Skippa Pre-Order

Started by Leon K, May 25, 2015, 12:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bodogbodog

Quote from: warkus on June 09, 2015, 01:00:48 PM
Your info on returns from other companies isn't correct

Mark
I'm just taking the info from the link that the IceTV guys have posted ie http://support.icetv.com.au/entries/20293087-If-I-need-to-return-my-item-for-repair-or-replacement-who-pays-for-the-postage-costs-
ie:
Beyonwiz:
If your unit is dead on arrival (DOA) or faulty within 1 month of purchase, it will be replaced and shipping costs will be covered by Beyonwiz.
If your unit is faulty after 1 month of purchase, you will be required to pay the shipping cost to send the unit back to them and for the unit to be returned to you after repair.

Topfield:
If the unit has to be replaced or repaired, Topfield will organise for a courier to pick/deliver the unit from/to you.

If it's not correct then they should correct their www site information and not quote the link

Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

Rat

Bogdogbogdog......why is it that my questions about who manufactures the box aggrieve you and yet after that you have unleashed a tirade of less relevant questions?

bodogbodog

Quote from: Rat on June 09, 2015, 11:34:19 PM
Bogdogbogdog......why is it that my questions about who manufactures the box aggrieve you and yet after that you have unleashed a tirade of less relevant questions?
Warranty is relevant - it will inevitably be an issue and it's reasonable to ask how it will be handled
I'm not aggrieved by your questions - but your inference that IceTV MUST answer them is interesting
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)

Rat

They could answer my question with "IceTV choose to withhold the information regarding the manufacturer of Skippa due to commercial confidentiality reasons" then I would have to accept that.

I can't really understand why they would say that, but I'm sure there is much about their business I don't understand, I am no expert. I guess that as soon as Skippa is released that someone with a great deal of knowledge about the hardware will open the box up and have a look and will probably know from that who makes it. That is why I don't understand the thoughts behind trying to keep it a secret.

I assume that IceTV have chosen a well known and trusted manufacturer that has a history of producing quality PVR hardware, so why would they not want to promote that?

My question about the bug fixes did not get an official response from staff either but was answered thanks, I assume this is from info gained from ringing them up? or have you been asked as a beta tester to report back on the software?

I have already purchased, so the questions are just a matter of interest, I doubt I'm the only one interested in the answers, it would take very little time and effort to answer. At first I thought maybe the question had not been noticed, that is why I posted it again, but it is now apparent that IceTV chose to ignore it instead of addressing. That is why my tone changed and yes I accept that I did sound demanding and in hindsight I would have been better off just letting it go rather than letting being ignored annoy me.  Yes each to their own, and they don't have to do anything and we can take it or leave it. I do hope the IceTV staff provide timely and appropriate responses to the numerous questions that will no doubt fill these forums when Skippa gets to people's homes.

bodogbodog

Quote from: Rat on June 10, 2015, 11:34:21 AMor have you been asked as a beta tester to report back on the software?
No - I'm not involved with SKIPPA in any way apart from as a pre order purchaser just like others
Like you I have lots of questions and expectations - but I'm not optimistic about getting them answered until IceTV choose to share more info or we receive the units
Right now my priority is that my old Wiz hangs on long enough that I don't have to send it off to Warkus for a repair

nis200sx

Quote from: Rat on June 10, 2015, 11:34:21 AM
They could answer my question with "IceTV choose to withhold the information regarding the manufacturer of Skippa due to commercial confidentiality reasons" then I would have to accept that.

I can't really understand why they would say that, but I'm sure there is much about their business I don't understand, I am no expert.

You answered your own questions. Commercial confidentiality agreements and licensing etc. TiVO, Fetch, Foxtel, Beyonwiz etc don't mention who makes their boxes, so why should IceTV.

I guess that as soon as Skippa is released that someone with a great deal of knowledge about the hardware will open the box up and have a look and will probably know from that who makes it. That is why I don't understand the thoughts behind trying to keep it a secret.

Someone voiding their warranty to open the case and guesstimate who made the box is different to a company breaching any commercial confidentiality or marketing agreements.

I assume that IceTV have chosen a well known and trusted manufacturer that has a history of producing quality PVR hardware, so why would they not want to promote that?

Realistically Skippa should stand on it's own build quality and reliability without needing to bolster it's image by referring to a manufacturer's past successes.

At first I thought maybe the question had not been noticed, that is why I posted it again, but it is now apparent that IceTV chose to ignore it instead of addressing. That is why my tone changed and yes I accept that I did sound demanding and in hindsight I would have been better off just letting it go rather than letting being ignored annoy me.

Have you considered that those answering this forum may not know the answer, or aren't allowed to answer your question. Posts can often be overlooked if other people post shortly after you, resulting in only the last post getting noticed. Other times it may be a case of "I don't the answer so I'll try to find the answer and reply later" or "I don't know the answer so I'll leave it for someone else to reply" (but everyone else is thinking the same thing).

Also, product forums generally tend to be for users to help each other rather than for the manufacturer to answer each and every question.

I do hope the IceTV staff provide timely and appropriate responses to the numerous questions that will no doubt fill these forums when Skippa gets to people's homes.

I expect they will provide their usual level of service.
Dave

Rat

Quote from: nis200sx on June 10, 2015, 01:26:09 PM

Well I hope upon Skippas release that they apply a bit more than their usual level of service on the forums which at best could be described as spasmodic, but you are probably correct.

snuke

New Beyonwiz T4 just got announced - http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=d14dd19ff33a326dbda099b2b&id=cb3f488e77&e=b27f800a37
Interesting to see how this stacks with the Skippa, ICE TV seems to be working with it too.

prl

I've been using IceTV on a T4 for some time. A test T4 is currently our main PVR. With IceTV, of course.

I'm interested in how Beyonwiz prices the T series against Skkipa.  ;)
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

injidup

QuoteThe Beyonwiz T4 will come in 6 Flavours, Barebone (No Internal HDD), 500GB, 1TB, 2TB, 4TB and a whopping 6TB ranging in price from $599 - $1099.

From an email I received today.

EdQld

On paper the T4 looks very impressive!
It has the 4 Tuners first promised by IceTV but dropped to 3 Tuners on the Skippa, and is sure to give the Skippa a run for it's money

Vortical

Quote from: Rat on June 10, 2015, 03:32:43 PM
Quote from: nis200sx on June 10, 2015, 01:26:09 PM

Well I hope upon Skippas release that they apply a bit more than their usual level of service on the forums which at best could be described as spasmodic, but you are probably correct.

I've been with IceTV for years and they have always been pleasant to deal with via phone or website support tickets.
I'm sure their after sales service for the skippa will be of a very high standard.

Vortical

Quote from: prl on June 10, 2015, 10:30:26 PM
I'm interested in how Beyonwiz prices the T series against Skkipa.  ;)

The weblink snuke posted above states the T4 will be from $599 and I presume that is barebones model with no hdd.
http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/seored/u=aHR0cDovL3VzNS5jYW1wYWlnbi1hcmNoaXZlMS5jb20vP3U9ZDE0ZGQxOWZmMzNhMzI2ZGJkYTA5OWIyYiZhbXA7aWQ9Y2IzZjQ4OGU3NyZhbXA7ZT1iMjdmODAwYTM3

edit:
The Beyonwiz T4 will come in 6 Flavours, Barebone (No Internal HDD), 500GB, 1TB, 2TB, 4TB and a whopping 6TB ranging in price from $599 - $1099.
Pricewise I already don't want a T4.  btw did the T3 ever even make it to retail stores?

Paul55

Quote from: Vortical on June 10, 2015, 11:36:13 PM
btw did the T3 ever even make it to retail stores?

No - and I doubt the Skippa will be there either. This seems to be the new marketing model - I hesitate to use the term 'price fixing', but this sales model certainly manages to avoid price competition between retailers.

IanL-S

I see both the T3 and T4 have separate tuners requiring and external pass-through cable. Networking - 10/100/1000 is a good move. It also has HDMI input.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help