Skippa/IceTV queries

Started by HORNETSTER, July 14, 2015, 09:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HORNETSTER

New to IceTV, and have pre-ordered the Skippa at the original offer...
Couple of queries:
1/ Can I use the IceTV sub on other devices, with this purchase?
2/ If so, can it be setup on Windows Media Centre?
3/ Also, if so, can I start using it now? (Don't think so?)
I don't understand the stuff on my "My Recorders" page about converting the account (Widget Account Restrictions). Will I break stuff if I convert...? And if I convert, and CAN use on WMC, can I do that (at least to some degree) without a full account?)
So many questions.... :-)

Thanks.

IanL-S

The information provided so far is that the IceTV EPG and the IceTV Skippa subscriptions are tied to particular unit.

The ordinary subscription allows you to have up to 5 devices (recorders) including PC based media centres. As the result of various special offers I have taken advantage of over the years, my subscription does not expire until August 2019.

My brain has stopped working so I cannot (at this stage) make (meaningful) comments on the other matters mentioned in your post.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: HORNETSTER on July 14, 2015, 09:43:02 PM
New to IceTV, and have pre-ordered the Skippa at the original offer...
Couple of queries:
1/ Can I use the IceTV sub on other devices, with this purchase?
2/ If so, can it be setup on Windows Media Centre?
3/ Also, if so, can I start using it now? (Don't think so?)
I don't understand the stuff on my "My Recorders" page about converting the account (Widget Account Restrictions). Will I break stuff if I convert...? And if I convert, and CAN use on WMC, can I do that (at least to some degree) without a full account?)
So many questions.... :-)

Thanks.
The subscriptions included with each SKIPPA™ only work with that 1 SKIPPA™. If you wanted to use IceTV with another device you would need a single-device subscription for that device (if available for that device model) or a regular multi-device subscription that works with all supported devices.

If you have a free phone-app-only account the SKIPPA™ will convert it into a full account when the SKIPPA™ first connects to your account.

You can convert your account from a widget account (free phone app only account) to a 3 month trial account, and start using IceTV with Windows Media Center, assuming your PC has a TV tuner card or USB TV tuner. When you receive your SKIPPA™ and you log it in to your account the SKIPPA™ will add it's own subscription within your account.

cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Vortical

IceTV reps,
I have a query regarding the AutoSkip feature

Do completed recordings automatically get processed for Autoskip in the background

Would be nice to have this explained whether a user has control over the process or if it's done automatically.

Looking forward to the skippa shipping next Monday  8)

prl

Quote from: Vortical on July 23, 2015, 03:06:25 AM
Do completed recordings automatically get processed for Autoskip in the background
My understanding is that processing of Autoskip is all done on the IceTV servers. The Skippa just downloads a skip list: start skip at 00:05:02; end skip 00:07:55; start skip 00:22:31; end skip 00:25:18; ...

It's unlikely to be more than a few hundred bytes, even for a movie.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Vortical

Prl if that's the case then I don't understand this remark in the skippa FAQ.

A. AutoSkip takes about one and a half times the duration of a recording. If you keep recording another program during the processing time, AutoSkip may take a little longer.

Rat

Why is that your understanding?

As the Skippa reps have said that Skippa will check for a license once or twice a day I imagine that indicates that the ad skip processing with be on your local Skippa unit.

Plus if it was as you suggest that would mean they would have to process every show on TV all over OZ all the time, including all the outback and rural stations, which is a big and unnecessary task. Also if they are processing and sending time checks like that I imagine it would make them more vulnerable to legal action.

prl

Quote from: Rat on July 23, 2015, 03:40:12 PM
Why is that your understanding?
It's my memory of what we were told at the show and tell day way back.

Quote from: Rat on July 23, 2015, 03:40:12 PMAs the Skippa reps have said that Skippa will check for a license once or twice a day I imagine that indicates that the ad skip processing with be on your local Skippa unit.
How does that follow?

Quote from: Rat on July 23, 2015, 03:40:12 PM
... Also if they are processing and sending time checks like that I imagine it would make them more vulnerable to legal action.
How would it be less of a legal problem for an individual? The Copyright Act exception for domestic recording is very narrow, and doesn't include the making of derivative works, which is where I'd guess (IANAL) any application of copyright might come into play.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Rat

Because if they were sending you the timers for ad skip for each show that your box records then wouldn't it be easier to just check you have a current sub then rather than sending an extra check each day regardless of if you are actually using the service or not. That is how I would think it would be best configured.

Also you didn't comment regarding the logistics of processing every show on OZ tv all the time every station every state. Will they process my local news show? I could be wrong, but I would be very surprised if they could do that. Certainly can't see how they could do it cost effectively, they would need a server bank in each state, maybe two in some. Unless I'm missing something in my thoughts on the matter?

RONISHOME2

Can Skippa play DVDs or Blue Ray, either the files from an external USB HDD or external USB DVD/Blueray player? (I have a small collection)
I am not sure how Skippa would go with licensed DVD's and BlueRay discs with their protection etc.  or if it would recognise the file format?
I was hoping to keep the TV area device count down.

SkippaLounge

Hi
Wanted to know if you can delete all the shopping/unwanted channels ect , on my current pvr (TiVo) they all come back on the next update its infuriating
Cheers

IanL-S

Quote from: SkippaLounge on July 26, 2015, 07:59:42 AM
Hi
Wanted to know if you can delete all the shopping/unwanted channels ect , on my current pvr (TiVo) they all come back on the next update its infuriating
Cheers

Good question. The existing IceTV EPG does not have EPG data for the shopping channels; it is not clear if SKIPPA will have this added. My limited experience with PVRs and set top boxes is that you can delete unwanted LCNs, so I suspect we will have that ability.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

prl

On many PVRs the cleanest way to "remove" unwanted channels is to set up a Favourites list that excludes them, and use that for channel selection/EPG. Normally the Favourites list allows you to reorder the channels as you want to have them.

Whether Favourites lists stay valid after a rescan is variable (e.g. in early Beyonwiz DP firmware they didn't, in the more recent firmware, they do).
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Dave at IceTV

I have a query regarding the AutoSkip feature

Yes. News recordings get processed first, then live type shows, then other show types.

Would be nice to have this explained whether a user has control over the process or if it's done automatically.
Recorded shows are processed automatically.

You can see in the My Recordings list which recordings have been processed already. You can see in the settings menu which recording is currently being processed.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Vortical

Thanks for the confirmation Dave.