Topfield 2400 losing Icetv EPG data when turned off...

Started by mbiondo, May 14, 2014, 12:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbiondo

I've set up some series recording on IceTv but the shows are not being recorded. Everything seems to go smoothly; ie, all recordings that I set in my icetv app appear in the Reservations section of my Topfield. But the PVR will not wake from standby mode to record the show. I've noticed that when I turn the Topfield on, the EPG data is blank for about 30 seconds, before it redownloads from the icetv site. But I suspect that it is the blank EPG that is causing the failed recordings. So how does the Topfield 2400 store the icetv EPG? Is it cached on the hdd like on other units? If so, mine does not seem to be storing the EPG, so what can I do to address this? I don't want to leave the PVR switched on all the time.

Thanks

IanL-S

Strange though it may seem, the timers are not affected by the absence of EPG data. They are stored in flash memory. The only adverse impact of that I am aware of is that there being no EPG data is that there will be no extended information for the recording. IceTV EPG data is, if I recall correctly cached on partition 0 of the Toppys HDD.

The first thing to do is to see if you have the same problem if you leave the Toppy on 24/7. If not, then there is something going on that I do not have a explanation for. One thing I have seen is that timers are lost when you have consecutive times on the same network, and the commencement time of both is changed; sometimes the first timer is deleted but the replacement timer is not created. The second timer is OK. This happens because the Toppy tries to create the replacement timer, but cannot do so because it overlaps with the next timer. This only happens when the commencement time is made later; if it is made earlier it is possible that the second timer will be deleted but not replaced.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Paul55

How often is the Toppy used?
Does the power button on the left side of the Toppy remain red when you set it to standby?
Confirm you are using the remote to set it to standby.

IanL-S

It will help with our trouble shooting if you can give us the firmware (Application Version) that the Toppy is running. It can be accessed by Menu, Information, System Status. See screen shot at URL below.

http://oztoppy.wikidot.com/systeminformation

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

mbiondo

Well I've spent the last few days doing some testing and troubleshooting. So it seems there is a problem with the clock. The Topfield is not keeping accurate time. Let me explain. I noticed that when I turn it on and go to the guide, the time is always wrong. Sometimes a day out, sometimes only a few hours out. Most of the time, it will display the time of when the unit was last switched on. This is regardless of whether I have the time set to auto or manual mode. Further more, when the unit is switched off, the time displayed on the front of the unit is also wrong and does not advance. So if it displays 7:30 when I switch it off, it will just sit at 7:30 forever. So then when I program my recordings, with the time being all screwed up, the recordings are always missed. If I leave the unit switched on, the time does seem to correct itself after a while, but once back in standby mode (active or passive), the time is all screwed up again.

So I have tested all this with no internet, with wireless internet, with wired internet, with icetv, without icetv and standby mode in both passive (red circle at front when switched off) and active (time displayed on front when switched off). I have also performed a factory reset a dozen times, which seems to correct the issue for a short time before it reverts back to incorrect time.

My firmware is the latest, April 2013, I can't remember the actual number, something like TF 20.01.00 or close to. But I did investigate this and it definitely is the latest firmware.

So anyone have any other suggestions?

I'll be calling IceTv this afternoon to discuss options and organise sending the unit back.

Paul55

Does the 2400 have a backup battery like the old 5000 series? If so, it could be cheap and easy to fix - it would be something like a 'disc' shape battery found in some remote controls.