DLNA Streaming

Started by stretch4x4, October 01, 2015, 10:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stretch4x4

So thanks to Warkus I got something to stream off the Skippa using Kodi (xbmc) however it is a bit overkill for what I am trying to do..

I was hoping that I would be able to use VLC because I have it installed on almost everything (and because it plays almost everything) but sadly I can't get it to appear in the UPNP part of the library :(

I had a look at the properties in windows of the Skippa and noticed it had a url:
http://<skippaiphere>:54321/mnt/usb1/DLNA/html/index.html

But sadly this loads a blank page, so maybe that is why VLC can't find anything..?

Anybody had any success with VLC or something similar?

warkus

That isn't a skippa problem, it's a VLC player problem, my understanding is there current offering (v2.2.x I think) is having major issues with network devices like upnp discovery etc...

Not sure if these issues still exist in the v3 betas that are around but anyway, perhaps check back on the VLC web site on occasion to see if v3 is out yet and try that...

Note to anyone else trying to use VLC, don't bother until that issue is fixed, at present network discovery in VLC is not working properly.

Or perhaps try an older version that may work, I don't have one lower than current version so haven't tested that theory...

Mark

stretch4x4

Ahhhhhh..
I did read some rumblings about that but most of the threads I saw had people that got it working.. So assumed it was working again..

It's a shame VLC seems to have issues like that from time to time.. I tried several years ago to setup a device like the skippa to record and stream around our share house.. I could get a single tuner to work ok.. but after that vlc just had some issues that made it impossible :( Gave up and now I am glad skippa has come along :D Fingers crossed the live tv part comes eventually to complete it :p

Right will take a look at the betas / an old version and see if I can make that work and report back!

Thanks for the info :)

Edit: vlc-3.0.0-git-20151001-0402-win64.exe no good on my windows 8 laptop crashes before it starts with a command line error

stretch4x4

So turns out there is something different between the exe and the zip.. Zip version starts and can see the Skippa in UPNP devices but it doesn't find anything inside there..

Will keep investigating

stretch4x4

Seems the Skippa server doesn't support the Browse command so VLC can't find anything..

Have made a post on the VLC forums so will see what I can figure out

warkus

I realise your looking for a solution at any cost for VLC and I wish you all the best in the pursuit, hopefully you succeed...

Like I've already said, it's not the Skippa...

Here is just one of hundreds of examples...

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows8/comments/326qh4/upnpdlna_client_for_windows_other_than_vlc_or_kodi/

You are not alone...

stretch4x4

Haha, no not any cost, it just seems like VLC has the feature and it is broken. So if I can contribute by making someone aware and doing some research then hopefully that benefits everyone :) Same with all the bugs I have mentioned on here, just trying to contribute to the community.

I agree that the skippa can successfully stream, however I am not sure what version of UPNP / DLNA it is using and what commands it supports. Maybe there are a couple that the skippa could support but doesn't..? But I suspect you are right that it is more likely VLC has a bug or doesn't support whatever version of the protocols that the skippa is using.

More research required :)

warkus

VLC won't even see my windows home server 2011 DLNA, or any of the 4 other DLNA server setups I have on my network, yet my windows 10 PC and Kodi sees them all as do each other (devices).

It's sad but true, VLC has issues...

stretch4x4

Maybe try the zip version of the 3.0 beta.. That at least found my devices but just not the content..

That raises another point I need to try windows media player again because I didn't have any luck with that on windows 8 which surprised me :(
I have previously used windows media player to play things to another screen but not sure what I am doing differently now..

warkus

Tried the zip version too, no joy. Hopefully they fix the issues soon.

As for WMP, it works and sees the Skippa fine, but by default does not support TS playback.

You can install k-lite codec pack, basic is all I put on, and this fixes that problem and they then stream fine, but seriously, why in the world would you want to use WMP, lol. I'd rather keep using Kodi.