Topfield Freezing again (slightly different)

Started by coolbaci, December 24, 2013, 09:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolbaci

Hi,

Putting this out there in case others are having this issue. Today at some point our 7100HDpvt started freezing, you can't do anything with the remote or on device button, the only button which does anything is the power button on the unit.

After turning the unit back on you can change channels, volume etc but you can't get into any menus (which is normal until the HD check has completed I think?). Its all fine until the unit has completed the HD check at which point the you can't change channel etc, you can continue to watch the channel you are on.

Just wondering if others have had this issue before or is it occurring for you? As I can't change any settings I can't exclude IceTV, can't reformat etc.

Joel

mfl3

Did you manage to get this fixed?  If so, how?

My Toppy is now doing the same thing.  It doesn't freeze but is stuck on the same channel after 'Checking HDD' and the buttons on the unit and the remote don't work after that.  The light flashes when I press a button on the remote so I know the remote is working, but I can't change channel.

It's annoying.  I even bought a new HDD, replaced the old one but no luck.  The same problem exists even with a new HDD. 

IanL-S

If I recall correctly my 7100HDPVRt also started behaving like this.

A major reason for problems with the 7100HDPVRt is a dead or dying power supply. The power supplies are notoriously susceptible to failure, particularly if the unit gets too hot. The 500gig HDD they shipped with puts out a lot of heat -- 9.4W, whereas the 500gig Pipeline drive in the TRF-2400 is rated at 3.4W and the 1TB Pipeline drive in the TRF-2460 is rated at 3.7W. I think the 2TB WD AV drive are somewhere under 6W as max ... the variable rotation speed means they rarely draw full power load. I can barley feel the head from them through the case, unlike the drives that the 7100HDPVRt shipped with which is makes the case noticeably hot.

It is possible to repair the power supply (if you know what you are doing). I suggest posting on the DTV forum for help: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=16828&st=1025.

Toppro no longer sell power supplies to users, if you want a new one, you have to send the Toppy to them.

It may be time to consider getting a new PVR given the difficulties/cost in getting the 7100HDPVRt up and running. If you want IceTV then the only Toppy that currently supports IceTV EPG and IceTV Interactive is the 2400; the cheapest way to get one is to get repack/reconditioned unit from OKShop (http://www.okshop.com.au/category.php?id_category=7) at about $330. (OkShop is an affiliate of Toppro, the Australian Topfield distributor.) If you do not want IceTV the 7260 is a good one to look at.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

coolbaci

Quote from: mfl3 on February 13, 2014, 11:12:20 PM
Did you manage to get this fixed?  If so, how?

My Toppy is now doing the same thing.  It doesn't freeze but is stuck on the same channel after 'Checking HDD' and the buttons on the unit and the remote don't work after that.  The light flashes when I press a button on the remote so I know the remote is working, but I can't change channel.

It's annoying.  I even bought a new HDD, replaced the old one but no luck.  The same problem exists even with a new HDD.

Hi,

I actually got an extended warranty years ago (I knew about the HDD issues and this was cheaper than HDD which I knew were prone to failure when I got it, it was cheaper than a new HDD and power supply). and so sent this away for repair. It came back with the exact same problem as soon as I turned it on. Apparently they replaced something but it clearly didn't fix it or even test it.

While unplugging it to sent it back I found that if I unplugged the aerial lead into the unit. Powered off and on again and waiting until the HDD Check was completed. I was then able to use the remote to reset to factory defaults. Once done, I plugged the aerial in and scanned services and it was all working again.

The problem came back a week later and I repeated the same procedure and it worked again. This time I formatted the HDD, although that didn't actually delete any of my shows so clearly that didn't do anything.

But since that second reset with the aerial unplugged I haven't had the issue again.

NBOSTI

My Toppy TFR7100HDPVRt was working flawlessly for years, then started freezing on live broadcasts. Same problems as posted earlier that remote wouldn't work etc,..I did all resets (when it was possible, kept crashing), in the end I was tempted to throw it out, but didn't.
I retired it. Having numerous eyeTV tuners on several macs, I could do without it.
After several months and out of curiosity I set it back up. Not a problem since.

I think the Toppy is a good device, could be great with better firmware, mine might of chucked a hissy fit for a while but is back to what it did out of the box.
Stick with it, give it time to rest ( sounds stupid, but it worked for me).

Now, if icebox ( when finally available ) is what they promise , I will get one.
Maybe with the advanced features of Elgato software, along with the playback capabilities of the DvicoTvix (which was promising but did not deliver, dying after 3 months), Quad tuners (not network specific ) and add iView ,.....

Garywg

Its the Caps on the power supply cheap fix, I know this is an old thread but  :-\ I hope people dont throw these in the bin.