How does Skippa Handle Daylight Savings changover?

Started by JPP, July 06, 2015, 04:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPP

Just curious here to see how Skippa will handle Daylight Savings changeover times. Hopefully completely seamlessly without user intervention? Dave or Leon, care to enlighten us here  ;). 
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

Leon K

Hey JPP,

Yes the SKIPPA handles daylight savings completely seamlessly, you won't notice a thing..

JPP

Phil.

bodogbodog

Yes sure is - the Wiz still confuses me every 6 months when I have to grapple with GMT offsets  >:(
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

DeltaMikeCharlie

Quote from: Leon K on July 06, 2015, 04:47:02 PM
Yes the SKIPPA handles daylight savings completely seamlessly
[PSYCHOTIC RANT]
If implemented correctly, the DVB protocol has the built-in ability to handle DST flawlessly.

The EPG is transmitted in UTC.  There is also a "Time Offset Table" that contains the current UTC offset, the next DST transition time (expressed as UTC) and the next UTC offset.

By looking at the UTC in the EPG and comparing it to the next UTC transition time from the TOT, the PVR can determine the true local time of the EPG event.

All the user needs to provide is the Country and Region (state) and DVB already has it covered.  There is no excuse for any PVR manufacturer not to handle DST correctly.

Having a number of Topfield PVRs, I battle this twice yearly.  Even though the ICETV EPG is based on UTC, the PVRs only have a single, albeit automatic, UTC offset as at 'now'.  It does not look forward so in the week leading up to a DST transition, the start times in the EPG are wrong.

I have also noticed that a number of FTA channels actually transmit the wrong UTC in their EPG in the week leading up to a DST transition.  As a result, their EPG appears correct on non-compliant PVRs and incorrect on compliant PVRs.  One more reason to use ICETV as an EPG source.
[/PSYCHOTIC RANT]

prl

Quote from: DeltaMikeCharlie on July 07, 2015, 09:54:37 AM
Having a number of Topfield PVRs, I battle this twice yearly.  Even though the ICETV EPG is based on UTC, the PVRs only have a single, albeit automatic, UTC offset as at 'now'.  It does not look forward so in the week leading up to a DST transition, the start times in the EPG are wrong.
While that may be true for older, more limited PVRs like the Topfields you have and Beyonwiz DP series, the Beyonwiz T series uses the zoneinfo database for time translation, so UTC times are interpreted for their time offset at the time, not for the current time offset. The T series has the full zoneinfo database, not just Australia.

The problem that that leaves you with is how to deal with 25- and 23-hour days in the EPG display :)
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: DeltaMikeCharlie on July 07, 2015, 09:54:37 AM
I have also noticed that a number of FTA channels actually transmit the wrong UTC in their EPG in the week leading up to a DST transition.  As a result, their EPG appears correct on non-compliant PVRs and incorrect on compliant PVRs.  One more reason to use ICETV as an EPG source.
And there's always one FTA channel somewhere in Oz that continues broadcasting the wrong time for weeks after a daylight saving changeover.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

prl

I can't recall if anyone has asked: Does Skippa have the option of setting its time from NTP rather than from the broadcast time?
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Dave at IceTV

cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Paul55

JPP

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on July 07, 2015, 07:48:45 PM
And there's always one FTA channel somewhere in Oz that continues broadcasting the wrong time for weeks after a daylight saving changeover.
That begs the question then, as Skippa's EPG gets it's time from a TV broadcast channel, how does it make sure that it has not selected the wrong TV channel?
Phil.

IanL-S

Good point Phil. Could it check all networks, and use the most common value?

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

bodogbodog

So how did everyone's Skippas handle the changeover for Daylight Savings time overnight?

Mine is still showing AEST - so at 7am AET it's showing 8am - but the TV Guide seems to be showing the correct programming - just the time is showing incorrectly

Is it just me?

As always I had to manually change my Beyonwiz DP-2 to the correct GMT offset - no surprise there but the Skippa has me confused
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

IanL-S

Had not thought of checking. Same for the T2. They are both supposed to handle it automatically.

Not sure if the SKIPPA automatically adjusted times or not. The time was definitely out by an hour, did a reboot so that issue should be fixed. It was showing last EPG fetch as 8.22 when it was only 7.30. The unit was in standby at the time. The T2 is showing the correct time for timers, not sure if it clock is correct.

Ian

IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

geoffwi40

My Skippa is also still an hour out...doesn't seem to have handled the change automatically as everybody thought. However, as already commented the guide is still aligned at least so shouldn't be disrupting any recordings.