Toppy 5K - again

Started by csutak40, July 04, 2014, 08:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csutak40

I doubt there are too many of us still holding onto the Toppy5K.  I was keeping fingers and toes crossed that the IceCube (or what ever it was going to be called) will materialise before the Toppy turns its toes up, but the silence is deafening about that.  :(

So...  something weird is going on and I hope that one of you gurus here will be able to diagnose it for me.

Got up this morning,  Toppy seemed fine (could watch TV through it) but soon discovered that none of the buttons were working.  So, I thought I'd reboot it.  Turned it off, the display panel became completely black.  Couldn't turn it on again.  So, turned it off at the wall.  That worked.  So, sigh of relief.  Went out for the day.

Just got home and discovered it in exactly the same state as it was this morning.  After I reset it, I discovered that it hadn't taped anything scheduled and TED reckoned that there was  "No connection to Toppy".  However now that I have reset it, I managed to upload the TED timers and can set a manual recording.  Not sure how long before it throws a tantrum again. It has been OK for about half an hour so far.
Has anyone here any idea what these symptoms mean and if you do, do you know of anyone in Melbourne that can fix ailing Toppies?
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

markb

Have you replaced the power supply capacitors? It is not too hard. See http://members.optusnet.com.au/~toppytools/pwrcircuit.htm.

My 5000 started playing up a few years ago. I replaced the caps and it is still running and well used by the kids every day. My own program, previously running on a NSLU2 but now a Sheevaplug, has been downloading ICE xml guide data and finding and setting recordings every night for the last 9 years, using EPG_uploader to set the guide and timers.

raymondjpg

Quote from: markb on July 05, 2014, 08:42:27 AM
Have you replaced the power supply capacitors? It is not too hard.

If you are loath to do this yourself (I would be) then there is a fellow who goes by the name of warkus on the beyonwiz forums who will do it for you at very reasonable cost and quick turnaround. But it would involve sending the power supply to Perth.

In view of the age of the unit, I would be asking warkus for advice on refurbishing the main board as well.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

csutak40

I certainly wouldn't dream of doing it myself  :o  The capacitors have been replaced once already.  If I remember rightly, that would involve having to send the whole thing to Perth.   :-\  I was hoping to find someone in Melbourne.  Funnily enough, it has been behaving since yesterday - but I doubt that yesterday (happening twice) was just a glitch
I have got the instructions (on how to change the capacitors) saved already.  Could that be done by anyone (say a TV repair person) or would it be safer to find someone that knows the Toppy?
I will definitely look for warkus and write to him.
Cheers,
Judy

Paul55

Quote from: csutak40 on July 05, 2014, 08:35:12 PM
Could that be done by anyone (say a TV repair person) or would it be safer to find someone that knows the Toppy?

The answer to both those questions is yes. Armed with the instructions, any competent electrical technician should be able to do a good job. Just make sure you use good capacitors like Panasonic from element14 - I've heard it is best to avoid Suntan brand which was originally recommended in one of the early repair guides.

markb

Quote from: csutak40 on July 05, 2014, 08:35:12 PM
Could that be done by anyone (say a TV repair person)

To back up what Paul55 said, if you give that toppy link I quoted above to any competent person who has experience with electronics then it should be a piece of cake. I am just a home hacker with a little soldering experience and I found it very easy to do myself. I used quality Panasonic caps from Element14, or RS components, can't remember which but it was one of those two. My TF5000 has been used extensively every day for 10 years and is still going strong.

csutak40

Thank you everyone.  I will attempt to find someone tomorrow.  Funnily enough, it has been behaving since those two episodes on Saturday, but I still think that it was a warning I should heed. ;D
Cheers,
Judy