Red dots turn to red donuts

Started by eafywan, November 13, 2013, 01:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eafywan

Hi all

We have a Beyonwiz DP-Lite which works well most of the time. We have a strange situation where the programs we have set for the week will all send the timer through perfectly and the weeks shows are all showing red circles. a day or so later I will check the ICE app or website and some random shows will have changed from red circles to red donuts. I have checked the timer list on the PVR and those shows are no longer in the timer list. No amount of resyncing the device works, the only way to get it to resend the timers is to delete them and set them up again from scratch. This kind of defeats the purpose of using ICE TV, so hoping someone has a suggestion on this issue?

Example is tonight MARVELS agents of SHIELD was set to record but has now changed to the red donut in the list. I recently updated to the PVR firmware to the latest 01.07.351 from the Beyonwiz site to see if it would fix this issue but it is still happening.

Cheers

prl

I haven't come across this sort of problem. What firmware are you running (SETUP>System>Firmware>Firmware Information, Firmware Version entry)?
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

grampus

There is one reason for the solid red to change to doughnuts.  It would be when the Ice server has to alter the start and or finish times of an existing timer.

My understanding is that that under these circumstances that the Ice server should/would change the show to a red doughnut, with the new times.
Then at the next time the BW gets a new timer list, it should delete the old timer on the box, and then resend the new timer along.

Although all this doesnt explain why your timers that have been altered havent been sent.

As to resending all your timers. 
The requirement is to go to the initialization section of the BW menu, use the delete all timers entry.
Then go back to the Ice TVGuide,> My account > TV recorders and resend from there.

BeyonWiz, T3

eafywan

Thanks for the replys.

Peter, I am running firmware 01.07.351 which is from June 2012. They don't seem to update firmware very often, that being said the DP Lite is a fairly reliable unit from all accounts.

Grampus, thanks for the tip to resend all. I'll give that a go. It doesn't help though if the times have changed and your PVR is switched off but there isn't much ICE can do about that. It will be interesting to see what the new Icebox can do, updating timers with the unit in standby would be an awesome feature.

Paul55

Do you have a daily fetch of EPG data/timers? I have mine set for 4:00AM when nothing else is likely to be happening.

prl

Quote from: Paul55 on November 13, 2013, 04:54:06 PM
Do you have a daily fetch of EPG data/timers?
I have a regular switch-on to update the EPG and timers on one Beyonwiz (the less heavily used) and rely on updates that happens in the normal course of recording stuff on the other one. I don't see anything like eafywan's problem on either.

It's not unusual for programs (especially prime time shows) to go from solid to donut during the couple of days before broadcast, when IceTV makes small adjustments to their start times and durations to try to second-guess the randomised actual broadcast times and durations that the networks subject us to. However, I normally see these turn back to solid as soon as the Beyonwiz concerned has come out of standby and re-synchronises with IceTV.

I'm really puzzled by the timers disappearing from the Beyonwiz.

Efywan, are there any error messages in the IceTV status window (STARTUP>Network>Ice Guide) when your Beyonwiz tries to synchronise with IceTV? Do you see the normal synchronisation messages?
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

tjcurnow

I've got a Humax not a Beyonwiz, but in any case something odd happened with SHIELD today.  I don't know what, but I suspect that maybe ICE changed the time by 5 minutes and put out the new version without removing the old version.  My Humax had solid circles on the show until today, but then this morning (after the machine came on to record a show) I got emails to say that it had a failed timer like it does when there are overlapping shows. I had to delete everything for this evening and resend, even though there was nothing that overlapped by the time I looked to see what had gone wrong.

grampus

Quote from: eafywan on November 13, 2013, 03:32:17 PM

. It doesn't help though if the times have changed and your PVR is switched off but there isn't much ICE can do about that..
on the BW, set up a daily view only timer for say 20 minutes.  maybe set it up to 4 pm.  this hopefully will capture any of the late changes to the prime time shows.  this'll wake it up and drag in any new altered timers
BeyonWiz, T3

prl

Quote from: tjcurnow on November 13, 2013, 10:53:53 PM
I've got a Humax not a Beyonwiz, but in any case something odd happened with SHIELD today.  I don't know what, but I suspect that maybe ICE changed the time by 5 minutes and put out the new version without removing the old version.  My Humax had solid circles on the show until today, but then this morning (after the machine came on to record a show) I got emails to say that it had a failed timer like it does when there are overlapping shows. I had to delete everything for this evening and resend, even though there was nothing that overlapped by the time I looked to see what had gone wrong.
I've had that happen on our on Beyonwizes, too, but it's not what the OP described. When that happens on Beyonwizes, the updated entry in IceTV shows the warning (actually error) triangle after trying to synchronise, but the old timer remains on the Beyonwiz. The OP says that there are no timers for the shows showing up on the Beyonwiz. There are a few replies in this thread that don't seem to have noticed that detail.

Eafywan, have you tried clearing all timers on the Beyonwiz and then resending all the timers from IceTV? Not really a fix, but perhaps it might get the timers and IceTV back on speaking terms.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

eafywan

Thanks for the input all, I have now set up a daily on timer for a half hour to allow the sync of any new or modified shows. I also deleted all the timers and performed resync. The status screen on the BW shows that the guide and sheduler tasks have completed OK although it seemed to take a delete all timers and resend from the Ice server to get everything right again, we'll see how it goes.

Dave at IceTV

Hi eafywan,

Did you notice if your Beyonwiz had any old timers stuck in the timer list.

Hi tjcurnow,

What you describe sounds like a bug that was in an older software version. Go to 'Menu > Settings > System > System Information' and check that your Humax has the latest software, which is version 1.08.09

cheers

Dave
Customer Service

eafywan

Hi Dave, it didn't last night or this morning while messing around but occaisonally the BW will not shut down or start properly and just flashes the blue light (4 quick flashes) on the front. Everytime this happens, it misses the timers which I normally just clear manually. It does still seem to update OK from the Ice server after that though. I assume this is a glitch with the BW not switching on or off correctly but haven't actually found any info on the BW site as to what the 4 fast flashes means.

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: eafywan on November 14, 2013, 04:04:39 PM
but occaisonally the BW will not shut down or start properly and just flashes the blue light (4 quick flashes) on the front.

I assume this is a glitch with the BW not switching on or off correctly but haven't actually found any info on the BW site as to what the 4 fast flashes means.
The four 0.2 second long flashes followed by a 3 second pause before starting the sequence again means Error 0000... which normally means the power supply is failing (so it cannot read the boot loader).

See page 2 in the following document for a list of the error codes indicated by a flashing front blue light on a DP-Lite.
http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/media/guides/BeyonwizLEDErrorCodeListFull.pdf

Page 1 lists what each code means.
- The "LED DISPLAY" column lists the codes for the DP-Lite (as determined by page 2).
- The "VFD DISPLAY" column lists the error displayed for all of the other models.

For repair/diagnosis talk to 'warkus' on the Beyonwiz forums.
http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=7191
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

eafywan

Thanks for that Dave, that's fantastic. I might do the PSU repair when I have a spare $30 and a couple of hours!! ;)

prl

Quote from: eafywan on November 15, 2013, 12:40:22 PM
Thanks for that Dave, that's fantastic. I might do the PSU repair when I have a spare $30 and a couple of hours!! ;)
A failing power supply can lead to other problems, like loss of data on the HDD. Repair the PSU sooner rather than later, if you're able to.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use