Help Request: Humax PQ

Started by 1putt, March 13, 2015, 06:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1putt

Hi. Sorry this is off-topic but hope it may get the response I need from knowledgeable people.

I have a 7510T connected via HDMI to a Sony Bravia UHD and the PQ is terrible. Same setup to a FHD TV looks good.

Symptom: Background colours look pastel and patchy with wavy lines through them. Changing Humax output quality makes no difference.

Connecting via composite video, the video is low-def but quite watchable. PQ is acceptable.

Does anyone know how to get a decent PQ via HDMI to a UHD TV?

Dave at IceTV

The Humax PVRs are known for their excellent picture quality. It's upscaling of SD channels can make SD channels as sharp as HD channels. Plus they are one of the few PVRs that can upscale everything to 1080P instead of topping out at 1080i.

I'd suggest trying your Humax on another TV screen to check if the PVR is working properly. And maybe try another HDMI cable.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

carlprowse

Some wild conjecture!

Your UHD TV may be using a different upscaling algorithm for digital video via HDMI compared to upscaling the analogue composite video. So the answer may be in your UHD TV settings rather than the Humax.

You could also try setting different screen resolutions in the Humax setup. (The 7500T supports  576i - 576p - 720p - 1080i - Original. I don't know what the 7510T supports.) This change may trigger use of a different upscaling algorithm by the UHD TV.

Have you tried another HDMI source such as a BluRay player? It may help identify whether the problem is with the Humax or with the UHD TV.

Trialling another HDMI cable is well woth a try.