Skippa Pre-Order

Started by Leon K, May 25, 2015, 12:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfk

Hi
New member here. I've been looking for a replacement for my Tivo and Skippa is among the candidates. I have some questions which I hope someone might be able to answer for me.
1. Will the Skippa be able to use the FTA EPG? (Just in the unlikely event that IceTV goes bung/broke.)
2. Are there only 4 channels visible at once on the EPG "to record" screen?
3.Is there only 1 option for manual ad-skip? i.e. 30sec forward, 15 back, etc.
4. Can you only program recordings on an app, not on the machine itself? (maybe another tv recorder I'm thinking of.)
5. Can you only archive to a USB stick or USB HDD.?
Many thanks

JPP

Quote from: rfk on June 18, 2015, 04:10:46 PM
Hi
New member here. I've been looking for a replacement for my Tivo and Skippa is among the candidates. I have some questions which I hope someone might be able to answer for me.
1. Will the Skippa be able to use the FTA EPG? (Just in the unlikely event that IceTV goes bung/broke.)
4. Can you only program recordings on an app, not on the machine itself? (maybe another tv recorder I'm thinking of.)
Many thanks
Yes, these are good questions. I'm about to hit the Buy button, but one of the features I would dearly love to have is the ability to set ICETV recordings on the machine UI itself. I believe the ICETV supported Humax already does this.

And yes, being able to use FTA EPG as well should be a must. Still sighing about just 3 tuners..... it's about the only thing that matters to me greatly wrt to missing functions (at least atm, and yes, it's definitely a step in the unknown...). Still vacillating a bit between Skippa and the BeyonWiz T4. Answers (in the positive :))  to all the question you've raised would certainly have a great influence in swaying me towards the Skippa.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

IanL-S

I would think that you would be able to set timers on the PVR. At the minimum this would be for one off recordings (it works this way with Topfield TRF2400 and TF7100HDPVRt Plus). With RCU it may be challenging to do some more advanced scheduling but my expectation is that it will be an option.

I suspect that the Skippa will be able to scan free-to-air program information otherwise the number of channels for which data is required will increase significantly because the Infotainment channels are not currently included (another 5 channels). At one stage this possibility was canvassed on the forum.

Phil, I am also disappointed about there only being 3 tuners.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

FMB

I would also like to know about the FTA EPG recording. We regularly lose our internet connection, sometimes for several days at a time. The TiVo stores 14 days of programs in the device, so it will still work without internet. I'm hoping the Skippa will have a similar option or some alternative.

Dave at IceTV

You cannot turn off IceTV, so using the FTA EPG is not an option. If IceTV ever became unable to continue providing an ongoing service we would ensure that customer's SKIPPAs would be able to access the FTA EPG.

Correct. What you see in the screenshot is how the EPG looks.

You can set the manual skip buttons to jump from 5 seconds up to 10 or 15 minutes.

You can set single and series recordings from the EPG using the remote control, or from the phone app and website.

Correct. Though you could copy the recording's URL from a DLNA media player and paste it into a web browser's address bar.

Quote from: FMB on June 18, 2015, 04:59:11 PM
I would also like to know about the FTA EPG recording. We regularly lose our internet connection, sometimes for several days at a time. The TiVo stores 14 days of programs in the device, so it will still work without internet. I'm hoping the Skippa will have a similar option or some alternative.
If you lose your Internet connection SKIPPA will operate in offline mode until your Internet comes back online. SKIPPA would still have 7 days of EPG data and existing recording schedules. While the SKIPPA is in offline mode you can still set new single and series recordings from the EPG, but the series recordings won't be uploaded to your account until your Internet connection comes back online.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

rfk

Thanks for those prompt answers Dave. It gives me some confidence having an "official" answer. :)

csutak40

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on June 18, 2015, 05:44:50 PM

You can set single and series recordings from the EPG using the remote control, or from the phone app and website.

Can you set a recording "on the fly"?  I mean to start recording a program instantly that you weren't planning to record earlier.  (say, I am watching a show live and a visitor arrives)
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: csutak40 on June 19, 2015, 04:06:20 PM
Quote from: Dave at IceTV on June 18, 2015, 05:44:50 PM

Can you set a recording "on the fly"?  I mean to start recording a program instantly that you weren't planning to record earlier.  (say, I am watching a show live and a visitor arrives)

Yes. You can just press record to start recording the channel you are viewing.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

FMB

So apparently they haven't even started manufacturing these things yet. Then they have to be tested? By family members? I'm thinking more like September shipping. And what's the deal with AutoSkip being on a subscription basis? I thought this was built-in functionality.

grahford

Here are the wife's questions based on how she uses our existing PVR, (topfied 2400 with TMSArchive TAP).

Are there two separate buttons for skip forward/backward?  Can they be set to independent values?  Eg, 30 forward, 10 back?

Can you create folders and move recordings into them post recording?  eg, one for her, one for the kids, one for the series you want to wait to fully complete before binge watching? 

Can you switch the list of recorded shows between date & name sorting with a button press.

Can you select multiple recordings and move them to folders or delete them in batches.

Can the Skippa be put to sleep, but still wake at least once a day to receive icetv updates.  Useful for when you go away.  If not, can a timer be set to wake for 5 minutes and then return to sleep, like the topfield.

Will you get an in-your-face notification if a recording is due to fail due to conflicts or if the Skippa has failed to connect to the internet for a period of time.  At the moment we get an email if the Topfield has not connected to icetv for 7 days.  Which is frustrating because you only send the last next 5 days of recordings, by the time you tell us there is an issue we've already lost two days of recordings.  You might want to fix that.

Does the remote have a 'universal' function for volume that tries to adjust the TVs volume instead of the Skippas volume.  Kind of like our 360 remote, you enter in codes till you find the one that works with your TV.  Our topfield remote was supposed to have something like that but it never worked properly.

Can the Skippa push out 5V for the rooftop aerial booster like the Topfield or will I need to dig out the wall wart again?

Ta.

edit: Duh

injidup

Quote from: FMB on June 19, 2015, 04:59:11 PM
So apparently they haven't even started manufacturing these things yet. Then they have to be tested? By family members? I'm thinking more like September shipping.

Really? Do you have proof or are you just speculating? Have you ordered one? I'm sure there are beta testers on here.

I'm sure those who have pre-ordered are quite aware of the risks of buying a new product from a new manufacturer. I've had a Beyonwiz for about 5 years and it still feels like it's not fully tested.

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: grahford on June 19, 2015, 05:04:34 PM
Are there two separate buttons for skip forward/backward?  Can they be set to independent values?  Eg, 30 forward, 10 back?
There are independently configurable skip buttons buttons. Can't remember if it's 2 or 4 configurable buttons (I think it's 4, but there are at least 2).

Can you create folders and move recordings into them post recording?  eg, one for her, one for the kids, one for the series you want to wait to fully complete before binge watching? 
SKIPPA will list your recordings in virtual folders that it creates itself. You can sort the recordings so they appear as one flat list with no folders. Or search the file list.

Can you switch the list of recorded shows between date & name sorting with a button press.
Yes.

Can you select multiple recordings and move them to folders or delete them in batches.
Honestly, I don't know and I'm not at the office right now. I think no.

Can the Skippa be put to sleep, but still wake at least once a day to receive icetv updates.  Useful for when you go away.  If not, can a timer be set to wake for 5 minutes and then return to sleep, like the topfield.
SKIPPA can record and update from IceTV without needing to wake up. So you can put it to sleep and go away knowing that it will record any new shows you schedule while you are away, without using as much power as it would if it was fully on. Sleep mode uses less power than fully awake but not as little as if it was fully off.

Will you get an in-your-face notification if a recording is due to fail due to conflicts or if the Skippa has failed to connect to the internet for a period of time.  At the moment we get an email if the Topfield has not connected to icetv for 7 days.  Which is frustrating because you only send the last next 5 days of recordings, by the time you tell us there is an issue we've already lost two days of recordings.  You might want to fix that.
For all recorders, IceTV sends scheduling failure emails as soon as the recorder reports them - which for ongoing series would normally be 5 days ahead. If a recorder has not connected for 5 days we send an email alert - so I'm not sure why you are only getting emails after 7 days of not contacting the IceTV server.

As for SKIPPA, it will alert you onscreen if it is unable to contact the IceTV server. Failed schedules should appear onscreen with an error icon in SKIPPA's My Week schedule list.

Does the remote have a 'universal' function for volume that tries to adjust the TVs volume instead of the Skippas volume.  Kind of like our 360 remote, you enter in codes till you find the one that works with your TV.  Our topfield remote was supposed to have something like that but it never worked properly.
No. The SKIPPA's remote can only operate the SKIPPA.

Can the Skippa push out 5V for the rooftop aerial booster like the Topfield or will I need to dig out the wall wart again?
No 5v antenna power option.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

qf8

FMB is correct they have just sent out an email to all those who preordered giving the current status.
Please see below.
I am also confussed about the "substription to Autoskip" comment.
Does that mean if you bought the pre release Skippa with life time free EPG you also get life time free Autoskip subscription or is that something else???
I agree if they havent started producing or beta testing the Skipa units then there is no way we will see them in July.
This is starting to feel more like a crowd funding or kickstarter project than reality.
Im also starting to think that the Autoskip technology is not as advance as we have been led to believe and it is just simply someone watching the program in realtime at Ice HQ who tags the start and finish of the adverts on each TV channel and that data is then streamed to the home Skippa box which deleats the time slot in the recorded program. That would explain why you cant watch a recorded program until 10 minutes after it has been recorded.

I would like to hear from Skippas forum guru on these comments..

----------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a brief update on what's happening with SKIPPA:

SKIPPA HAS BEEN EXTENSIVELY TESTED
User requirements, software programming and testing were conducted concurrently in an agile approach. This enabled us to work with well-tested software at every stage, with just a short pre-manufacturing test at the end.

MANUFACTURING IS STARTING
Next week, we'll manufacture our first batch of SKIPPAs in a pre-production run. This gives our employees' families a month to experience SKIPPA and suggest any changes. When customers set up their SKIPPA for the first time, it will automatically check for software upgrades via the internet.

SHIP DATE IS JULY
Mass manufacturing takes place in early July. We will dispatch your SKIPPA from our Sydney warehouse in the last week of July.

PRE-ORDER EXTENSION
About 1,000 of you have taken advantage of our special pre-order price of $399. For the next 500 units, pricing is now $449 and includes a 1-year subscription to AutoSkip™. You will still save big if you secure one of our early SKIPPA units.

---------------------------------------------------------------

snuke

There is a thread about this BS news on AutoSkip sub fee - http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/skippa/44/autoskip-pricing/4509/
They haven't bothered to update the site to actually explain this.

rfk

Dave said "No. The SKIPPA's remote can only operate the SKIPPA.".
This is a deal-breaker for me, silly as it sounds, as I don't want to have to use 2 remotes, one for the Skippa and one for the TV. I'd like to keep it simple. Nor do I want to have another remote such as the Harmony to combine the functions. The Tivo remote does both, and I assume, most other modern PVR remotes (open to comment on that).