Skippa Pre-Order

Started by Leon K, May 25, 2015, 12:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csutak40

Dick Smith seems to have a never ending (well, at least once a week) online (click and collect) "special" of the t model.  If you use other "tricks" like, apparently, you can purchase  DSE gift cards for at Coles which gives you 10% off your purchases, plus they (also quite regularly) offer $30+ off online purchases.  Just checked...  Today's "special" is $40 more expensive than their "usual" special, however they are offering $41 off your purchases, on top of the discounted price.  Some people, using all the available discounts, ended up purchasing it for $99.  :-) 

Basically, if you're interested in purchasing one, you need to visit the DSE site daily :-)
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

IanL-S

Quote from: warkus on September 18, 2015, 04:05:26 PM.... It was definitely confirmed that UEC are the OEM, but For price comparison, note that the SKIPPA has a faster CPU and WIFI which the 9600t doesn't so that may add a little to the production cost I guess.

Mark

I had missed/overlooked/fogotten the greater processing power. The specification for the Skippa may have changed (there is no longer a reference to the SoC manufacture or model), however the information originally provided was summarised (by me :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[) as:
The Skippa uses Broadcom 7241; CPU power: +3000 DMips; Flash Memory: 256MByte; RAM: 1 GB DDR 3
(see http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/skippa/44/new-icetv-branded-pvr/3886/285)

According to Broadcom:
The BCM7241 is a small IPTV Set-top Box System on a Chip (SoC) that integrates full STB capabilities with IEEE 802.11.ac standard Wi-Fi.
(see https://www.broadcom.com/products/set-top-box-and-media-processors/iptv/bcm7241)

However the Skippa is claimed to only have Internal 802.11 b/g/n (no ac).

So it is unclear what SoC is being used, other than it is made by Broadcom. Definitely not a BCM7141 as it has 5000 DMIPS total processing power. The only Broadcom SoC I could find rated at 3000Dmips was the BCM7424 which also has wifi capabiliteis: see http://www.broadcom.com/products/set-top-box-and-media-processors/cable-%28stb-and-media-processors%29/bcm7424

The 9600t uses a Broadcom BCM7231 SoC.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

gas667

Quote from: gas667 on September 18, 2015, 03:33:36 PM
Quote from: FMB on September 18, 2015, 03:32:24 PM
I wonder what their definition of a 'big shipment' is?

I have just sent a question to Support asking that exact question. Will post if I find out.

I have received an answer from Dave and, although I didn't get an amount, mine is in this delivery and my invoice number is 201241. So if your number is lower than mine it should ship early next week. If it is higher then I don't know. Sorry.

monksy

Where is our Friday 5pm email tell us that we have to wait longer again?

CuriousGeorge

They seemed to have let zoszos68 put a post up on here instead of the Friday 5pm email......its called outsourcing ;)

zoszos68

Quote from: CuriousGeorge on September 18, 2015, 05:53:39 PM
They seemed to have let zoszos68 put a post up on here instead of the Friday 5pm email......its called outsourcing ;)

But I haven't been paid yet. :'(
Then come to think of it when was I contracted to do this ;D

Kevin

gas667

Quote from: CuriousGeorge on September 18, 2015, 05:53:39 PM

It would be nice to get some type of official clarification. We got an add for another machine though.

Vortical

Quote from: gas667 on September 18, 2015, 04:35:41 PM
Quote from: gas667 on September 18, 2015, 03:33:36 PM
Quote from: FMB on September 18, 2015, 03:32:24 PM
I wonder what their definition of a 'big shipment' is?

I have just sent a question to Support asking that exact question. Will post if I find out.

I have received an answer from Dave and, although I didn't get an amount, mine is in this delivery and my invoice number is 201241. So if your number is lower than mine it should ship early next week. If it is higher then I don't know. Sorry.

I was informed before all the September changes I should be in the first batch too, but I have no idea if that's still true or not.  My invoice is in the 2017xx range and I was told there's around 700 orders before mine.

Hopefully it's the first 1000 that are on their way or better yet hopefully they've actually landed in Australia already.

::) I'm getting so tired of checking the forums for the latest news!!! ::)

Carljh

I asked the question of where I was in the queue, ordered mine on the second day of sale on i/v 201199 and was told that I'm on the second batch arriving next week.  Don't know if this second shipment is being air freighted also or coming by sea but do not expect for one minute for it to arrive as forecast.  What about the email a couple of weeks ago saying all the orders would be delivered in September.  Seeing Choice are doing a review on the Skippa, perhaps they should check out the Forums and report on Ice TV's customer service or lack of it.  Perhaps they would also award them one of their 'Shonky Awards'!!

gas667

Quote from: Carljh on September 18, 2015, 10:50:03 PM
I asked the question of where I was in the queue, ordered mine on the second day of sale on i/v 201199 and was told that I'm on the second batch arriving next week.  Don't know if this second shipment is being air freighted also or coming by sea but do not expect for one minute for it to arrive as forecast.  What about the email a couple of weeks ago saying all the orders would be delivered in September.  Seeing Choice are doing a review on the Skippa, perhaps they should check out the Forums and report on Ice TV's customer service or lack of it.  Perhaps they would also award them one of their 'Shonky Awards'!!

OK I'm confused. Your invoice number is lower than mine but this is the message I got from Dave

"Thank you for contacting IceTV Customer Service
If you are asking is your Skippa is in this batch that landed at Sydney airport today then the answer is yes, yes it is :o)"

csutak40

Seeing Choice are doing a review on the Skippa,

Did I miss something?  Where did you see that?
Cheers,
Judy

Carljh

Quote from: csutak40 on September 19, 2015, 12:37:05 AM
Seeing Choice are doing a review on the Skippa,

Did I miss something?  Where did you see that?

Ice TV email 11/9

csutak40

Thanks for that.  Missed that bit. :D 

Funny, I was under the impression that Choice does their "reviews" incognito, purchasing the item in a store.  If they get one from the manufacturer, it is not the same thing, is it?
Cheers,
Judy

prl

Quote from: csutak40 on September 19, 2015, 01:53:31 PM
... Funny, I was under the impression that Choice does their "reviews" incognito, purchasing the item in a store.  If they get one from the manufacturer, it is not the same thing, is it?

It may depend on where the review appears. The blurb at the bottom of the inside cover of the print version of Choice says "We [Choice] pay full price for products we test, so remain 100% independent. We don't take advertising or freebies from industry."

I'm pretty sure that applies to everything that appears in the Tests section of the print Choice, but I'm less sure about the "mini-reviews" that appear in the Checkout section. Checkout in March 2015, for example, had a review of the Tesla S P85+ battery electric car. It was clear in the article that the unit they tested was a loaner from the distributor, so it's a little less certain what their rules are for those reviews.

Choice also published a test (Tests section) on PVRs in August 2015. The Skippa wasn't included in that test, and I wouldn't think that they'd have another Tests section on PVRs for a while (they hadn't done one for more than a year before the test published in August).
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

IanL-S

I am informed by a usually reliable source that the Skippa shipment did not get to the IceTV warehouse on Friday. Hopefully it will get there on Monday (preferably first thing).

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help