-renew activated.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: IanL-S on October 16, 2015, 11:17:39 AM
Quote from: Heideho on October 16, 2015, 11:04:48 AM

Check to make sure you do not have auto-renew activated.

Ian

This is definitely not an issue, auto-renewals are not being processed.

Also any outstanding auto renewals would not carry across to whatever happens next.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.