Skippa EPG Screenshot

Started by Leon K, May 25, 2015, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanL-S

The ability to use Android/ iOS phone or tablet is, in my view irrelevant. The on-screen EPG has to be functional. Some of us have arthritis or sight impairment which makes using these devices a poor second to a good on-screen EPG.

We should be able to choose an EPG without the stuff that takes up the top of the screen in the screen-shot.

Not at all impressed. Will need to be addressed in future firmware.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

csutak40

I don't think is is up to the PVR vendor to tell owners how they should use their devices - hints and suggestions are OK though.
[/quote]
+100 
I don't own a tablet, only an iPhone.  It  would never even enter my head to look at the app while at home. The screen is too small. Besides, I don't have it in  the "palm my hand" while at home either.  ::)   Incidentally, why does it have to be a "clunky PVR EPG"?  Isn't that up to IceTV to make sure it isn't "clunky"?
Being a Toppy owner, I, too, love JustEPG (although as I said, it is now dead and I miss it greatly)  Seems to me, while our opinion was sought early on, we certainly weren't listened to.  I suppose, it was so long ago, it was long forgotten.
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

prl

As a point of comparison, the Beyonwiz T series has a quite similar default EPG layout to the SKIPPA, but it defaults to 8 rows of EPG data.

However, there's a single configuration switch that gets rid of the "banner" stuff at the top (PiG, show synopsis, etc). That still has only defaults to 8 (rather roomy) rows.

But the number of rows is configurable, and you can tweak the font size. With the banner off in the T series, 12 rows fit comfortably on the screen. To get 15, you's need to tweak the font size down a little bit so that descenders on the second line of text weren't cut off by the bottom edge of the EPG cell.

But it's not JustEPG; it's a conventional grid layout like the older Beyonwizes. However, if someone wanted to port JustEPG as a T series plugin, I'm sure there are a number of users who'd be very happy :)
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

JPP

Yes, you can count me as one of them  :). This highlights the difference between Skippa, which as far as we know does NOT allow TAPs, APPS or plug-ins, and the new T series of BW. (The previous DP series also do not allow plug-ins either btw).

If JustEPG is ported to the Wiz, the only functionality that the Skippa would then have over the Wiz, would be the ability to set ICETV timers directly from/on the PVR's EPG. I believe that the ICETV's Humax PVR can do this however, so it's been done before on another third party PVR, and it would be great if they were to add this ability to the Wiz. Probably very unlikely now that they have developed Skippa.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

JPP

Quote from: IanL-S on June 26, 2015, 03:17:07 PM
The ability to use Android/ iOS phone or tablet is, in my view irrelevant. The on-screen EPG has to be functional. Some of us have arthritis or sight impairment which makes using these devices a poor second to a good on-screen EPG.

We should be able to choose an EPG without the stuff that takes up the top of the screen in the screen-shot.

Not at all impressed. Will need to be addressed in future firmware.

Ian
Couldn't agree more.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

Vortical

Quote from: Leon K on June 26, 2015, 01:44:13 PM
Hey Everyone,

IceTV is so simple and easy to use from the Phone App - the whole power of IceTV centers around setting recordings directly from the App EPG, or even better - building up your Series' under Manage Shows so that these shows are automatically discovered for you - and sent directly to the PVR, so that you don't ever have to use the EPG.

Relaxing on your couch, watching a show and having your IceTV App open in the palm of your hand you can easily see what's next / later on tonight. Why bother using the clunky PVR EPG? Surely the whole reason for using a PVR is for the recording functionality, meaning that most of the shows you will be watching will have been recorded (even if they only started 10 mins ago or you are time-shifting), you can then use the streamlined App to browse the EPG.. not having to pull up and disrupt the show you are presently watching with the on-screen EPG.

The phone app also gives you access to fast Searching, Recommendations, Most Popular etc.. and you can add Series / Keywords directly from it to continue to build up your List of Series, and Shows.

Leon,

I agree with you the EPG in the screenshot is fine with me, I don't sit there messing around with the epg and the only time I ever use it is to do a one off recording for a movie or something else that's a once off. The help section near the bottom of the screen is useful but I certainly don't want to see a screen full of text.  I like the size of the picture and the large show description area.

Personally I couldn't think of anything worse than scanning a screen full of text on the TV.

I just want to watch my recordings and for the pvr to work perfectly in that respect with IceTV.

But that being said it would good to give these guys an option to swap it to a full screen epg mode by pressing a button.

DaveD

Hey Everyone,

IceTV is so simple and easy to use from the Phone App ...

To extend your logic, does this imply Skippa 2.0 will not have an EPG at all?

I tend to scan the JustEPG guide a few days ahead and, if I see something I like, I will get on my laptop (not phone) and set it to record via IceTV.
Now you want me to go to IceTV first rather that use the convenience of JustEPG. 

Sometimes while something is recording (e.g. I like to give an AFL match about an hour of recording before I begin to chase-play/watch it) I will scan the guide to watch something else of interest that I don't necessarily want to record.

How hard is it to create a JustEPG-like guide anyway?

csutak40

Quote from: DaveD on June 27, 2015, 11:39:44 AM

I tend to scan the JustEPG guide a few days ahead and, if I see something I like, I will get on my laptop (not phone) and set it to record via IceTV.
Now you want me to go to IceTV first rather that use the convenience of JustEPG. 

+100
Cheers,
Judy

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: JPP on June 26, 2015, 06:30:55 PM
If JustEPG is ported to the Wiz, the only functionality that the Skippa would then have over the Wiz, would be the ability to set ICETV timers directly from/on the PVR's EPG. I believe that the ICETV's Humax PVR can do this however, so it's been done before on another third party PVR, and it would be great if they were to add this ability to the Wiz. Probably very unlikely now that they have developed Skippa.

The Humax sets all IceTV series recordings as "All episodes". On the SKIPPA you can tell it set your series recordings as "First runs only" or "All episodes".

Any PVR that uses IceTV could do the same if the manufacturer updated their PVR's firmware to make full use of IceTV's features.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Stalky

Hey Everyone,

IceTV is so simple and easy to use from the Phone App ...

To extend your logic, does this imply Skippa 2.0 will not have an EPG at all?

Sometimes while something is recording (e.g. I like to give an AFL match about an hour of recording before I begin to chase-play/watch it) I will scan the guide to watch something else of interest that I don't necessarily want to record.

+200

My current setup allows me to see 12 channels on the one screen (and it's user configurable). Being able to see just 4 would be a pain in the neck. I don't want to see all the crap shown up the top when scanning the EPG. If I want more info, I'll click on the show to display it.

Of course I've pre-ordered a Skippa so I guess I'll have neck pain for quite some time!

SkippaLounge

I'm retiring my TiVo and look forward to opening my new skippa box soon.. I like the look of the skippa epg its nice
But the hardest change will be going back to a grid style epg (usually found on the cheapest media/set top/TVs ect)
The TiVo has 2 options for epg a grid view and a live/list view (pictured), an option like this would be awsome.
I've seen a few people mention justepg and I'd give that a go if it were an option.
I guess the grid view is ok if you rarely use the epg but I surf the guide ,every time I change channels it's through the epg
Anyway I can't wait to try it out cheers

RONISHOME2

I use the EPG similarly, however with MCE which is quite easy to set and record as I can just use my Harmony remote.

I thought that dropping back from 12 rows to 8 rows in the EPG was less that ideal when I went from Win 7 MCE to Win 8 MCE, but down to 4 is very disappointing.  Surely the rows could easily be doubled if the channel logo is made smaller and the apparent redundant  time info was omitted as this is visible in the header and the info panel, but it does look nice.

Relaxing on your couch, watching a show and having your IceTV App open in the palm of your hand
The idea that we always use our phone etc. is ridiculous, especially as many people still have trouble with technology or want to get away from phones, my wife for one  ;) 

We also watch Live TV sometimes for news etc. and the EPG is an essential part of this, so having it easily show what is on now or soon is important, especially with so many channels now.  Anyway,  I don't particularly like the TV Guide view on IceTV.

For me, the idea is to simplify TV watching/recording not to add another layer or device, which is why I have been looking at the Skippa, but the EPG issue is a big one for me so I need to balance this as everything else looks great.

warkus

To everyone that is not too sure about this app thingy, all I can say is don't knock it till you try it...

I agree there does need to be an on screen EPG on the unit that is highly functional and meets the needs of the people using it - I'm definitely NOT saying otherwise.

BUT..

I must admit, using the app, it's pretty bloody awesome. Just give it a go before you dismiss the idea altogether, I promise it doesn't add complexity or layers to the equation and it doesn't distract from the unit. It's independent.

It provides recommendations to you based on your areas screenings and your viewing /recording habits, it highlights all of your up and coming shows that are scheduled or that you have previously watched, it allows you to set recordings from the app with a few quick clicks, schedule series recording options like only new or repeats as well, only HD, only SD, networks etc. You can also check TV guides for your area and up and coming shows, and more importantly search for shows by name that are coming up in the next 7 days. Honestly it's worth a look, and at worst it will be a pretty good companion to your on screen EPG, but try it first before thinking it's not going to help you or complicate things, as it is worth it in my opinion.

I actually love it. Watch TV, flick over to the app on the iPad, search for a show I just saw the ad for, select it and set for series recording all within seconds, and all without leaving the current viewing screen on the TV.

Definitely worth your time to check it out and familiarise yourself with it.

Mark

grahford

Quote from: warkus on July 21, 2015, 12:08:28 AM
To everyone that is not too sure about this app thingy, all I can say is don't knock it till you try it...

When I'm at home my phone lives on my desk in another room away from the 4 year old. My wife's phone lives in the bottom of her bag and is normally dead.  I'm not even sure the app is available for her phone.  And I'm not about to set my account up on the grandparents phone for when they visit.  Those guys love their EPGs. 

Maybe it's because boxer shorts don't have pockets, but I just don't tend to have my phone on me when I'm laying on the couch :). Or it could be I'm just getting old and grumpy.

csutak40

Quote from: warkus on July 21, 2015, 12:08:28 AM

I actually love it. Watch TV, flick over to the app on the iPad, search for a show I just saw the ad for, select it and set for series recording all within seconds, and all without leaving the current viewing screen on the TV.

Definitely worth your time to check it out and familiarise yourself with it.

Mark

Possibly because I don't have an iPad, only an iPhone and my eyes aren't what they used to be  :-\ the only time I look at the phone app is if I want to check something while I am out.  While there is nothing wrong with the app, I just don't play with my phone when I'm at home, while I used to flick over to JustEPG several times a day

Not so much to set recordings,etc. but to simply have a quick look what's on now, or what's on later this evening.  I also use to to set recordings on the fly.  JustEPG happens to have broken ATM and I miss it greatly.  I would certainly miss something similar on what ever PVR I got.
Cheers,
Judy