suggestion: variable padding for different channels.

Started by popybear, February 26, 2015, 06:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popybear

Here's a suggestion for IceTV improvement:

There is variability in the amount of padding required to record programs and this variability appears (to me) to be network related. For example, SBS sticks pretty close to the advertised times and is a good behaviour. The nine network is a notorious serial offender for its failure to start and end programs on time, except of course for the news and the start of say, the cricket. So it's a conscious programming decision to NOT stay on time. Rotten b@#$^s.

The result of the variability between networks is that my default 10 minute, globally set, post-padding for SBS is way too much time. But 10 minutes is rarely enough for both nine and seven. The ABC is generally fine at about 7 minutes, Ten is usually OK at 10 minutes. I have not done a study on the network naughtiness so my figures are anecdotes. Other opinions would be handy.

So my suggestion to the programmers at IceTV would be to allow variable pre and post padding, ideally for all recordings, but perhaps (in a trial of the concept) for each network. Waddya tink?  :)

Cheers all.

PS. How about a political party for the next senate election - The "Keep TV Programs On Time" party. Almost certain to get elected, heh-heh.

IanL-S

Pre and Post padding are determined by the PVR firmware. It would be possible for IceTV to include such a setting, but it would increase the risk of conflicting timers being identified by the firmware. This I suspect is the reason why this feature has not been implemented before now.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help