Skippa Warranty Question?

Started by Naffnick, September 10, 2015, 03:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naffnick

Hi All,

First time poster here, so my apologies if this has already been dealt with elsewhere.

Just wondering about the Skippa 12 month warranty. The current Skippa manual (V1.2) states on page 61 that the warranty will be for 12 months from the date of purchase. I paid for my Skippa back at the end of May as one of the early pre-orders. I still haven't received it and if I don't receive it until the end of September, that's 4 months since I made the purchase. What happens if I try to make a warranty claim in June next year, which would be well within a 12 month period of the unit being delivered and operational? Will IceTV honour the warranty for 12 months from the delivery date or am I left with a warranty covering 4 months when I didn't even have the unit?

As this is their first foray into their own branded PVR I think there's an increased possibility of things going horribly wrong (not saying it will - just that it's more likely that there will be "teething problems"), increasing the likelihood of warranty claims. Personally I'd be a little peeved if the unit failed after 8 or 9 months only to discover the warranty period had expired.

I think this is worth getting in writing somewhere so it's crystal clear.

Cheers,
Callum

warkus

It's certainly a very valid question, but considering they haven't even been delivered yet, there is little to zero chance that they could lawfully enforce warranty from the actual date of purchase. The ACCC would have a field day with that one so rest assured your warranty will be valid for a full 12 months after delivery is made, I don't think they could legally enforce the blurb in the manual at all, which by the way is a pretty standard blurb in most product manuals.

On the point of possible issues and needing to make warranty claims, rest assured that the unit is being outsourced (manufacturing) to a very large OEM that has a proven history and very good name in the industry, with over 25million PVR units manufacturered world wide, so whilst it is definitely possible that there could be issues, it isn't likely they will be anything more than bug fixes in software, hopefully I'm not mistaken anyway.

Whilst this is ICETVs first effort at a PVR, it certainly isn't the OEMs first...

Mark

IanL-S

I suspect the correct question is when is the purchase completed, rather than the date of the purchase contract. The likely date is the date on which the item is either received by the consumer or the date on which it was sent the the consumer. This when the supplyer first becomes at risk of a claim under the warranty.

This question is not specifically addressed in the Australian Consumer Law. Presumably the normal rules of contract law would apply in determining what is meant by date of purchase in the context of a warranty.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Dave at IceTV

SKIPPA's 12 month manufacturer warranty will start from when the SKIPPA is delivered to the customer.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Naffnick

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on September 10, 2015, 07:59:57 PM
SKIPPA's 12 month manufacturer warranty will start from when the SKIPPA is delivered to the customer.

Thanks Dave. That's the answer I think we were all after :).
Very much looking forward to receiving my Skippa this month. Cant wait to have a play!
Cheers,
Callum