Cannot confirm the account because of the current network condition of the IceTV

Started by ubermensch, February 06, 2015, 08:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubermensch

Once again I have had failed recordings on my Humax. I go to check the EPG settings and get the message mentioned in the subject. This has been happening since yesterday (this time) and is still the same this morning. How do I troubleshoot this ?

Cheers,

UM

ubermensch

OK, so the IceTV EPG is working again after I rebooted the Humax. This is great for now but it would be good to know how I can find out how this is dropping out as it is the second time this year, and obviously very frustrating. BTW, I didn't mention in the OP but I upgraded to the latest firmware after the last disconnection.

Cheers,

UM

Leon K

Hey Ubermensch,

Glad to hear it's working again -

That error message actually indicates that the Humax is not connected to the internet, and thus can't access IceTV. This can be either because the router's internet connection has dropped out, or most likely the connection between the Humax and the router has dropped out.

Sometimes the WIFI connection can drop out if the router is rebooted, or the Humax fails to aquire an IP address from the router in time and times out - this is usually due to a weak connection between the Humax and the router. Often moving the Dongle to the front of the Humax helps too.

ubermensch

Thanks for the heads up on the possible cause. It's currently connected via ethernet cable to a Wifi repeater as the router/modem is at the other end of the house and there's a lot of bricks in between. I might look in to setting up a EoP powerline outlet instead to see if I get more stability.

Cheers,

UB

Leon K

Yes the WIFI repeater may not be getting a strong enough signal, EoP would be a great solution (just make sure that it is connected directly to the wall socket and not on a power board).

An alternative possiblity would be to setup a manual IP address to prevent the DHCP acquisition from timing out:

Menu -> Settings -> Installation -> System -> Internet Setting -> Configure WIFI -> Make sure WIFI setting is correct -> Apply -> Configure WIFI(LAN) -> Change DHCP to Manual -> Save / Apply.

This will now tell the Humax to connect to the router with this address only, and should prevent any time-out issues related to network latency.

ubermensch

Thanks, I'll check that setting as well and change if it is not static already.

Yes, I have been looking at the various options in EoP and am looking at the ones that have the AC power-thru (or AC socket on the front) so that I can still run the power board. A spare wall socket anywhere near the TV is a rare thing.

IanL-S

WiFi repeaters place additional overhead on the the communication process. You may be better off using a wifi bridge and setting the bridge to use different spectrum to the wife router.

My experience with PowerPlug devices has been very positive. You are likely to get a much faster connection with that approach than wife (assuming that you wifi is n rather than ac).

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Paul55

Quote from: IanL-S on February 27, 2015, 03:51:09 PM
You are likely to get a much faster connection with that approach than wife

I feel your pain  :o :o :o  ;D ;D ;D

IanL-S

Quote from: Paul55 on February 27, 2015, 06:10:36 PM
Quote from: IanL-S on February 27, 2015, 03:51:09 PM
You are likely to get a much faster connection with that approach than wife

I feel your pain  :o :o :o  ;D ;D ;D

Woops. Not one of my better days yesterday. Also, my wifi solution would require an intermediate device that supports two different wifi streams, which I suspect is not common. You would need a third device.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help