Tasmania and Daylight Savings

Started by ando9185, September 30, 2006, 06:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ando9185

Been taking a look through the guide on the Toppy and on the widget and it seems that after tomorrow a lot of the data is an hour out.

Tasmania moves onto daylight savings tomorrow morning and Sunday's guide is fine, but from Monday there are problems.

Also, one other Tasmanian issue, Southern Cross Nightly News is sometimes incorrectly listed as Seven News, not a major problem but if there is a timer search for the news (I often come home later on and like to watch it and fast forward) it doesn't always get recorded.

Mitch IceGuide

Just re-checked for Tassie and as far as I can make out, Southern Cross and Win are fine, however TDT certainly was an hour out. Was that exactly what you noticed? We'll keep a special eye out for Southern Cross Nightly News .... your point is well taken. Thanks for the friendly warning on all this. Cheers.

ando9185

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for the quick reply!  :)

You want the good news or the bad news? The good news, this is hopefully the last year it will happen (if the other states change their start date to match ours).

The bad news, it gets confusing. From what I believe, everything on TDT, ABC2, SBS and SBS World News will be one hour later. e.g. Neighbours will move from 6:30pm to 7:30pm, Ten News at Five will be at 6 etc... they're the easy ones.

The other channels all have a few scheduling changes all throughout, some on ABC and many live programs on SCT and WIN. Some examples I've found by comparing my grabbed guide and another guide are Sunrise and Today run from 7-10am rather than 6-9am. Australian Idol on Southern Cross (and TDT) will now appear at 8:30pm instead of 7:30pm.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there are quite a few changes like that coming up. I'm not 100% certain that ABC2 and SBS2 will be an hour later, but that is what they have done in the past.

Cheers,
Chris

richo

Just to add my 2c to this, from what I can tell, ABC seems to be right, the other stations seem to be out an hour... I hope that this gets fixed soon!!  :)

ando9185

I've already had my first casualty, I forgot to set the time on the Toppy! I managed to get every other clock in the house except the important one! So we got the last few minutes of All Saints this arvo.

Ah well, I'll take a look at the guide later on and see what I can see is happening but I think a lot of today's was pretty good and then it was wrong from tomorrow.

Mitch IceGuide

Hi Again ..... ok I'm officially confused. As far as I can gather, WIN & Southern Cross run an hour later than usual from midnight to 4pm each day. The usual 3 - 4pm programs have been dropped to bring back to 'normal' for the remainder of the afternoon and evening. TDT appears to run an hour later than usual and will for the duration of the time difference with Eastern Mainland .... with the odd program changed (ie:6am) just to make it really interesting. SBS & ABC also look to be simply running an hour later than usual. If the IceGuides are not reflecting what I've set out above ... let me know again pls. (they are from where I am sitting and looking). Thanks again for your patience and help.

richo

Okay, so an update from my MCE recording listing for Sunday night , the shows I recorded on Southern Cross were an hour behind (i.e. the guide had them starting an hour too late) but luckily I decided to record a couple of shows before them just to catch this kind of problem!  However, 'The Worst Jobs in History' on the ABC didn't record at the right time... although the ABC guide was right during the day (for example, it showed 'Insiders' starting at 10.00 which was correct), 'Worst Jobs' was not at the right time on the guide and therefore didn't record!

I suspect (and from what I recall from last year) that the ABC ran an hour ahead of schedule during the day but then adjusted to the "right" times during prime time.

*sigh*

I wouldn't want to work at icetv for the next month!!!  :)

ando9185

I think the ABC drops the hour between 6pm-7pm AEST (looking at the guide, this year it might be 5pm-6pm AEST gone), so then from the 7pm news until the next morning they are running on the right times (and then we get shows before the mainland!)

richo

Quote from: ando9185 on October 02, 2006, 07:00:34 AM
I think the ABC drops the hour between 6pm-7pm AEST (looking at the guide, this year it might be 5pm-6pm AEST gone), so then from the 7pm news until the next morning they are running on the right times (and then we get shows before the mainland!)

Yep, I think you're right... my recording for last night went from 8.30 til 9.30 when it should have been 7.30 - 8.30...

chaosr1

Why does it have to be so hard, Tasmania is ahead 1 hour. It would be so much easier if we didnt start 1 month in advance of the rest. :-\

richo

Quote from: chaosr1 on October 02, 2006, 03:22:39 PM
Why does it have to be so hard, Tasmania is ahead 1 hour. It would be so much easier if we didnt start 1 month in advance of the rest. :-\
Or if the rest started with us which is clearly superior!!  ;)  Which, seriously, is what I think SA, VIC and NSW are planning on doing... QLD never has DST.

On another note, my most recent guide update seems to have everything in order now... I hope it lasts!!  Well done Mitch and the rest of the team!!

chaosr1

All seems good my end as well, 4 weeks of hoping to go.

ando9185

Just got home, will update soon and see how it goes.

WRT to the daylight savings, I think our time is much superior, I love daylight savings when the nights are lighter! A month or two ago, Steve Bracks introduced a thing looking for support for a national (states that do it) start to DST, it has received support but hasn't been introduced yet, but hopefully next year and they will all start on the first Sunday with Tasmania.

ando9185

Just checked out the guide on the widget, looking good! Thanks for all your help Mitch and the team!

wfdonald

I use the JustEPG tap (on a Topfield) instead of the IceTV guide (which is really bad at showing all channels - in fact can't). The Tas times in JustEPG are an hour out and I can't work out why.