Skippa - Feedback & Questions

Started by Aussiebec, October 01, 2015, 09:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prl

Quote from: SkippaLounge on October 03, 2015, 04:10:42 PM
Any way I wanted to know why when making a series recording does it have to contact the server? What is it doing at this point and why can't whatever it is wait for the next 10min check in.
If the SKIPPA series recordings work the same way (apart from being able to set them on the PVR), what happens is SKIPPA sends series recording to the IceTV server, IceTV server works out what recording timers need to be set, IceTV sends the recording timers to the SKIPPA.

If the recording should start in 5 minutes, you'd probably not want it to wait 10 minutes to set up the recordings :)

Why is this behaviour a problem? The amounts of data involved are very small.

Quote from: SkippaLounge on October 03, 2015, 04:10:42 PMAlso if there is a conflict when setting multiple recordings you get an email to notify you (before or after the fact?) but is there no instant on screen message that says this?
No internal mechanism to know as you set recordings that there is a conflict
That's the same as for other IceTV devices. The server doesn't have a model of how recording timers interact with each other, so it doesn't know whether a recording that it wants to send will be accepted by the PVR. So when the server sends the recording timer, the PVR sends back a confirmation to the server saying whether the timers could be set. The server then marks an error on the web site/app and sends you an email.

The PVR could put up a popup error message at the time the error is detected, but I don't know whether any IceTV PVRs do that. Beyonwiz ones certainly don't.

Having such popups might be annoying if they happen when you'd rather just be watching a recording.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

SkippaLounge

Thanks for your reply prl
I guess I was thinking if the skippa receives frequent epg updates anyway then you could cut out the middle man (server) and have no pop up/set up delay at all.
I'm sure there's many advantages of a cloud based box over a closed one such as ph and pc control ect.
Thanks again and can't wait to try Icetv and skippa out soon

Carljh

Like a few others I have experienced a number of programs that did not record, probably nearly as many as were successful!  Hopefully this issue will be resolved on Tuesday with the new update.  Also, like many others on this forum, I am a long time TiVo user who is getting in early before they 'pull the plug' in Australia as it is several years now since the unit was available for sale.  One of the many good things with TiVo was that it was very rare for a scheduled program not to record at all, in fact I can't remember the last time this happened to me.  I was just wondering with the long-time IceTV users if this recording issue is just common to Skippa or whether it is an regular occurrence with other PVR's using this EPG?  My intention was to use the Skippa as my main PVR and the TiVo as a backup but may have to reverse this decision and use the TiVo as my primary unit for as long as possible.  The ad skipping feature of Skippa was not a draw card for me as it's not a hassle to fast forward through adverts.  I have found ad skipping a bit hit and miss (but good when it works) and can't understand IceTV's logic in leaving promos in there.  Overall though, I am quite happy with the unit itself.

IanL-S

Problems with programs not recording are 99.95% due to the PVR not doing the right thing. There is a bug in the IceTV module of Topfield firmware that can result in the problems with consecutive programs on the same LCN, and the start time for both is adjusted. The good news is that when this happens IceTV server sends you an email (if you have activated that service) saying that it had trouble with the particular timer.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

csutak40

Quote from: Carljh on October 04, 2015, 10:53:50 AM
The ad skipping feature of Skippa was not a draw card for me as it's not a hassle to fast forward through adverts.  I have found ad skipping a bit hit and miss (but good when it works) and can't understand IceTV's logic in leaving promos in there.

It just doesn't cease to amuse me that Heinz said in his podcast (which is the only way he is willing to communicate with the public -AKA his customers-) that  it was the customers who asked for ad skip.

I actually went through this Forum, going back to when Heinz first announced the  "IceCube". Not once did I see a post of anyone requesting this "feature".  I think most of us were also dubious as to how well it will work (even before we found out that it was an optional extra)

I think most of us were quite happy with skipping the ads with buttons on the remote set for various time intervals.

I have seen requests for lots of other things, most of which can now be found in the Skippa  "Wish List" thread, as none of those, oft repeated, requests were included on the "Skippa" that was finally supplied (to some)
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

jas55

where is the new software update it is Tuesday

FMB

Has anyone noticed how damn hot these things get? I had mine sitting on top of my new Bluray player. When it wasn't working, I went to check cables. I couldn't touch the Skippa. I've now moved the Bluray player and hope Skippa hasn't killed it.

stretch4x4

I just felt mine, can happily put my hand on it.. certainly far from cold but I wouldn't call it hot.

IanL-S

I noticed my SKIPPA was hot the other day, and so were the Toppys that are in the same case. Turned out the USB HUB to which the ventilating fans are attached had died. Replaced the USB Hub and all the units (including the SKIPPA) are much cooler.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help