IceTv in Voluntary Administarion

Started by emmsee, October 07, 2015, 05:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jezza

I replied with as yes, as although I have money lost with IceTV, I always felt it was a cheap offering and found it was always very useful and accurate for our needs.

lespato

I renewed about a year ago for 5 years. But I would miss the guide if it went. Wanting to vote yes but GaryT makes a good point. How many devices will they allow for $7.99 per month. This was not mentioned. If it is 1 device per subscription then I would reconsider my vote. I am wondering also if they would keep the existing staff. Dave and the others know the system inside out.

lcp

IanL-S

Quote from: logger on October 12, 2015, 04:01:37 PM
I understand the Skippa project is defunct.

However for those of us who actually have Skippas..... Is there any possibility that a licenced version of the Ice TV EPG, operated by a 3rd party would provide Ad skipping functionality.   

I read a suggestion the current lack of skipping is due to a firmware issue. But is true or could it really be due to lack of a monkey in the organ grinder?

I guess my real Q is... IS the Ad Skipping possible with nothing but a functioning Skippa firmware and the Ice TV EPG.   

My vote is YES as I have nothing else to lose and I can actually decide at a later a date is I wish to proceed.

The add-skipping subscription was, as I understand it, to cover the cost of updating the relevant part of the firmware. Provided that the need to log into the relevant server at least once a day is removed, it will continue to operate indefinitely (problably with ever-decreasing efficiency due to changes in the way adds are placed by commercial TV networks).
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

IanL-S

The way the IceTV Interactive servers currently work, devices with device specific subscriptions are included in the max number of devices that can be used. So, if you have 4 non-SKIPPA devices and a SKIPPA, and the max number of devices allowed per account is say 6, then the SKIPPA will be able to access the service. If it is less than 5, then one or more device would not be able to access the service. This was one reason why they increased the number of devices from 5 to 10 ... because there would be some users who would be unable to add their SKIPPA to there existing account.

The same applies for other device specific subscriptions.

Of course, they new owners could change this.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

SpocksBeer

It'd have to be unlimited devices for that price - $7.99 is almost the cost of a Netflix or Stan subscription. I voted yes, but that's also a lot of money for my usage pattern (I've got the Skippa and occasionally use NextPVR with a HDHomeRun as a backup).

I think we're starting to get a feel for exactly how little lube they're going to use with the people who were actually delivered a Skippa...

Stalky

I'm a 'yes' (losing 4+years subs to 2019 and my "lifetime" Skippa sub in the meantime) but only on the no-previous-management proviso that others have raised. Happy to have the "workers" from the old IceTV roll over to a new company but certainly none of the hierarchy. That's a given!

logger

Quote from: IanL-S on October 12, 2015, 04:09:06 PM
Quote from: logger on October 12, 2015, 04:01:37 PM
I understand the Skippa project is defunct.

However for those of us who actually have Skippas..... Is there any possibility that a licenced version of the Ice TV EPG, operated by a 3rd party would provide Ad skipping functionality.   

I read a suggestion the current lack of skipping is due to a firmware issue. But is true or could it really be due to lack of a monkey in the organ grinder?

I guess my real Q is... IS the Ad Skipping possible with nothing but a functioning Skippa firmware and the Ice TV EPG.   

My vote is YES as I have nothing else to lose and I can actually decide at a later a date is I wish to proceed.

The add-skipping subscription was, as I understand it, to cover the cost of updating the relevant part of the firmware. Provided that the need to log into the relevant server at least once a day is removed, it will continue to operate indefinitely (problably with ever-decreasing efficiency due to changes in the way adds are placed by commercial TV networks).

Thanks, Sounds slightly promising then. I will definitely pay for the EPG if it allows skipping to function.

Likkie

Well I voted YES even though, like many of you, I had years of subscription left.

I've been an IceTV user for 10 years, I like it and I want it to continue.

I don't really care about ad-skipping but I do care about having an accurate and complete TV guide and the automated scheduling is fantastic.  We won't get anything like that elsewhere.

They aren't asking you to commit to anything, they are just trying to suss out numbers to see if it is a viable option moving forward.

zoszos68

I just got my email today at 3:02 pm and as I had been in Adelaide (back in Melbourne now) on a short holiday I had not read the forums till after the email.

Not surprised but still annoying although I did get a Skippa it will be useless unless a buyer is found or the firmware can be changed to allow the fta guide or any guide online for that mater.

I will now read right through the thread.

Kevin

Edit I voted yes as well.

bodogbodog

I've responded YES - lets hope it can be realised
For those vowing never to deal with the ex ICETV management - I suspect some of them will be involved in the new entity - so be prepared to have to accept that or not utilise the new EPG and make alternate arrangements

As an aside I have loved the Skippa ad skipping function (when it works) - its been great to have - but not sure how long that's going to be available for
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

kidhazy

Quote from: Mr_Q on October 12, 2015, 03:44:59 PM
It's also annoying that they've removed any details about our current expiry dates which makes making any claims difficult.

It's still there.   You need to go to the "My Records" tab and hover your mouse over the Ice TV logo next to your device and it will be displayed in a pop-up bubble.
Thanks,
kidhazy.

IanL-S

Add-skipping is not particularly important to me. But I would like my SKIPPA to work properly. For that to happen IceTV EPG and IceTV Interactive are essential.

I am happy to pay the equivalent of two (large) cups of coffee each month to keep my 5 Toppys and SKIPPA humming along because they have IceTV. From the time I took out my last subscription update (4 years for under $150) I knew there was a risk that I would loose all or some of it. It is a sunk cost and irrelevant to my desire to keep my PVRs Iced.

Ian
Synology NAS

ghuth

Many of our questions have been answered fairly well, one way or another.

One that remains unanswered for me is with regards to the following quote from the email above received October 2 and signed by Heinz Herrmann.

QuoteWe're pleased to confirm that our backlog of SKIPPA® orders has finally been cleared. Australia Post will be sending tracking numbers on Tuesday due to the long weekend in New South Wales.

We've had some unexpected delays, both in the factory and with the current strike at Customs. But we have plenty of supply now in our warehouse to fulfill every order.

I suppose having "plenty of stock in our warehouse" was poorly worded at best.

I'd love some commentary from an employee (Dave?) on this one...

EdQld

I also voted yes, but like most that is conditional to the Skippa f/w being supported.

I would want a fully functional Skippa, including Ad Skipping, which I quite liked, when it was working   ;)

Eelsfan05

I will vote No. Once bitten twice shy. I'll get Netflix instead for that price.