Big problems with streaming from DLNA servers

Started by tgilbert, April 22, 2014, 08:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgilbert

I've been debugging this issue for months now, but I'm ready to blame the Humax 7500T for not playing well with DLNA and uPNP media servers.

I have my Humax connected to a wireless network bridge along with my TV. At the other end of the bridge is my Windows 7 computer with a shared 2TB USB drive and a 1TB Seagate NAS disk. The Humax routinely loses connection to the Windows media server - it just crashes 40-45 minutes into playing a video file and I have to reboot the PC and the Humax to get it back.

At first I thought it was a Windows DLNA problem. So I tried other media servers (Serviio, etc) but they had the same problem. Thought it might be a network issue so I tried various solutions including running a temporary cable in place of the bridge, but it still happened.

Recently I've been playing my media files directly from the TV and leaving the Humax out except for recorded shows. The network and DLNA connections are absolutely reliable. No crashes at all. Moreover, the TV will play all media files whereas the Humax spits the dummy on about 20% of downloaded shows ("Can't play that format"). And more-moreover, the TV's presentation of the media files on the DLNA server is 100 times more user-friendly than that of the Humax, and with no delays in reading folders.

I switched to Humax from Beyonwiz, but I don't see myself buying another Humax.

swamprat96

yep my experience also. Great PVR but terrible media center. I'm now on to a WD TV live streaming and just use the Humax for free to air recording and live pause.

Even on the older firmware it was really slow to read media shares. The WD TV live reads the same shares much faster.  But its meant yet another device which is a PITA

GQshorty

Hi, I'm looking to but a 7510 and this functionality is critical to me.

A separate post (Most DLNA/UPnP clients won't see Humax HDR7500T media server) suggests there are major problems using DLNA with wireless, but it is all fixed with a wired connection.

Any chance of testing this for me ?? :)

swamprat96

That's what I'm using.  It works fine via Dlna on fixed lan but it's lack of codec support and it's terribly slow browsing speed makes it fairly useless for this function.

There isn't one magic device out there that does it all well. The Humax is a great PVR for free to air and good for web services like  iView , sbs on demand etc. Its a lousy media center-  thats not its prime purpose.

The WD TV live streaming is a great media center- but a lousy PVR and its web services are a joke. Thats not its prime purpose
Combination of the two works for me - but it is a compromise

tgilbert

So do you store your files on the WD HD TV Live? Or on a separate shared drive?

swamprat96

On a PC running a DLNA server (Tversity). I could just use the network shares as unlike the Humax - the WD supports SMB. But DLNA is faster

tgilbert

So what makes Tversity worth paying a licence fee for? Why is it better than the free media servers?

swamprat96

Bought it ages ago and forgot I paid for it. Any of the free ones should be up to the job. From memory I tried it as a replacement for windows media player to get around drm issues. When the trial ended I bought it as I didn't want to change my setup