Skippa partial freeze when playing back online catchup content

Started by Twisterinc, October 02, 2015, 06:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twisterinc

Hi Guys

Not sure if this has been reported anywhere else...

I have had more than a few instances where the video freezes during playback of online catchup content like Plus 7 or Tenplay. It looks like the Skippa is trying to autoskip the ads but occasionally loses the plot and the video freezes. I then have to press Stop and fast forward back to where it froze. Play generally continues normally after that.

The autoskip is weird during the ads as well. The first few seconds of the ad are played then the screen goes blank and the next ad starts. The process continues until the show starts again.. Is this an autoskip issue or something else?

Cheers

Rob

IanL-S

It is not how autoskip is supposed to work. Are you sure that the SKIPPA has finished processing the recording?

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Twisterinc

Hi Ian

That's just it, this is catchup TV streaming direct from the Internet. I wouldn't have though autoskip would even process this but I can't explain what is happening in the ad breaks on this media. If you watch it on a PC there is no way to skip the ads in the stream and they run from beginning to end.

It looks almost like autoskip is trying to process the stream... I'll try disabling autoskip and see if the problem goes away.

Cheers

Rob

Leon K

Quote from: Twisterinc on October 03, 2015, 11:29:36 PM
I wouldn't have though autoskip would even process this but I can't explain what is happening in the ad breaks on this media. If you watch it on a PC there is no way to skip the ads in the stream and they run from beginning to end.

It looks almost like autoskip is trying to process the stream... I'll try disabling autoskip and see if the problem goes away.

Cheers

Rob

Hey Rob,

SKIPPA doesn't process AutoSkip on HbbTV, you can disable the playback of AutoSkip when watching a recorded show, but not the actual processing - AutoSkip will automatically process all shows that are recorded, in priority order of Genre, starting with News.

Cheers,
Leon

Twisterinc

Thanks Leon

Must be something else going on with the station catchup TV ads then.. It is annoying having to start over when the ads crash but from further investigation it looks like it's mainly seven plus that has this problem...

BTW, while I was messing around with the settings last night the Skippa froze and I couldn't get it back even with a hard (power off) restart. I ended up doing a factory reset on it and even then was not able to connect via the wired LAN. It kept telling me that the Internet was not available even though I was getting an IP address and other devices on the same switch as the Skippa were working fine on the Internet. The boot kept stalling at initialising Skippa and loading guide. I checked the Ice website and everything appeared to be ok there, no outage.. I then changed to wireless and then the startup went through without any issues. I have not had time to switch back to wired and retest yet but will do that later.

Cheers

Rob

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: Twisterinc on October 04, 2015, 03:11:00 PM
Must be something else going on with the station catchup TV ads then.. It is annoying having to start over when the ads crash but from further investigation it looks like it's mainly seven plus that has this problem...

Hi Rob,

I had the problems you describe more than a month ago with an early beta software. I was playing some catchup shows on tenplay while not actually watching them and they would stop at the ad in the middle of the show if I didn't press ok to answer an onscreen prompt. The other catchup channels all worked normally.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service