IceTv in Voluntary Administarion

Started by emmsee, October 07, 2015, 05:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warkus

Quote from: Cashie on October 13, 2015, 05:27:05 PM

Bit of a coincidence that the UEC webpage has also gone down? http://www.uec.com.au/

Actually its not...

The UEC web page has been flaky for years. Being an owner of an Altech 9600, there has been many times its been down for weeks at a time, let alone days.

This has been well reported by many users on Whirlpool in the 9600 thread.

tonymy01

Hi all, long time away from the forums, family life and young child now...I didn't get the receivership email like many,I learnt about this when going on the web on the weekend to set a timer...
I did get the email this weekend about the potential to pay to keep going,I too said yes despite losing my current subscription to around the 2020 mark:(
I rely heavily on setting timers from Ice now, with little time to dig around a guide tracking scheduling changes etc...I was shocked by the announcement as I could see missing out on lots of shows I record (in saying that, with overseas work, family etc,I have two Beyonwiz PVRs nearly full, 1TB+2TB!)
I am seriously thinking about a T4 now...
I did work a long time ago at getting a free xml guide working on the wiz (for setting timers only though!) but did require hacking the f/w a bit to enable telnet etc.  Perhaps I will look back at this again? It won't be able to manage timer clashes so well though :( (I use Ice to spread around my timers to deal with the 4 tuners over 2PVRs, and any clashes I would typically get an email from Ice which I could then resolve across the two PVRs).
Sigh...
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

prl

Quote from: tonymy01 on October 13, 2015, 08:33:57 PM
... I am seriously thinking about a T4 now...
I did work a long time ago at getting a free xml guide working on the wiz (for setting timers only though!) but did require hacking the f/w a bit to enable telnet etc.  Perhaps I will look back at this again? It won't be able to manage timer clashes so well though :( (I use Ice to spread around my timers to deal with the 4 tuners over 2PVRs, and any clashes I would typically get an email from Ice which I could then resolve across the two PVRs).

I've been running our T4 in parallel for a while with the same recording load as our DPs. The only failure I've had with unresolvable clashes was on the DPs. When IceTV ends, the DPs will get taken out of service, because it won't be worth the effort to keep them going with manual timers.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Paul55

Quote from: prl on October 13, 2015, 08:41:55 PM
When IceTV ends, the DPs will get taken out of service, because it won't be worth the effort to keep them going with manual timers.

I'm using Ice on 3 DPs and a Toppy 2400 over 2 rooms. I also have another DP in a 3rd room.
I can see myself using the DPs for weekly recordings on ABC and SBS - more consistent show times. I'll keep a DP in each room to enable watching of other Wiz recordings.
I'll learn to use the SmartEPG TAP on the Toppy, but realise it won't give me all that Ice has (or as easily).
A T series Beyonwiz (yet to be purchased) will probably become the main recording device for the house - with the benefit of being able to view recordings on networked DP units. Then I'll need to learn to use AutoTimers on the T series. My initial research indicates increased blood pressure and Panadol consumption is in my future.

peteru

Quote from: Paul55 on October 13, 2015, 09:01:49 PMI'll need to learn to use AutoTimers on the T series. My initial research indicates increased blood pressure and Panadol consumption is in my future.
Only if you are hell-bent on never recording a repeat. If you are happy to delete the repeats as you go, you'll be fine. With a 6TB option, you have plenty of time up your sleeve to get around to deleting unwanted shows.

IMHO it's a lot easier to get autotimers to record a few more things and just delete a few shows that you don't care about.

Quote from: tonymy01 on October 13, 2015, 08:33:57 PMlong time away from the forums
manage timer clashes
Yes, you have been MIA for a long time.

My advice would be to ditch the DP-Series and get yourself a T4 as the main PVR and a T2 as your development/hacking box. You can trade in your old PVRs when you buy the T-series. Even an old Toppy 5000PVRt will fetch you a $50 credit with Beyonwiz. The T-series are very clever when it comes to timer management and timer conflicts are extremely rare. The T4 will easily record 10 streams at the same time and timers can overlap any way you like.

It's all open source and very easy to hack. Basically, the T-series is the PVR you (and I) really wanted back in the Toppy 5k days ;-)

tonymy01

Quote from: peteru on October 13, 2015, 09:59:44 PM
My advice would be to ditch the DP-Series and get yourself a T4 as the main PVR and a T2 as your development/hacking box. You can trade in your old PVRs
The HDDs are nearly full though, pity I can't just pull out the HDDs and stick in a NAS and be useful for the T4 as is, no transferring/converting.  I kept looking at that trading option from BW thinking "hey, I might still need all my PVRs, I have nothing to trade" lol.  The 5K I keep around just in case someone one day wants me to check something TAP wise ;).
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

Chopsus

I don't know for sure, but I thought I noticed the possibility of saving recordings to a network location (ie:NAS) when dreading through the T3/4 settings?

prl

Quote from: Chopsus on October 14, 2015, 09:22:28 AM
I don't know for sure, but I thought I noticed the possibility of saving recordings to a network location (ie:NAS) when dreading through the T3/4 settings?
The T series setup is not the most user-friendly in the world, but "dreading" is a bit strong ;)

It's possible to set the default recording location to any folder, including to a NAS. It's also possible to set the recording location for a manual timer or an AutoTimer to be any folder.

If you're answering tonymy01's post, though, that's not what he's asking: he (ideally) wants to be able to play DP series recordings on a T series without any conversion, and he knows that's not currently possible.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

EdQld

Mark tried to use the PVR9600's f/w on the Skippa without luck, but perhaps all might not be lost, Altech UEC's next Unit might
have the same internals/SOC as the Skippa and we can then use it's f/w to get our Skippa's running again?

In the meantime we need to keep the Skippa alive in the Media and associated with the manufacturer, Altech UEC, to encourage them
to provide us with a f/w update to give the Skippa access to the FTA EPG

I just don't want to end up with a permanent, expensive paperweight

gibster

Come on someone..... Keep the IceTV Guide service going :)
BeyonWiz V2

lespato

You would think someone would invest in the Icetv service as it is not being done by anybody. There is nothing else on the market like it. Just reading the forums there are loads of people that will miss it. I think if a company took it over which had an advertising budget I think with the proper promotion they would have a real winner on their hands. I joined in 2011.Only stubbled on Icetv while surfing the net. I am the only one in our street with it. Nobody has heard of it. I showed my neighbour how it worked setting recordings   from your phone and he couldn't believe it. We all just took it for granted when we had it.
Anyway  just my thoughts. Best wishes to Dave and the rest of the staff.

lcp

Heideho

So Gizmodo is reporting that Ice TV is now officially dead and buried. Can anyone confirm that?
Brisbane

gibster

I expect we'll get some kind of work from the administrators soon one way or the other.

Wonder what kind of money it would take to get the guide part of the business.
BeyonWiz V2

prl

Quote from: lespato on October 14, 2015, 03:33:57 PMYou would think someone would invest in the Icetv service ...
Read Dave at IceTV's farewell message. There was. They couldn't secure some of the IceTV staff that they thought they needed to keep it running.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use