Skippa User Experience so far

Started by Naffnick, September 24, 2015, 11:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: Mantorok on September 24, 2015, 02:24:24 PM
4.  I don't like the way the Favourite Channel feature works. I like to be able to press Ch Up/Down and only see my Fav Channels. You have to press the FAV button to cycle forwards through the channels and then press OK.  Maybe a feature in a future firmware update.

On every PVR I own I just disable all of the channels I don't want. So the remaining normal channel list contains only my favourite channels. If you use the high numbered simulcast channels the remaining channels automatically group themselves by network. After disabling unwanted channels my regular channel list looks like this:

44 (until it's demise late next year)
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

JPP

Quote from: FMB on September 25, 2015, 04:52:57 PM
As I understand it, if you want the TiVo style functionality of switching between tuners, you have to record the other program. Then, when you switch to that channel, you will have the buffer available to you. Not ideal and will require extra housekeeping duties. I haven't tried it myself yet.
Yes, essentially it needs to have 2 time shift buffers running simultaneously. Note, that from memory, the TiVo's buffers were limited to just a 1 hour buffer each.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

FMB

Quote from: JPP on September 25, 2015, 06:20:06 PM
Quote from: FMB on September 25, 2015, 04:52:57 PM
As I understand it, if you want the TiVo style functionality of switching between tuners, you have to record the other program. Then, when you switch to that channel, you will have the buffer available to you. Not ideal and will require extra housekeeping duties. I haven't tried it myself yet.
Yes, essentially it needs to have 2 time shift buffers running simultaneously. Note, that from memory, the TiVo's buffers were limited to just a 1 hour buffer each.

I thought it was 30 minutes, but whatever.

I downloaded an iPad app called 8Player lite and connected to the Skippa. I was able to see and watch a recorded program. Cool. Although the video files didn't appear under video, but Raw files.

Dave at IceTV

If you're timeshifting and you want to change channels just press record.

If you want to switch back and forth between 2 channels use the back button.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

GXK

Quote from: rob762 on September 24, 2015, 06:43:46 PM
4. Ad-skipping is hit & miss. Watching animated shows (Simpsons, Futurama) seems to trick it and the ad-skip triggers in the middle of the show and cuts off minutes of non-ad content. In non-animated shows it does OK but is only correct about 50% of the time.

Hello. I have had no problems with the auto ad skipping except for animated shows like the Simpsons. The skippa really has problems with these types of shows. I have found it better to not use the ad skipping feature for animated series. But I have had no problems with live action shows and movies. I am yet to record any live sport.. Monday morning, three NFL games back to back will be a solid test.

I like the ice tv app etc. I have not used ice tv before I received my skippa. It would be great if the app also had a tablet version as I am rather fond of my iPad. The web site however, works great on the iPad.

Other than the long wait for the skippa to arrive, I am happy with it now that it has arrived.

dooboy

Thanks for the reply - happy that Skippa will wake up and record

Next Question - or gripe?

The pause play seems to be one button and you press the top for pause and the bottom for play

On my remote I can pause easily but when I try to play again it doesn't work very well at all - at first I thought I was doing something wrong but then it worked - once!

In playing around I can get it to play about 1 in every 10 or so presses - am I holding my tongue wrong? or is this "toggle" key somehow not working (similar to other people saying the keys get "stuck") and not able to work the contact?
Beats me why they used a "toggle" button and not just 2 buttons (or one button that pauses on first press and plays on the next etc....)

Doo

Quote from: Leon K on September 25, 2015, 04:44:24 PM
Quote from: dooboy on September 25, 2015, 04:36:42 PM
1 - Skippa has a power button - on and standby - Tivo didn't and was always on - If I put Skippa into standby will it still record or is standby a mode you only use when you don't want anything to record? (this is what I assume but couldn't see any explanation in manual)

2 - Tivo had a button to switch between tuners - handy if you are recording on both and just want to jump back and forth - or as an easy way to flick between 2 shows - say footy and cricket with just one button press - does Skippa have this function (can't find a button to swap the tuner you are viewing)

Hey Doo,

1 - Yes SKIPPA will record in stand-by and continue to update the guide and the timer list, it will automatically wake to record shows as they are broadcast.

2 - There is no direct way to swap the tuner you are viewing, SKIPPA handles all Tuner assignment automatically, at the moment there is no shortcut button to bounce between two shows at the same time.

Paul55

Quote from: GXK on September 26, 2015, 01:30:32 AM
I like the ice tv app etc. It would be great if the app also had a tablet version as I am rather fond of my iPad.

I don't inhabit iWorld, but the I have the IceTV app on my Android tablets. It surprises me that there isn't a version available for Apple tablets.

bodogbodog

Quote from: IanL-S on September 25, 2015, 03:37:16 PMIt found both my PlexServer and my iTunes server. The media player cannot play iTunes video (bit of a let down)

Ian - what sort of streaming performance are you getting?
My files on my server are visible but the speed of scrolling through the Media menu to browse them is unacceptably slow - I don't believe its my network as I'm using a wired Ethernet connection and doing the same thing on my Beyonwiz works perfectly fine

So far my impressions are that Skippa is "not ready" - while the Guide and Recording appear to be working fine the Media Streaming is unacceptable as it is either very slow to respond or it causes the device to lock up. That then requires a physical power off by pulling the plug which can't be good for the device

I have to say after reading others comments on the setup process I was dreading plugging it in - but the set up and channel scan went fine and the IceTV programming works fine.

There's a few other things that are bugging me but I want to give the unit time to settle in before itemising those

At this point I certainly won't be retiring my Beyonwiz or my Windows Media Center - and certainly not handing it over to she who must be obeyed for acceptance testing!

Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

bodogbodog

I like the ice tv app etc. It would be great if the app also had a tablet version as I am rather fond of my iPad.
You just run the IceTV iPhone app on your iPad and increase the size of it (like many other iOS applications that don't have iPad specific apps) - I've been using that for years.
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

IanL-S

Quote from: Paul55 on September 26, 2015, 03:09:55 PM

I don't inhabit iWorld, but the I have the IceTV app on my Android tablets. It surprises me that there isn't a version available for Apple tablets.

The iPhone version can be loaded on an iPad. I have had it on my ageing iPad 2 since I got it.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

IanL-S

Quote from: bodogbodog on September 26, 2015, 03:14:53 PM
Quote from: IanL-S on September 25, 2015, 03:37:16 PMIt found both my PlexServer and my iTunes server. The media player cannot play iTunes video (bit of a let down)

Ian - what sort of streaming performance are you getting?
My files on my server are visible but the speed of scrolling through the Media menu to browse them is unacceptably slow - I don't believe its my network as I'm using a wired Ethernet connection and doing the same thing on my Beyonwiz works perfectly fine

I too am essentially all wired Ethernet (cat 5e) using a series 10/100/1000 switches. The NAS is a Synology unit, 4 HDDs in raid 5. The PlexServer is installed but I have not got around to adding media to it. The listing of data through the Media Player was relatively fast.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

GXK

Nope. The ice tv app shows as iPhone only. iTunes does not give me the option to load on my iPad and searching the App Store shows zero results on the iPad... Even searching through purchased apps.

JPP

It runs just as well on the iPad though (certainly on iOS 8) - you just have to scale it up to X2, i.e. it's not optimised to make use of the larger screen area.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: GXK on September 26, 2015, 03:29:44 PM
Nope. The ice tv app shows as iPhone only. iTunes does not give me the option to load on my iPad and searching the App Store shows zero results on the iPad... Even searching through purchased apps.

iPad users need to download the app from the iPhone apps section in the iTunes Store.

Please tap the App Store icon, then tap Purchased (at the bottom), and then tap "iPad Apps" under the search bar and select "iPhone Apps" to change the category to display iPhone apps, and you will be able to see the IceTV TV Guide App.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

hoadie

I've had mine a couple of days now and overall I'm really impressed thus far. The only minor criticisms I have are with the remote control (it's cheap and the unit seems to have a very narrow receiving angle) and the use of a power brick, and it's a big one too! As a component in a home entertainment system, it doesn't really make sense having an external PSU.

It was very quick to get set up, seems fast and responsive, and the UI is pretty well laid out, and the Skippa feature works well so far (not that I have much recorded yet).

Oh and the FreeviewPlus features work well too.