Many problems with my Humax

Started by temp1234, November 01, 2013, 09:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

temp1234

Hi, New to this forum but have had my Humax for a number of years.  I have never in 2 years successfully recorded a full show.  Can someone tell what I am doing wrong?  I have my padding set for the full 20 minutes both ends but tonight, like always, I missed the last 3 minutes go the Big Bang Theory.  I noticed the previous show, Big Brother ran well overtime (funny about that) but what can i do too actually record a full show?  If the networks want to play funny buggers well and good (shame on them) but does that mean my Humax and Ice TV are of no use?  Should I scrap Ice TV and just use manual recording?  I know what the networks are doing, most shows are now running up to 25 minutes overtime but that argument aside, how do I get to record a show and feel confident I will get the last few minutes?

Many thanks in advance..

Dave at IceTV

First make sure that your Humax has the latest software installed. For your Humax model, software versions before 1.08.05 had a bug that affected padding. See How do I upgrade the firmware of the Humax

Then after updating the software you should do a factory reset. See How do I clear out all settings and start again? If you have already updated the software but did not do a factory reset then you should do one now.

Next, you could talk to Humax Australia about the current 20 minute end-padding not being enough. They could easily provide longer padding choices via a software update if they thought enough customers wanted it.

Finally, you can complain to Free TV Australia about the TV stations deliberately not sticking to their own advertised TV schedules, and contact ACMA requesting that they legislate broadcast scheduling strategies.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

carlprowse

Spot on Dave. Each commercial TV station has beenl awarded a licence by the federal government to provide a TV service. They are allowed to fund this service via advertising subject to certain regulations. The provision of the service itself is subject to regulations on content for children etc.

So the government could amend the terms of the licence (regulations) to insist that the broadcasters stick to the advertised schedules.

This could be enforced by banning advertising during any period during which they are running late, in order to ensure they return to the schedule as quickly as possible.

Ongoing breaches could put the licence itself at risk.

An alternative approach would be to ask the ACCC to intervene, as some channels, such as 7, always seem to run late. Their advertised schedules therefore may be considered as false advertising.

temp1234

Hi dave,

Sorry, tried all your suggestions.  No luck.  Still missed the last 5 minutes of the new series of Big Bang on Monday night.  I even cleared my entire schedule so that this was the only show to be recorded?  Padding set to max at 20 minutes.  Any further suggestions.

PS. I also noted the show turned up under the root directory, not the Big Bang directory and with no title???

prl

Is the firmware actually applying the padding? Check the actual recording length and compare it with the scheduled length. I have 25 minutes post-padding set (Beyonwiz), and I rarely miss the end of anything.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: temp1234 on November 19, 2013, 09:45:31 PM
Sorry, tried all your suggestions.  No luck.  Still missed the last 5 minutes of the new series of Big Bang on Monday night.  I even cleared my entire schedule so that this was the only show to be recorded?  Padding set to max at 20 minutes.  Any further suggestions.

PS. I also noted the show turned up under the root directory, not the Big Bang directory and with no title???
If the recording ended up in the root directory (instead of in it's series sub-directory) then the Humax thinks it was a single recording and not part of a series. When this happens repeatedly you have 2 options to fix it: Factory reset and resend all recordings, or delete the series and re-create it 20 minutes later.

It could have been a one-off due to the schedule not having a title. This happens when the schedule does not match the guide - often because the user has manually edited the schedule.

These are all symptoms of bugs that were in older software (firmware). What software version is your Humax showing that it has? Go to "menu > settings > system > system information" and note the "software version".

As prl asked, did the Humax apply padding to this recording? How long did it record for?

Where are you located, and what region is set in your account?
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

rick-b

Hi all,
My first post so here goes.
Just bought a Humax HDR-7500T (500 GB) and starting to wish i hadn't to be honest.

The wifi dongle is so unstable although everything else using the same wifi in the room works perfectly so don't think it's my wifi router causing the issue.

I've not been able to successfully record a show yet using the schedule recording feature. The unit starts and ends at the correct time but when i go into the 'media' i see that in some cases 0 minutes is shown as the duration although this seems to vary, the longest duration I've found has been 19 minutes. These are on shows that should have run for at least an hour.

I've tried to use the TV portal and the ABC iview feature but this just causes the whole thing to crash and requires a hard reboot.

The whole experience is proving very frustrating so if anyone can recommend a fix please let me know. By the way, i'm on version 1.08.09 firmware release.

dcoggins

One suggestion - if you have your wi-fi dongle plugged into the rear USB port, try using the one on the front instead. If that fails you may have to use a direct ethernet connection. The TV portal will not work unless you have a good connection.

I have no suggestion for the recording failures. If you can't get any results, get onto Humax support asap.

Good luck!

rick-b

Dave at IceTV

Hi Rick,

As well as Dale's excellent suggestion of moving the wireless dongle to a front USB port have a look at our Humax wireless troubleshooting tips here:
http://support.icetv.com.au/entries/20383062-Wireless-Troubleshooting-Tips

For your recording issues it could be that IceTV is trying to record on the wrong channel. Make sure that there aren't any duplicate channels, on the same numbers or high numbers like 350 or 1000.

Also check that the region and channels in your account match those on your Humax.
http://support.icetv.com.au/entries/22454742-How-do-I-map-channels-on-the-IceTV-website-for-my-Humax-PVR
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Kakuyeq

Quote from: rick-b on January 13, 2014, 12:10:49 AM
I've tried to use the TV portal and the ABC iview feature but this just causes the whole thing to crash and requires a hard reboot.

The whole experience is proving very frustrating so if anyone can recommend a fix please let me know. By the way, i'm on version 1.08.09 firmware release.

I have a 7510T ... I bought it to replace a TiVo and add iView capability, but like you are saying, iView doesn't work - it just crashes the whole box.
Has anyone been able to fix this? Otherwise I am going to have to return it.

On a positive note, my Wifi was completely unstable like yours after the device did a firmware update. I did a factory reset and that seemed to fix it .. but WHY!? I have no other electronics which require a factory reset to make them work when they do their own updates. Why this one?

Firmware is AUTFAB 77.85