Most DLNA/UPnP clients won't see Humax HDR7500T media server

Started by entilza72, July 20, 2013, 10:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

entilza72

Hi peeps,

Loving the Humax, but I've had it for almost a year and over three different firmwares it continues to be almost useless as a UPnP or DLNA media server (for playing its recorded media files out to other devices).  I have the current firmware 1.08.05, but this has been an issue for the 3 most recent firmwares.

Basically, the Humax's built in dlna server does not show up on most of my dlna players, even after an hour.

Here's a basic list of my clients and the results:

Windows Media Player 12 - Humax server never appears
Western Digitial WDTV Live - Humax server never appears
iPhone/iPad Plug Player - Humax server never appears
PlayStation 3 - Humax never appears to begin, but sometimes appears after an hour of the PS3 being online.  I can force the Humax to appear 3 times in 4 by hard power cycling it with the PS3 already running.  Upon booting the Humax, it will appear to the PS3 within 10 minutes.

I've search the net many times for solutions - no one seems to be running into this.  I'd love to fix it because a dlna server on your PVR is a killer feature.

Any suggestions?  The Humax is running on wireless.  Some of the clients are wired.  Some are wireless.

Ent.

toppytools

Seeing as Windows Media Player 12 works for me can I ask the obvious question; Have you enabled 'Content Share' on the Humax in 'Menu > Settings > System > Internet Setting'?

Windows Media Center also works for me.

entilza72

Hi toppytools. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes, content sharing is enabled. It's not a total failure - as per my list above, the PS3 can be made to see it. So I'm pretty certain we can rule out global configuration issues, eg global networking, Humax settings.

My biggest suspicions are with either a bug in the Humax server (ie not properly dlna compliment), or a bug with using both humax wireless + dlna server.

Can I ask you - is your humax wireless or wired?

And does the humax appear as soon as you open Meida Player 12?

Ent

Doctor Whatuwant

Mine is wired and Media Player sees it immediately.

Doc.

toppytools

Quote from: entilza72 on July 20, 2013, 05:10:39 PM
My biggest suspicions are with either a bug in the Humax server (ie not properly dlna compliment), or a bug with using both humax wireless + dlna server.

Can I ask you - is your humax wireless or wired?

And does the humax appear as soon as you open Meida Player 12?
I am using wired. I'll try wireless and let you know if it is any different.

If I start the Humax when Media Player 12 is already running it takes about a minute before the "HDR-7500T Media Server" appears under "Other Libraries".

If I start Media Player 12 when the Humax is already turned on it takes about 10 seconds for the "HDR-7500T Media Server" appears under "Other Libraries".

I should mention that the Humax videos are only listed under "HDR-7500T Media Server > Videos > All Videos" and "HDR-7500T Media Server > Videos > Folders". None of the other choices list anything (they appear empty). e.g. Music, Pictures, Recorded TV and Playlists are empty, as are Actors, Genre and Rating etc under Videos.

toppytools

I just tried using wireless instead of wired and there is a difference under one scenario.

FYI I have the Humax's "Power Saving in Standby" set to ON, if that makes a difference.

1. If I start Media Player 12 when the Humax is already turned on it takes about 30 seconds for the "HDR-7500T Media Server" appears under "Other Libraries" (instead of 10 seconds with wired).

2. When I started the Humax with Media Player 12 already running nothing happened. It's been over 25 minutes and I'm still waiting for the Humax to appear.

3. I just repeated 1 and 2 with a laptop and the Humax appeared as it should both times.

So I get the same issue as you when I use wireless on the Humax to a wired PC if the Humax turns on after WMP12. But everything works OK if WMP12 is started after the Humax, or when using wireless Humax to wireless laptop, or wired Humax to wired PC.

Interestingly while waiting for the Humax to appear on the wired PC, Serviio appeared. I have Serviio, Plex and TVersity running on this PC. Plex, TVersity and my DiskStation NAS all appear right away, every time I start Media Player 12. Though none of these other servers should affect seeing the Humax.

On the laptop, Serviio, Plex, TVersity and WMP (all from the other PC) and my DiskStation NAS all appear right away, every time I start Media Player 12.

entilza72

Hi all - thanks for the input.

Toppytools - looks like we've got this surrounded.

I hooked the Humax up to a network switch port (nowhere convenient I'm afraid) and bingo, all devices can see it.

With my PS3, starting the Humax while the PS3 is running makes it appear most of the time.  This sounds the complete reverse to what you're seeing on Media Player 12.  However, there are some devices for me that never work with it.  These devices now all work when the Humax is connected to Cat 5.

So confirming, for me at least - if the Humax is on a wireless network, most dlna devices will not see it.  Switching over to wired (ethernet, cat5, cat 6, whatever) resolves the issue and the media server is discovered by all 3 players within seconds.

Thanks everyone.  Should we perhaps fill out some kind of bug report?

Ent.

toppytools

Quote from: entilza72 on July 21, 2013, 12:27:07 AM
So confirming, for me at least - if the Humax is on a wireless network, most dlna devices will not see it.  Switching over to wired (ethernet, cat5, cat 6, whatever) resolves the issue and the media server is discovered by all 3 players within seconds.
Definitely seems like the Humax's DLNA support when it is using wireless is not 100% reliable.

Quote from: entilza72 on July 21, 2013, 12:27:07 AM
Should we perhaps fill out some kind of bug report?
Should let Humax support know, in case they don't already. 

entilza72

carlprowse

For what its worth, I have had success using the Humax HDR7500T as a DLNA server to the following devices:
+Sony BDS580 blu-ray player
+iPad with 8player app
+iPad withMoliplayer HD app which supports AirPlay to AppleTV

I use an Apple Airport Extreme dual band router and all connections are by WiFi. The Humax can be a little slow to appear, but once it does, all works well.