Humax 4tune (HMS-1000T)

Started by rockets, May 19, 2014, 04:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcoggins

"One unconfirmed "feature" that I have heard about is that the 4tune cannot record more than 1 channel per tuner. So no recording ABC1 and ABC2 from 1 tuner, while recording 7, 9 and 10 from the other 3 tuners."

Are you seriously suggesting that ABC, 7, 9 and 10 would EVER all have shows worth recording AT THE SAME TIME???

I would reply " In your dreams"

nis200sx

Quote from: glenncol55 on June 08, 2014, 03:26:32 PM
Quote from: nis200sx on June 08, 2014, 02:59:31 PM
Going by the Humax Australia website, the 4tune seems to support the 3 Humax smart phone apps, and has samba support - though it reads like you need to copy the files to the Humax HDD before it can play them (assuming it has codecs to support said files).
Can you confirm this the case, i will not be buying unless it can stream directly from my NAS

Supported formats are
• Video: MP4, VOB, AVI, ASF, MKV, MPEG-2TS
• Photo: JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF
• Music: MP3

I no longer have access to the one I briefly played with so I also want to know the answer to this. I wasn't aware that it supported samba when I played with a 4tune so it wasn't something that I tested.

It would be strange to have samba support and not be able to stream media direct from a network SMB share (without DLNA). I hope it can as it would make an excellent replacement for aging DP series Beyonwizes. Humax are touting the 4tune as a media center so maybe the description of the samba capability lost something in the translation. 
Dave

GregoInc

Quote from: swamprat96 on June 07, 2014, 10:18:27 AM
Unless humax have done some serious changes this thing will be a 4 tuner version of the 7500. No smb no nfs just dlna for sharing/playback of media. The apps will be an extension of what was recently released.  Australia is too small a market for an all new product.  So another great free to air tuner recorder and a crap media server.

I am inclined to agree with above. In the last few weeks I've been trying to gain specifics on this unit as on paper it looks good. BUT... I received an email from IceTV basically telling me that Humax has confirmed the HMS-1000t will NOT support IceTV... and after emailing Humax I was unable to gain confirmation whether they do or do not.

I also tried to obtain info from Humax on compatibility with Samsung Smart TV's and whether the smart TV can stream live or recorded television from the HMS-1000t, but again couldn't get an answer.

So... I am going to sit and watch until more info gets out into the market, because I am worried the unit won't live up to the hype.

glenncol55

Quote from: GregoInc on June 09, 2014, 06:32:18 PM
Unless humax have done some serious changes this thing will be a 4 tuner version of the 7500. No smb no nfs just dlna for sharing/playback of media. The apps will be an extension of what was recently released.  Australia is too small a market for an all new product.  So another great free to air tuner recorder and a crap media server.

I am inclined to agree with above. In the last few weeks I've been trying to gain specifics on this unit as on paper it looks good. BUT... I received an email from IceTV basically telling me that Humax has confirmed the HMS-1000t will NOT support IceTV... and after emailing Humax I was unable to gain confirmation whether they do or do not.

I also tried to obtain info from Humax on compatibility with Samsung Smart TV's and whether the smart TV can stream live or recorded television from the HMS-1000t, but again couldn't get an answer.

So... I am going to sit and watch until more info gets out into the market, because I am worried the unit won't live up to the hype.

When did you receive this email?

GregoInc

Quote from: glenncol55 on June 09, 2014, 07:48:46 PM

Last week.

glenncol55

Quote from: GregoInc on June 09, 2014, 07:51:37 PM
Quote from: glenncol55 on June 09, 2014, 07:48:46 PM

Last week.
Yeah strange that apparently Humax only started talks with Ice last week from what we were told but as mentioned earlier in this thread i was told by Ice it would be compatible about a month ago

Nobody knows whats going on by the look of it

Fester

It would be nice if IceTV publicly stated on here what is the progress with any talks with Humax and whether there is likely to be compatibility in the short or long term. I would have thought it would be in IceTV's interest, if people are going out and buying this unit and it will never be IceTV compatible, then they have lost that business. I personally will not buy it if there is no compatibility.

GregoInc

Quote from: glenncol55 on June 09, 2014, 08:42:39 PM
Yeah strange that apparently Humax only started talks with Ice last week from what we were told but as mentioned earlier in this thread i was told by Ice it would be compatible about a month ago

Nobody knows whats going on by the look of it

Quote from: Fester on June 10, 2014, 09:28:07 AM
It would be nice if IceTV publicly stated on here what is the progress with any talks with Humax and whether there is likely to be compatibility in the short or long term. I would have thought it would be in IceTV's interest, if people are going out and buying this unit and it will never be IceTV compatible, then they have lost that business. I personally will not buy it if there is no compatibility.

Agree with both comments above. I found it really odd that IceTV were sending me an email without being able to give a solid answer. My first reaction to the email was WTF??

In my opinion the current situation is bad for both Humax and IceTV... and they should sort it ASAP because I wont be buying anything until the situation is clear.

Fester

swamprat96

Good review but not so good for ice TV.  However the media playback abilities were not covered. I'd want to see that first

Paul55

Quote from: Fester on June 16, 2014, 10:27:39 AM
There is now a review at :http://techau.com.au/hands-on-with-the-humax-4tune-a-freeview-dvr-media-server-and-slingbox-in-one/

Reads like a fluff piece written on behalf of Humax. References to 'Freeview' are concerning. IceTV and 'Freeview' are essentially incompatible and if the author doesn't understand the difference between 'Free To Air' and 'Freeview' he shouldn't be reviewing PVRs.

tldaley

I was told by Humax via their Facebook feed that IceTV WOULD be supported.

nis200sx

Quote from: Paul55 on June 17, 2014, 08:43:16 AM
Quote from: Fester on June 16, 2014, 10:27:39 AM
There is now a review at :http://techau.com.au/hands-on-with-the-humax-4tune-a-freeview-dvr-media-server-and-slingbox-in-one/

Reads like a fluff piece written on behalf of Humax. References to 'Freeview' are concerning. IceTV and 'Freeview' are essentially incompatible and if the author doesn't understand the difference between 'Free To Air' and 'Freeview' he shouldn't be reviewing PVRs.

It does read like a paid product promo. The author seems to be referring to Freeview as in "Free To Air Digital TV Channels" and not the "Freeview EPG" certified PVRs, though he never makes that clear enough to prevent readers mistaking the 4tune for a "Freeview EPG" crippled PVR.

Quote from: tldaley on July 10, 2014, 11:07:22 PM
I was told by Humax via their Facebook feed that IceTV WOULD be supported.

Do you know what date Humax posted that? The latest IceTV reference from Humax on their facebook page that I can find only says: "Our management is talking to IceTV." June 10 at 4:03pm.
Dave

nick87

Any news on IceTV integration? Colin O'Brien has posted on the Humax Facebook page indicating the cogs are definitely turning!

tldaley

Quote from: glenncol55 on June 08, 2014, 03:26:32 PM
Quote from: nis200sx on June 08, 2014, 02:59:31 PM
Going by the Humax Australia website, the 4tune seems to support the 3 Humax smart phone apps, and has samba support - though it reads like you need to copy the files to the Humax HDD before it can play them (assuming it has codecs to support said files).
Can you confirm this the case, i will not be buying unless it can stream directly from my NAS

Supported formats are
• Video: MP4, VOB, AVI, ASF, MKV, MPEG-2TS
• Photo: JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF
• Music: MP3

I just got my 4Tune and it will stream from my QNAP TS-669 PRO.