Skippa Pre-Order

Started by Leon K, May 25, 2015, 12:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qf8

Hi Dave

This week my TIVO has died. Its stuck in bootup. Id say the harddrive is gone...
I now have no TV. Im might have to buy a tuner while i wait for the Skippa to arrive.
Can i get on the freinds and family list and do some beta testing for you.
Im in the preorder group.

Brett

Rat

My PVR has been on it's last legs and giving us the craps for about a year now, but seeing as Skippa was FINALLY going to available BEFORE Xmas last year we held off buying a different PVR.

Now here we are...........but I doubt I'm on the friends and family list :)

Good luck Brett.. nice try LOL

nis200sx

Quote from: qf8 on June 28, 2015, 10:16:25 PM
This week my TIVO has died. Its stuck in bootup. Id say the harddrive is gone...
I now have no TV. Im might have to buy a tuner while i wait for the Skippa to arrive.

You could try running the TiVO without a hard drive, as a set top box, to give you a digital tuner until your skippa arrives. Unplug the TiVO from the power point, let it sit a while to drain off any residual power, then remove the cover and unplug the cable(s) from the HDD. The tivo may still not boot up, but it's worth a try.
Dave

snuke

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on June 28, 2015, 07:01:35 PM
Quote from: EdQld on June 27, 2015, 07:41:18 PM

"Not sure why you would think IceTV has not manufactured and extensively tested pre-production units yet."

From IceTV email of the 19/06/15:
   "Next week, we'll manufacture our first batch of SKIPPAs in a pre-production run."

That was a poor choice of words from us, that some of you are misinterpreting.

No, that is a poor choice of words that we are interpreting as written.

csutak40

I hate harping on it, but...  I just came across this article.  Written in May, but without a doubt, with IceTVs full approval. http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/computers/gadgets-on-the-go/icetv-and-freeview-go-headtohead-over-adskipping-20150526-ghac9e.html  Please note, no mention of subscription for ad-skipping
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

injidup

Quote from: csutak40 on July 02, 2015, 01:20:35 PM
I hate harping on it, but... 

Then don't!

This thread does seem to have turned into a whinge fest.

csutak40

Quote from: injidup on July 02, 2015, 02:50:34 PM

Is anyone forcing you to read it?
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

snuke

Quote from: csutak40 on July 02, 2015, 01:20:35 PM
I hate harping on it, but... 

Then don't!

If they didn't keep changing the story, or more to the point provide either misleading or just a complete lack of info, then they wouldn't have upset so many of us.

Now they have this just make it all clear as mud. I am disgusted with the way ICE has handled this. It has been so misleading with what the real deal is. I know it is their product and service, but they have flat out falsely advertised the options in pre-order program.

bodogbodog

Quote from: snuke on July 02, 2015, 06:25:30 PMIf they didn't keep changing the story

They're changing the offer as previous offers expire to encourage people to act by ordering the unit, which happens in many instances to encourage consumers to act by placing an order - what's confusing about that?
Those who committed the earliest get the most benefit
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

injidup

Quote from: csutak40 on July 02, 2015, 03:11:43 PM

Is anyone forcing you to read it?

No but I live in hope of something useful being written.

injidup

Quote from: bodogbodog on July 02, 2015, 06:34:24 PM
Quote from: snuke on July 02, 2015, 06:25:30 PMIf they didn't keep changing the story

They're changing the offer as previous offers expire to encourage people to act by ordering the unit, which happens in many instances to encourage consumers to act by placing an order - what's confusing about that?

We don't need that sort of rational thinking around here, thank you very much!

Paul55

Quote from: bodogbodog on July 02, 2015, 06:34:24 PM

I don't think anybody is complaining about that - it's quite appropriate. However, the information about the subscription that makes the Skippa a 'Skippa' was well concealed - if it was disclosed at all.
It is entirely reasonable to ask why and question the motivation behind it.

JPP

Finally decided to give it a go. Ordered the $399 Skippa (that's Skippa with just the one year Ad skipping). I will rarely use the ad skipping most of the time as I record everything we intend watch for that evening (just as an insurance if we for some reason can't watch the telly), and wind up Chase playing most of what we watch anyway. But, the one year subscription gives me a chance to test the ad skipping out.

I wonder here, just how long ICETV will keep the ad-skipping profile for past recordings? Three months, one year of for the lifetime of my Skippa?
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: JPP on July 06, 2015, 03:28:48 PM
I wonder here, just how long ICETV will keep the ad-skipping profile for past recordings? Three months, one year of for the lifetime of my Skippa?
Skippa won't automatically skip the ads without an active subscription. Even with previously processed recordings you would need to press a manual skip button to skip 30sec or 60sec etc.

But AutoSkip continues to process all recordings with or without an active subscription. This means that once a subscription has been renewed, all processed recordings can immediately be played back without ads.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

FMB

So what you're saying is that every time I go to watch a show I've previously recorded, it has to connect over the internet to IceTV's servers and confirm that my subscription is paid up. It then sends the result back to my Skippa to confirm that I can watch the show ad free?

What sort of lag time is that going to cause?

I can see the on screen message now: Please wait while we check if you owe us money.