Specification Documents for reference by Ice TV staff?

Started by kavey8, July 30, 2015, 03:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kavey8

It seems like we're all learning more and more abut how Skippa operates (e.g. how it supports external storage, what functionality is retained..and many other aspects).

Something I don't understand in all this... 

IceTV has exclusivity on the Skippa. It's 'your' product, right?  (even if it's based on an existing product from another manufacturer).

While the technical development and manufacturing was outsourced, there must surely have been some sort of detailed technical spec documents (functional / software specs) which passed between Ice TV and the actual designers.  Do these not lay down exactly how the box is supposed to work in just about every respect - rather than the operation of Skippa being (it seems) a bit of an unknown quantity, with 'discovery' testing being required at Ice TV HQ to find out what it does?

Just curious...

Thanks.

IanL-S

:oUNFOUNDED SPECULATION WARNING :o

I suspect that the normal PVR functions were left to the OEM to sort out - the sort of thing they usually have (hence similarity with Altech 9600).

My impression is that the IceTV Specific part of the firmware is being coded by IceTV engineers - the IceTV Interactive module and the skipping module.

Dave and Leon, the main IceTV contributors to the Forum are in technical support, they are not involved in firmware development. Like us, for the non-IceTV specific aspects they rely on the manual and what they have learned in their use of the Skippa in recent weeks. They are kindly sharing what they have learnt.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

kavey8

I agree, Dave and Leon are giving excellent customer service, especially in terms of responsiveness and willingness to 'go the extra mile' to try things out in the search for information.

Was just a bit surprised that they haven't been given more access to detailed specs - but, as you say, maybe Ice TV was not involved in the detailed specs.