skippa delay

Started by payandwait, July 26, 2015, 11:42:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

payandwait

so after waiting months and months for my order to be despatched supposedly on the 27th of July i get an email yesterday saying shipment is delayed because of bigger demand?????
my question is:
why would a higher demand stop ANY units being shipped.
sounds like a stuff up somewhere.
and this after i contacted their supposed customer service last week who  really gave me no information of when units would actually be shipped.
you would think the company that took my money would be able to provide that info.

so far all that has happened is that i have paid for something they keep advertising but cannot deliver.
do i sound happy?

IanL-S

Quote from: payandwait on July 26, 2015, 11:42:51 AM
my question is:
why would a higher demand stop ANY units being shipped.

That is what I was perplexed by. Early on we were told that the first 1000 units would be shipped in by air. We were also told that the first production run would be the 1000 pre-release orders that were to be shipped by air. It is possible that the delays in starting the initial production run meant they lost the air shipment slot for the first 1000 orders, if so why not be up front about it.

As a matter of logic, the amount of subsequent pre-orders should have no impact on the initial production run or the delivery those units to those who ordered them. Production delays can be caused by lack of components or scheduling issues with the OEM that is putting the units together. Delaying the 'go instruction' for production may mean that previously allocated production slot was lost and a new one was need. If so IceTV would have known about this well before Friday, and they should have shared the information with those who they sold the units to.

As yet I have received not official notification from IceTV that my order will not be shipping in the week commencing 27 July 2015.

While I am not particularly happy about the repeated deferral of delivery date, what really annoys me is the very poor communication by IceTV with those who have ordered the units about the changes in the delivery schedule. It is appalling customer service.

Ian

IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

HORNETSTER

And even though there is so much discussion about it, they certainly aren't in a hurry to comer on here and explain anything.
Very poor I would say!
Also, most well regarded companies that take pre-orders, don't actually take your money until they ship....

nis200sx

Quote from: HORNETSTER on July 26, 2015, 07:34:24 PM
And even though there is so much discussion about it, they certainly aren't in a hurry to comer on here and explain anything.
Very poor I would say!
They really don't need to explain anything other than they're going to be a bit later than expected. Nothing new with pre-orders not arriving at the exact time originally mentioned.

Quote from: HORNETSTER on July 26, 2015, 07:34:24 PM
Also, most well regarded companies that take pre-orders, don't actually take your money until they ship....
I've seen plenty of  pre-orders online and they all wanted full payment up front (like crowd sourcing and group buys). Except all other pre-orders wanted everyone to pay full price. This is the first one I've seen where you could save $200 (33% of the RRP). I've never taken part in any before and always ended up either missing out altogether or waiting many extra months for the second batch to arrive long after those who pre-ordered received theirs.

As for them waiting until Friday to tell us skippa would be delayed, I'd like to think they didn't find out themselves until Thursday or Friday.
Dave

injidup

First World problems.

Paul55

Quote from: injidup on July 28, 2015, 06:55:25 PM
First World problems.

A pitiful and unoriginal response.  We live in the first world and are entitled to demand performance in accordance with first world standards.

bodogbodog

Quote from: Paul55 on July 28, 2015, 09:32:28 PM
A pitiful and unoriginal response.  We live in the first world and are entitled to demand performance in accordance with first world standards.
A world where everything runs smoothly and on time? (that's not the first world - or even the real world....)
Perhaps a more appropriate response in keeping with some of the recent comments by those who feel IceTV has perpetrated crimes against humanity by not delivering on the expected date is - "Sh*t happens"
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

Paul55

Quote from: bodogbodog on July 28, 2015, 09:41:32 PM
Perhaps a more appropriate response ........ is - "Sh*t happens"

That would be fine. The over-used "first world problem" quip was amusing for a little while a long time ago - no longer cool.

FMB

I just received an update from IceTV (as I'm sure most of you have). It begins by saying in big bold letters "MANUFACTURING DELAYS RECTIFIED" and then goes on to say that the first Skippa's will be 'fulfilled' in the last week of August. WTF???

We've gone from July 27 to mid-August to late August. Seriously not good enough.

NOT HAPPY JAN!

warkus

Best be ringing ICETV and asking to cancel your order then I guess if you are that unhappy, surely you are not going to want to wait a few more weeks... .!?!?!?!

Interestingly enough I didn't get that email - yet anyway...

FMB

Quote from: warkus on July 31, 2015, 03:17:44 PM
Best be ringing ICETV and asking to cancel your order then I guess if you are that unhappy, surely you are not going to want to wait a few more weeks... .!?!?!?!

Interestingly enough I didn't get that email - yet anyway...

Believe me, if I had a choice, I would. Somehow I doubt they would let me anyway. I've removed my old PVR and given it away. My TiVo is dying a rapid death and I need a suitable replacement. One could say that they have me by the short and curly's.

Likkie

Quote from: FMB on July 31, 2015, 03:01:56 PM
I just received an update from IceTV (as I'm sure most of you have). It begins by saying in big bold letters "MANUFACTURING DELAYS RECTIFIED" and then goes on to say that the first Skippa's will be 'fulfilled' in the last week of August. WTF???

We've gone from July 27 to mid-August to late August. Seriously not good enough.

NOT HAPPY JAN!

So it turns out that it wasn't greater than anticipated demand but "Manufacturing Delays" that is to blame.  They were telling fibs.

I'm yet to receive an email update either but noticed the new estimated delivery date on the web page today.

Just to be clear, I'm not all that bothered by the actual delay, shit happens.  I just don't like being lied to.

FMB

Here is the contents of the e-mail (minus the dodgy photo):

SKIPPA® Update   

Dear customers and friends of IceTV,
Here is the latest update on what's happening with SKIPPA.
MANUFACTURING DELAYS RECTIFIED
Due to the overwhelming demand generated by our SKIPPA pre-order sale, we increased our initial production order for SKIPPAs. Following a small pre-production run (for testing purposes, see the photo on the right), the factory then pushed our mass manufacturing slot back behind a very large production run for another company.
SKIPPA production will be in full swing by mid-August and we will air-freight your SKIPPAs to avoid any further delay. We are scheduled for first orders to be fulfilled in the last week of August.   

ADVANTAGE OF PRE-ORDERS
Those of you who have taken advantage of the pre-order sale have saved up to $200 off RRP, and will be the first to receive your SKIPPA PVRs.
LIMITED STOCK - ORDER NOW TO AVOID DISAPPOINTMENT
Due to the limited number of units in our first production run, orders will be fulfilled on a
'first-come, first-served' basis. All pre-orders have been allocated, leaving a limited amount
of stock available for purchase. So if you want to secure your SKIPPA, order now while stocks last.

Beyonwiz T4 now shipping with IceTV    

The Beyonwiz T4 is now available through IceTV from $699. This four-tuner model is configurable with HDD capacity up to 6TB. Order now.

IanL-S

Quote from: FMB on July 31, 2015, 03:39:16 PM
SKIPPA production will be in full swing by mid-August and we will air-freight your SKIPPAs to avoid any further delay. We are scheduled for first orders to be fulfilled in the last week of August.

Not clear what date this email was sent. Update: Post before that one says it arrived today. Hope I get one this time ... nothing yet. :-\

So mid-August now becomes end of August. At this rate we will be lucky to get our Skippa before Christmas. :o

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

nis200sx

Quote from: Likkie on July 31, 2015, 03:26:36 PM
So it turns out that it wasn't greater than anticipated demand but "Manufacturing Delays" that is to blame.  They were telling fibs.

I'm yet to receive an email update either but noticed the new estimated delivery date on the web page today.

Just to be clear, I'm not all that bothered by the actual delay, shit happens.  I just don't like being lied to.

I doubt they were telling lies. If you've ever had any experience with mass production you'd understand (though still not be happy). For example, Increasing a production run from 10 days to 12 days could result in losing your spot in line. Days 11 and 12 would have already been booked for another customer's order and if this customer is a regular who places big orders then there's no chance of delaying their production run. So the whole 12 days of skippa production gets shafted until after this other customer's production run has finished. I'm just thankful that this bigger customer's order will only take a few weeks and not a few months.

Note: I'm not suggesting that skippa's production run takes 10 days or 12 days. They were just examples.

If you are wondering why they didn't just stick with the original production run and do the other shorter production run later, I'd assume that the cost of setting up each production run would probably cost a lot more than the value that the small 2nd production run of product would be worth.
Dave