Skippa as a networked media player?

Started by Rat, May 25, 2015, 08:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul55

Quote from: Leon K on July 20, 2015, 09:52:03 PM
Yes to clarify that is any brand of tablet / device that has a DLNA media player on it, not just Apple, should work fine.

Ah!! Referring to tablets/smartphones as iPads/iPhones. Another victim of Apple's marketing. I've even seen this on the ABC!
Perhaps Android users are considered smart enough to interpret the intent.

Leon K

Quote from: Paul55 on July 21, 2015, 07:16:43 AM
Ah!! Referring to tablets/smartphones as iPads/iPhones. Another victim of Apple's marketing. I've even seen this on the ABC!

Paul yes indeed, even the best of us fall victim to the proprietary eponym, I'm sure we've all found ourselves saying white-out, google it, jacuzzi, jet ski.. pass me an Aspirin?

But if we're really splitting hairs, a tablet IS a computer.. and all Android users should know that :)

emmsee

Quote from: Leon K on July 21, 2015, 08:18:37 AM
Quote from: Paul55 on July 21, 2015, 07:16:43 AM

Paul yes indeed, even the best of us fall victim to the proprietary eponym, I'm sure we've all found ourselves saying white-out, google it, jacuzzi, jet ski.. pass me an Aspirin?

But if we're really splitting hairs, a tablet IS a computer.. and all Android users should know that :)
Hey Leon,
Talking about splitting hairs - an IPad is computer as well,  yet you mentioned it as though it were something different.
Be less of an apple fan boy and just call them tablets!

Paul55

Quote from: Leon K on July 21, 2015, 08:18:37 AM
Paul yes indeed, even the best of us fall victim to the proprietary eponym

I was so upset I had to dry my eyes with a Kleenex and wrote a complaint with my Biro.

scottn1

Can any of the  Skippa staff members on here confirm whether the Plex app from the Opera TV store will work on the Skippa ?

FMB

Probably a simple question and please excuse my ignorance. My Skippa will be attached to my TV in my living room. I also have a TV in the bedroom which has nothing connected to it (except an arial). What do I need to buy to be able to watch recorded shows on Skippa on my bedroom TV?

bodogbodog

Quote from: scottn1 on July 21, 2015, 07:05:37 PM
Can any of the  Skippa staff members on here confirm whether the Plex app from the Opera TV store will work on the Skippa ?

Good question - be good to get an answer
Have to say I'm really impressed with PLEX and how it manages and presents my media collection from various sources
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

IanL-S

Quote from: FMB on August 07, 2015, 08:32:08 PM
Probably a simple question and please excuse my ignorance. My Skippa will be attached to my TV in my living room. I also have a TV in the bedroom which has nothing connected to it (except an arial). What do I need to buy to be able to watch recorded shows on Skippa on my bedroom TV?

The Skippa is a DLNA server, so any device that can act as a DLNA player will do. This device will have to be on the same home network as the Skippa. Best results will be if both devices are connected by Ethernet rather than wifi. There will no doubt be other ways of doing this, for example using something like Chromcast and a DLNA enabled Tablet.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: FMB on August 07, 2015, 08:32:08 PM

As Ian said, any device with a DLNA compatible media player or media player app will work. If you don't already have anything suitable something like the WDTV Live Streaming Media Player would do (using it's A/V socket to connect to your TV if the TV does't have HDMI). Or even a cheap 2nd PVR like a 500GB Humax HDR7500T. The Humax solution would not only give you a way to stream Skippa's recordings to your 2nd TV it would also allow you to record extra shows in the 2nd room, and also be able to use Skippa to stream the Humax's recordings to the main TV.

PS if you used a Humax as your 2nd TV's media player and you also wanted to use IceTV to schedule some recordings on the Humax you would need an IceTV subscription that supported the Humax (because the Skippa's included subscription only supports the 1 Skippa).
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: scottn1 on July 21, 2015, 07:05:37 PM

I can't confirm if Plex is even in the Opera TV Store. Some Internet forums have said that Plex is now available but I've not been able to find anything official or any mention of Plex from Opera themselves.

Skippa will initially be delivered with Opera TV Store disabled (to be enabled via a firmware update).

PS The Opera TV Store site says "Plex is available right now for viewing in the Opera TV Store on devices from Sony, Swisscom and many more coming soon." I guess we'll have to wait and see once the Opera TV Store is enabled on Skippa.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

celicasx

Sorry, I've stayed quiet on this, happy to bide my time and wait and not complain, but to now find out that Plex may not be available is extremely frustrating.  Having the availability of Plex was, in my case, one of the tipping points in choosing a Skippa over another product.  >:(

Whilst I can use DLNA to access my media, it's not even in the same ballpark.

Dave, this was your quote from the below link "Opera TV Store - 100s of apps (mostly free) including Plex"
http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/skippa/44/skippa-pre-order/4483/msg21242#msg21242

I ordered mine about a week after that post.

This is starting to remind me of when the DP-S1 was released with the box's packaging noting a whole raft of features, with an asterisk/small print that some features would require a firmware update to implement.

warkus

Plea is most definitely available on OPERA TV.
Netflix is in late beta at present (haven't checked for a few weeks) on OPERA TV.

Whether or not those 2 apps are available or presented in the OPERA TV store on the Skippa (when it finally gets the OPERA TV store on a future firmware update apparently) remains to be seen as different apps are controlled and available to different devices and regions, so there is no guarantee that these 2 apps will be offered in the OPERA TV store when the Skippa finally gets access to it, it remains to be seen.

But rest assured PLEX is definitely on OPERA TV, and Netflix is definitely coming soon. I just hope they are available to the Skippa that's all. Time will tell.

Mark

IanL-S

Quote from: ColdasIce on August 14, 2015, 04:25:02 PMWill my lifetime Skippa account and AD skip be transferable to the new owner?

My understanding is that it is not transferable.

If your PC is set up as a DLNA server, then you will be able to play content on it on the Skippa. That said, if you have a lot of content, the need to build an index each time you want to play a video may make it a BIG pain.

I too am peeved that Plex will not be supported (indeed any Opera TV) in the release firmware. Hopefully there will be a firmware update in short order.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

warkus

http://www.operasoftware.com/press/releases/devices/2014-12-10

It is definitely available by the OPERA TV store, most definitely it's there, as to whether or not it's available to install on the SKIPPA I cannot tell you. We shall see in the future.

warkus

Ian, if in fact the skippas ICETV subscription is NOT transferable, then I would think that ICETV has in fact made a VERY BIG MISTAKE.

That would be a huge backwards step and a dumb one at that. I have no idea if it is transferable or not but I think that this one point more than any other needs clarification by ICETV.

Reasons...

The subscription that comes with your SKIPPA is for the LIFE of the device, and is linked to the DEVICE ITSELF, not to you apparently. If your Skippa lasts for 8 years before failing, then it will still have ICETV for the entire time it's alive. This is why it doesn't use one of your existing ICETV subscription 5 devices.

It currently DOESNT WORK without ICETV, currently not utilising FTA EPG.

If you wanted to SELL the unit on Guntree for example, the unit will no longer have an active ICETV subscription when the new owner kicks it off in their entertainment setup if in fact it is not transferable making the sale worthless and devaluing the product.

I honestly cannot see how they can deny someone transfer on the ICETV subscription that is LINKED TO THE DEVICE, and not the the person as has been stated by ICE themselves.

This needs clarification for sure.

Mark