IceTv in Voluntary Administarion

Started by emmsee, October 07, 2015, 05:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Q

Quote from: kidhazy on October 12, 2015, 04:42:53 PM
Quote from: Mr_Q on October 12, 2015, 03:44:59 PM
It's also annoying that they've removed any details about our current expiry dates which makes making any claims difficult.

It's still there.   You need to go to the "My Records" tab and hover your mouse over the Ice TV logo next to your device and it will be displayed in a pop-up bubble.
Thanks for that. Silly me was looking on the page for it. :P

Chopsus

Sorry @$7.99 someone is living in the previous decade ... That close to the close of a Netflix or Stan subscription and there is no way I am paying THAT much to access An online FTA Guide ... Half that perhaps but this is gouging loyal subscribers to cover their own incompetence!

the FTA guide and auto timers on the T3 are way better value this this proposed rip off!

IanL-S

Quote from: Chopsus on October 12, 2015, 05:51:05 PM
Sorry @$7.99 someone is living in the previous decade ... That close to the close of a Netflix or Stan subscription and there is no way I am paying THAT much to access An online FTA Guide ... Half that perhaps but this is gouging loyal subscribers to cover their own incompetence!

the FTA guide and auto timers on the T3 are way better value this this proposed rip off!

I think it good value given the way I use my PVRs. It is the remote management of recordings that provides the greatest value to me, closely followed by knowing a transmission is a repeat or not. Just depends on what an individual values.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Stalky

Quote from: bodogbodog on October 12, 2015, 04:41:22 PM
I've responded YES - lets hope it can be realised
For those vowing never to deal with the ex ICETV management - I suspect some of them will be involved in the new entity - so be prepared to have to accept that or not utilise the new EPG and make alternate arrangements

As an aside I have loved the Skippa ad skipping function (when it works) - its been great to have - but not sure how long that's going to be available for

If any of the previous management are involved in a new "IceTV" company, I'll walk away, throw my Skippa in the bin, and buy something totally unrelated (probably a Beyonwiz or such running on the std EPG). I can't stand being lied to or being led along for a ride!

nis200sx

Quote from: gas667 on October 12, 2015, 03:37:05 PM
As long as it's a new company with no links to the old.

At least i got my Skippa (actually not sure if that was a bonus - could have lodged a claim with Paypal otherwise) but if anyone from the old company shows up in the new one I won't have anything to do with their products (management and board that is - not support or other staff).

I sent an email explaining all this to support and saying Yes if it's a totally different company. Not sure if it will count but there you go.

I don't have a problem with the existing/previous owner(s) rescuing ice tv. 

Going by what I have been told by icetv staff, once it all comes out we will realise that the management and owners of icetv were not to blame for the current situation. It plays out like a falling row of dominos as they struggled to reverse the unfolding situation.

Apparently ice tv got repeatedly stuffed around and lied to by a company that was supplying their Skippa and then repeatedly changed their terms as they went along. Previously agreed to shared development costs became solely icetv's costs, skippa's manufacturing cost price went up minimum order quantities tripled, then they had to pay in full in advance, and delivery timeframes blew out to 4 months, the manufacturer suddenly decided to cease operations in Australia on 30 September and the manufacturer's previously arranged service and retail distribution deals vanished. Once icetv realised that to meet the current version of these ever changing terms they would need to then operate dangerously close to the red for the next 6 months with no guarantee of retail chain stores taking up the skippa and aus post making more profit from delivering each skippa than ice tv would make last thursday one of ice tv's secured creditors called in the substantial loan that they had lent the company during the time of the channel nine court cases (where the court awarded costs were millions less than the actual costs), and to ensure icetv's growth over the following years. Once the funds from that loan were demanded the house of cards came down.

Even though I and my family are losing a combined decade of subscriptions I personally would still subscribe to a new/similar version of the ice guide and series recording as long UEC are not involved and I would prefer Colin O'Brien and the current/previous staff to still be involved. Colin is said to have been the enthusiastic driving force behind ice tv for the last decade or more and at least with him involved I'm confident that the right person is steering the ship. I believe O'Brien and his family have lost millions.

Dave

Chopsus

Quote from: IanL-S on October 12, 2015, 06:13:07 PM
Quote from: Chopsus on October 12, 2015, 05:51:05 PM

I think it good value given the way I use my PVRs. It is the remote management of recordings that provides the greatest value to me, closely followed by knowing a transmission is a repeat or not. Just depends on what an individual values.

Ian

I have 1 pvr and always felt this multiple recorders was a con ... How many synchronous programs can you need to record anyway?  My T3 has 4 tuners and that is overkill.
Ice TV has been great to keep my timers organised, but it won't be that hard to convert them across to auto timers ... The only missing thing for me will be the occasional remote recording, but with all the free catch up services, who cares.

I really cannot see value in $8 per month ... $96 a year! Que Michael Caton: "Tell em their dreamin" there just ain't enough archivists, like those expressing the value proposition here, to make it work.

My prediction is they will require a year up front.... Service will decline ... Then they will bugger off with 3-6 months of the second bite you guys are going to pay them.

Paul55

Quote from: Eelsfan05 on October 12, 2015, 05:43:06 PM
I will vote No. Once bitten twice shy. I'll get Netflix instead for that price.

Don't forget to include the cost of a higher data plan for Netflix. Also, if you want Netflix on multiple devices, it will also cost more than $8 per month.
You also won't get a lot of shows that are still on FTA.
Netflix has done a brilliant job of promoting itself but make sure you know what you will (and won't) get.

grmarks

My skippa will not record, seems it is linked only to the ice TV program guide. Is anyone who worked on the programming for skippa what to write a software update that will let it function as a normal PVR? After all it has 3 tuners so it is still useful for catching multiple programs on at the same time even without the ice TV EPG.
As it is now it's just a boat anchor. 

halcyonjohn

I'm with you Warkus

I feel for Dave and the others who have given exemplary service for many years.  I truly hope that they, and their company, can continue.  I have voted 'Yes' to indicate my willingness to contribute more dollars to the company's survival even though I've lost two subscriptions, and have a Skippa box that may not have an EPG (and hence the ability to record) if the company cannot find a buyer.  BTW: My wife and I have been retired for some years, so this really hurts.

Quote from: warkus on October 07, 2015, 09:16:25 PM
Dave,

I feel for you and your staff and what you must be going through at present.

Are you still employed?

Can you give some indication on what's going to happen next? is the guide going to continue to be produced, at least for the interim?

Will the shipment of Skippas that were supposed to be in stock now ever see the light of day?

Will Skippa FTA firmware now be released based on these events?

So many questions...

bodogbodog

Quote from: nis200sx on October 12, 2015, 06:23:15 PM
I don't have a problem with the existing/previous owner(s) rescuing ice tv. 
Going by what I have been told by icetv staff, once it all comes out we will realise that the management and owners of icetv were not to blame for the current situation. It plays out like a falling row of dominos as they struggled to reverse the unfolding situation.
I don't have any inside insight but what you describe makes sense - the supplier they chose for Skippa let them down badly in terms of quality and their demise (at least at a local level) bought down both companies
I'm ok with the existing/previous owner(s) rescuing IceTV
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

bodogbodog

Quote from: Chopsus on October 12, 2015, 06:56:10 PM
...but it won't be that hard to convert them across to auto timers ...

Way you go - pop back and let us know when you've got it working as from what I've heard from experienced Wiz users achieving IceTV functionality through Auto Timers will not be easy.
As Michael Caton said it may be a case of "tell them they're dreaming"...
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

Chopsus

Quote from: Paul55 on October 12, 2015, 06:57:14 PM
Quote from: Eelsfan05 on October 12, 2015, 05:43:06 PM
I will vote No. Once bitten twice shy. I'll get Netflix instead for that price.

Don't forget to include the cost of a higher data plan for Netflix. Also, if you want Netflix on multiple devices, it will also cost more than $8 per month.
You also won't get a lot of shows that are still on FTA.
Netflix has done a brilliant job of promoting itself but make sure you know what you will (and won't) get.

On iinet and westnet Netflix traffic is free 8D

Chopsus

Quote from: bodogbodog on October 12, 2015, 09:29:04 PM
...but it won't be that hard to convert them across to auto timers ...

Way you go - pop back and let us know when you've got it working as from what I've heard from experienced Wiz users achieving IceTV functionality through Auto Timers will not be easy.
As Michael Caton said it may be a case of "tell them they're dreaming"...

There just timers mate, not rocket science ... I've had a mix since I got the beyonwiz and ICETV screwed up my areas EPG anyway for all Win programming.

nis200sx

I have 1 pvr and always felt this multiple recorders was a con ... How many synchronous programs can you need to record anyway?  My T3 has 4 tuners and that is overkill.
Ice TV has been great to keep my timers organised, but it won't be that hard to convert them across to auto timers ... The only missing thing for me will be the occasional remote recording, but with all the free catch up services, who cares.

Multiple recorders wasn't a con. Most people only have 1, so allowing you to have multiple recorders on 1 account was a bonus only for the small percentage who are power users. I think they said they increased it to 10 because some skipper buyers already had 5 recorders.

Catchup doesn't show every program, and my Beyonwiz is hopeless for viewing the catchup channels, so I'd rather record it when it was aired... which brings me back to needing ice tv.

IMHO auto timers and taps are a poor second if they have to use the fta guide.

My prediction is they will require a year up front.... Service will decline ... Then they will bugger off with 3-6 months of the second bite you guys are going to pay them.

I read it is as $8 per month, paid by the month. So the most we could lose is less than $8.
Dave

Chuckles

Despite being a long time IceTV subscriber with a registered e-mail address which successfully receives messages from IceTV, I haven't received any e-mails regarding the appointment of administrators, nor the latest query re: whether I would resubscribe to the EPG service. I've learned of both via the Beyonwiz forums.  ::)

I would express my interest in re-subscribing to the EPG service, but I have no e-mail and hence no link to click.

I wonder how many other people have also not received any communication and have absolutely no idea this is going on...