Skippa manual

Started by emmsee, July 21, 2015, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: IanL-S on July 28, 2015, 08:29:46 AM
The one-page place-holder is back. No manual.

Glad I save the 'old' version to HDD and printed it out!

Ian

Hi Ian,

What ISP are you on? and what browser are you using?

The manual is definitely online at http://skippa.tv/manual
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

FMB

There does seem to be a lot of confusion about the manual. The original post from weeks ago, said the manual would be available at skippa.tv/manual then Dave posted a link to the manual at a different URL. Then the manual was moved to the original URL of skippa.tv/manual. That doesn't mean there are two different versions, just a URL correction.

The one at skippa.tv/manual is the same one that was available at the link Dave posted.

IanL-S

Quote from: Daniel Hall at IceTV on July 28, 2015, 08:43:37 AM
Quote from: IanL-S on July 28, 2015, 08:29:46 AM
The one-page place-holder is back. No manual.

Glad I save the 'old' version to HDD and printed it out!

Ian

Hi Ian,

What ISP are you on? and what browser are you using?

The manual is definitely online at http://skippa.tv/manual

ISP: Telstra Bippond Cable
Firefox (latest version)

I tried with Chrome and it worked  - obviously the url had be cached by Firefox.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

csutak40

I have a couple of questions from either those that read the manual or an IceTV staffer.  I read the manual, couldn't find the answer to my question.

Can one edit recorded shows?  I mean, if one doesn't have the autoskip function, can one remove the padding?

Also, can the default padding be changed for individual shows or series?
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

FMB

Quote from: csutak40 on July 28, 2015, 06:07:16 PM
I have a couple of questions from either those that read the manual or an IceTV staffer.  I read the manual, couldn't find the answer to my question.

Can one edit recorded shows?  I mean, if one doesn't have the autoskip function, can one remove the padding?

With regard to the editing, I think that's what the blue skip buttons are for.  I have to admit that I didn't really understand that bit.

There's no mention of changing the padding for individual shows, just the default. I don't know whether the IceTV app allows it.

Hopefully one of the staff will have a better answer.

IanL-S

Quote from: csutak40 on July 28, 2015, 06:07:16 PM

Judy, I was wondering the same thing. You can edit recordings on Topfield PVRs.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

csutak40

Quote from: IanL-S on July 28, 2015, 06:57:03 PM

Ian

LOL, I know that!  ;D  In fact, I spent quite a while with my Nitro PDF reader, highlighting all the bits that the 5K can do (with TAPS) and the Skippa can't (AFAIK) making notes and asking questions.  I saved it...  When I went to re-open it, it informed me that it is corrupted  :'( :( >:(

I remember a few of them though.. (ignoring the autoskip for a minute - which BTW, does not say anywhere in the manual that it is an optional extra) you can set the skip function for one time limit only.  Say, 3 minutes.  If the commercial is longer or shorter than that, too bad.
the "i-Plate" will allow you to have a quick look at what's on the channel you're watching (wouldn't you know that already?) and what's coming on that same channel next, but if you want to know what's on your other favourites... that  requires scrolling
And you are forever being directed to your tablet or iPhone or PC.  I don't own a tablet, my iPhone (even if it was right next to me, which it usually isn't) has too small a screen for comfort, and if I wanted to go to the PC in the middle of watching TV, just to change the setting, then why do I have a TV?
There were more...  Amazing how much my ancient Toppy 5K can do that the Skippa apparently can't  :'(
Cheers,
Judy

IanL-S

Judy

As I said in the PM I just sent to you, it should be possible to add the ability to delete pre and post-padding to the add-skipping function. It presumably is capable of taking you to the beginning and end of the program so you can confirm that the material to be removed is correct. If that could be done it would be a really useful feature.

Edit: Just did some quick calculation of wasted storage if we use 10 minutes pre and 30 minutes post-padding for recordings of the following length:
30 minutes   57.14%
60 minutes   40.00%
90 minutes   30.77%
120minutes   25.00%

Ian
Synology NAS

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: JPP on July 26, 2015, 10:57:23 PM
Just one question after a brief read through. I can't find the 2 small blue left/right arrow keys, which are mentioned on page 32 under Manual Skip, on the Remote itself. I can only see the Autoskip and Unskip buttons.

.....Just after another look at the Remote - would they be the Left/Right arrows around the OK button?

If so, could we have an option somewhere down the track to use the Up/Down buttons for additional Skip functions?

Yes, and yes. The left/right arrow buttons are the configurable manual skip buttons. The up/down buttons will be added in a firmware update.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

JPP

Thanks Daniel, very good news. I do a lot of Chase playing, so extra flexibility in Skipping is most welcome.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

nis200sx

Quote from: IanL-S on July 28, 2015, 06:57:03 PM

Ian

The only PVRs I know of that can truly edit recordings are the antique SD Toppies and the good old DP series Beyonwiz PVRs. The TMS Topfields, T series Beyonwiz and Strong PVRs just pretend to edit the recording (so don't really save any HDD space). It's like a very time consuming Manually setup AutoSkip...

Beyonwiz T series and Humax PVRs cannot edit recordings (pretend or real).

Quote from: csutak40 on July 28, 2015, 08:31:00 PM
(ignoring the autoskip for a minute - which BTW, does not say anywhere in the manual that it is an optional extra) you can set the skip function for one time limit only.  Say, 3 minutes.  If the commercial is longer or shorter than that, too bad.

if the commercial is longer than 3 minutes you would do the same as on your antique toppy or any other PVR. i.e. Skip back 10 or 15 or 20 seconds. With just two manual skip buttons you wouldn't set one of them to 3 minutes. You'd set it to 30 seconds (and press it 5 times or just hold it for a second). If you had 4 manual skip buttons you might set one to 3 minutes and one to 30 seconds. And set the back buttons to 3 minutes and 10 or 15 seconds. This is exactly the same as 99% of the PVRs out there. Having AutoSkip doesn't limit the manual skip in any way.

the "i-Plate" will allow you to have a quick look at what's on the channel you're watching (wouldn't you know that already?)

Not if you are zapping channels looking for something to watch.

And you are forever being directed to your tablet or iPhone or PC.  I don't own a tablet, my iPhone (even if it was right next to me, which it usually isn't) has too small a screen for comfort, and if I wanted to go to the PC in the middle of watching TV, just to change the setting, then why do I have a TV?

Instead lets spend half the night on a computer playing with TEDS software when we should be at the TV - with or without a tablet or phone on the coffee table (it's optional).

There were more...  Amazing how much my ancient Toppy 5K can do that the Skippa apparently can't  :'(

You haven't really listed anything yet.  8)

Without really trying I can list 3 major things the skippa (or almost any HD IceTV compatible PVR) can do that an old SD toppy can't:

1. View and Record the HD channels.
2. Record more than 2 channels at once.
3. Use IceTV smart recording.

I'm sorry Judy but you are just making excuses to make yourself feel better for choosing to battle on with an old SD toppy while the rest of us look forward to using our new Skippa.

Dave

prl

Quote from: nis200sx on July 29, 2015, 08:10:36 PM
... The ... T series Beyonwiz ... just pretend(s) to edit the recording (so don't really save any HDD space). It's like a very time consuming Manually setup AutoSkip...

Beyonwiz T series ... cannot edit recordings (pretend or real).
You're going to need to make up your mind there. ;)

The T series Beyonwiz can indeed "pretend" to edit; it allows you to set cut in/cut out marks that are (optionally) respected on playback, but that doesn't reduce the file size.

And as the HD Topfields had a TAP that could apply the cutlist to a recording to reduce its size, the T series Beyonwizes have a plugin that can do that job. That plugin is now part of the standard firmware distribution.

To do those jobs on the T series, it's MEDIA from live TV then MENU>Cut-list editor... and MENU>Execute cuts...
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

csutak40

The only PVRs I know of that can truly edit recordings are the antique SD Toppies and the good old DP series Beyonwiz PVRs. The TMS Topfields, T series Beyonwiz and Strong PVRs just pretend to edit the recording (so don't really save any HDD space). It's like a very time consuming Manually setup AutoSkip...

Beyonwiz T series and Humax PVRs cannot edit recordings (pretend or real).
Well, if that is true, then the 1TB HDD suddenly became a lot smaller.  I have a 750gig HDD in my Toppy 5K and  turns out, that is bigger than the Skippa's HDD, even though I'd be likely to record less with it, as it only has 2 tuners (and can't record more than 2 shows, even  on the same network)

if the commercial is longer than 3 minutes you would do the same as on your antique toppy or any other PVR. i.e. Skip back 10 or 15 or 20 seconds. With just two manual skip buttons you wouldn't set one of them to 3 minutes. You'd set it to 30 seconds (and press it 5 times or just hold it for a second). If you had 4 manual skip buttons you might set one to 3 minutes and one to 30 seconds. And set the back buttons to 3 minutes and 10 or 15 seconds. This is exactly the same as 99% of the PVRs out there. Having AutoSkip doesn't limit the manual skip in any way.

No, on my antique Toppy, I have two buttons for the purpose (and some more backwards buttons as well) - 1 set at 3 minutes the other at 15 seconds.  The way  I understand the manual (correct me if I'm wrong) the Skippa only has one skip button  (OK, two, forward and backwards) so, there is no easy way to fine-tune it.  If you set it for 30 seconds (as most commercials go on for minutes, not seconds) you'd have to press it so many times, you may as well just use the FF button.
Not if you are zapping channels looking for something to watch.
Which is why I said that instead of just showing the channel you're on, it should show all of your favourites on the one screen.  Then you wouldn't need to "zap".   Again, I can do that on my antique Toppy
Instead lets spend half the night on a computer playing with TEDS software when we should be at the TV - with or without a tablet or phone on the coffee table (it's optional).

When it worked  :'( :'( :'( I never spent "half the night" on the computer playing with TEDS.  I only spent time on it if I wanted to make a change to my favourites.  (add one or delete one - maybe a minute)  I had Windows scheduler set up for TED to run every day at 4pm, at which time it downloaded the EPG from IceTV, and uploaded it to the Toppy.  No hands on intervention required.   It did generate a log, showing me if there were any clashes - I could look at that at my leisure and make the necessary adjustments, or not.  No hurry, as the timers were set for 7 days, so I would have made any adjustments to "today's" schedule earlier 99% of the time.
Now that it has stopped uploading to the Toppy, I do have to spend a lot of time, as I have to set the timers manually, but that's another story.

You haven't really listed anything yet.  8)
OK. Here are some I remember.  Not about to go through the manual again, but there were more

Several skip buttons, not just one
1 page EPG, showing all of your chosen favourite channels - no scrolling required
Can't set individual padding for shows/series - overriding the default.
Same goes for overriding other default settings in some circumstances.  As an example:  I prefer first run shows only.  However, the ABC often repeats the same show several times a week.  The first one often clashes with something else, so I choose to record one of the repeat offerings for the same show.  I can tell the Toppy that for that show only, I want to record repeats, but only on ,say, Thursdays (avoiding recording several repeats)

Without really trying I can list 3 major things the skippa (or almost any HD IceTV compatible PVR) can do that an old SD toppy can't:

1. View and Record the HD channels.
2. Record more than 2 channels at once.
3. Use IceTV smart recording.
I'll pay you those (although I don't really know what IceTV smart recording is ;D)  But I am willing to bet that TEDS was smarter  :D  As for HD (except for some offerings on the HD channels - very few, as it happens-) I am not that bothered.  I record those with Windows MC
I'm sorry Judy but you are just making excuses to make yourself feel better for choosing to battle on with an old SD toppy while the rest of us look forward to using our new Skippa.
No, you are very wrong.  I am not looking for "excuses" I am stating facts.  I am not the only person who has held on to the Toppy 5K all this time, or thinks it was a great machine (made a lot better with the TAPS that were developed by users)  I am certainly aware of the fact that it is time to move on, but that doesn't mean that, having studied the manual, I can't voice my disappointment in some of the things I've noticed.  What makes me even more disappointed is that Heinz asked for input from us years ago, when he first announced the Skippa and then seemingly decided to ignore every single suggestion.
Cheers,
Judy

csutak40

Quote from: IanL-S on July 29, 2015, 08:58:18 AM
Judy

As I said in the PM I just sent to you, it should be possible to add the ability to delete pre and post-padding to the add-skipping function. It presumably is capable of taking you to the beginning and end of the program so you can confirm that the material to be removed is correct. If that could be done it would be a really useful feature.

Edit: Just did some quick calculation of wasted storage if we use 10 minutes pre and 30 minutes post-padding for recordings of the following length:
30 minutes   57.14%
60 minutes   40.00%
90 minutes   30.77%
120minutes   25.00%

Ian

Thank you, Ian.  Yes, that is really disappointing, that reduces the effective size of the HDD by about half
Cheers,
Judy

prl

I've successfully used 5 min pre-padding and 25 min post-padding for some time. So my wasted storage figures are a bit better than IanB's:
30 min: 50%
60 min: 33%
90 min: 25%
120 min: 20%

If I really cared about the waste space, I'd edit it out, but I've never edited to save space, even on our Beyonwiz DPs where editing did save space without any further effort.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing