Help with Icebox -Toppy data transfer speeds

Started by brianh, August 04, 2006, 10:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianh

OK all you network gurus, it's time for you to to utterly bamboozle me with your expertise... my setup is as follows

I have an Icebox2 connected to my toppy; I have managed to set up an Xbox connected to the Icebox directly with cat5 cable (from another room by ~ 10m of cable), and access to the toppy's data files. The relevant cache settings on the Xbox have been set to the max.

When playing files from the toppy, the stream starts OK, but soon starts halting and stuttering; I found that pressing one of the gamepad buttons displays data rates - the buffer starts out OK but gradually (over ~20 secs) decreases to 0%, when the stuttering starts. Data rate appears to be "256000" for one file. (no units shown?)

What is the rate that Icebox can "supply the data off the toppy" - is it fast enough, and how would I test that?

Is there any way to optimise or adjust it?

Any info welcome,

Cheers,
Brian H

brianh

After further investigation, it appears the problem is with the rate at which data is being transferred from the toppy to the IceBox2... (I guess that means it's the USB causing the limitation?); it is only registering "frame rates" of between 9 - 20 fps (as measured on the xbox) when a file's info puts it @ 25 fps...  (the same file on the PC HDD streams wirelessly with no problems...)

Edit: Toppy transfer rates appear to be around 256 Kbps(?) - the rate for files played from the PC is around 480 Kbps...

does anyone have any clues as to how I can improve this?

Cheers,
Brian H

Bigboboz

So you're trying to watch via streaming? The xbox can decode the rec directly? Hmmm interesting...

I've been downloading from the Toppy/Icebox2 via wireless at around 4-4.8mbps so this is too slow for streaming, broadcast I think is typically 6mpbs or more.

My issue is that my connection just stops after a while and I have resume or my router's wireless component seems to crash and I lose the wireless connection...any ideas on that one?

256kbps seems slower than what you should be able to get, anyone know if the icebox2 can do turbo mode?

brianh

Hi Bigboboz,

I'm not cluey enough to know about your drop-out issue, I'll have to leave that to others more knowledgeable;  as for Icebox2 having Turbo, I'm pretty sure it does (as I also use Trecx which can enable it's turbo mode, so it must be possible)

You might be interested to know that when I stream from a PC that is on the other side of the wireless bridge to the Icebox2, it works fine - so it doesn't seem to be a throughput issue with the Icebox2.

Cheers,
Brian H