Consistency in Titles

Started by GlenR, October 23, 2006, 06:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlenR

A request to the Guide writers:

Can we please have some consistency in how shows are titled? I set up series recordings so I don't miss shows that I need to record, and they fail when the titles are changed without any apparent reason.

Some examples:

All year the WRC has been titled "MOTORSPORT - World Rally Championship" yet the final round this Sunday is "Telstra Rally Australia", so my series record misses it.

The Formula One this year has been titled "MOTORSPORT: Formula One 2006 Season" which means my series record will not pick up race one next year as the name will change.

"Dancing With The Stars" suddenly became "Dancing With he Stars (New Series)". Again, breaking the series record set-up.

I know it sounds picky, but can titles be consistent and descriptives like "new series" and "2006 season", etc be placed as a sub-title so the series record will work. I rely on my series recordings to find shows I like when they re-appear after an absence. I'm lazy and it saves me scouring the guide.

Thanks guys.

Jason W

Mitch IceGuide

I certainly think there is something we can address with examples like 'Dancing with the Stars' and will think of alternatives. The Rally Australia example was changed before I read this comment from you and I think it was just a misunderstanding that it was actually just another round of the WRC.

The request to have the year of a particular event (or season) removed is a tough one for a multitude of reasons. Most sport and regular annual events are displayed this way for a reason that I won't go into here. However, certainly we'll discuss if anything can be changed. If not, I guess once a year you'll have to go in and re-set for the new series of Grand Prix.

GlenR

Thanks for fixing up the WRC one Mitch.  :)

I still don't understand why the Formula One has a series name (2006 series) when other motorsport doesn't (eg WRC, V8 Supercars, etc). Still, hopefully this can be reviewed along with the likes of Dancing With the Stars.  :)

Mitch IceGuide

Just had a peek into our Motor Sport section of data base and there certainly are inconsistencies with applying the year of competition to main title. Most have the year, but I concede some don't. I won't go changing any currently 'live' but want to 'tidy' this up with 2007 seasons. Keep at me about that if you don't mind. As an example ...... Motor Sport: Formula One Grand Prix  with Episode reading ... 2006 Round 18: Brazil  I have to somewhere indicate what season it is. Is this more user friendly? Cheers.

GlenR

Quote from: Mitch IceGuide on October 28, 2006, 01:17:53 PM
As an example ...... Motor Sport: Formula One Grand Prix  with Episode reading ... 2006 Round 18: Brazil.
That looks great - much better. My series records will work a treat that way.  :)

impact

Yep agree that consistancy is needed....

On the plus side and as a good example - The Apprentice. It was set as a aseries recording on my setup, and a few weeks ago noticed it started recording this show at 11pm on Sundays... I would never had known that a new series had started.... and would probably have missed the first few episodes.

This is whata PVR is all about - finding the shows you want and recording them.... As most systems find things on the name of the show - it is extremely important that consistancy is applied.

There should never be a new series in a title, as I am sure that Dancing With the Stars will be back next year - so will we end up with Dancing With The Stars (newest new series) ???

Surely this is where the subtitle names can be utiilsed better;

Title: Formula 1   Subtitile: Season 2005 Brazil
                        Subtitle: Season 2006 Australia

Title: The Apprentice  Subtitle: Season 5 The Cookie Crumbles

Title: Dancing With The Stars Subtitle: Season 2005-2
                                                     Season 2006-1

etc etc

Now of course, we have a mess currently - making changes to titles currently will probably upset people, as we have all added the strange season pass combinations to overcome the issue... How to communicate changes effectively - maybe it needs to be cleaned up at the end of the each season of these shows - but it probably would be a good idea to send an email to all the subscribers when it does occur for notification - as I am sure not everyone reads these forums each week - and only come here when a problem occurs...