New IceTV branded PVR

Started by Mantorok, July 17, 2013, 01:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rat

If I could not stream MKV files over network that would literally be a show stopper for me as it would provide less functionality than my aging current PVR. Let's just hope it has enough networking options and up to date file support to keep everyone happy :)

snuke

You can stream MKV over dlna, however it requires transcoding or re-muxing. Personally the only case I know of re-muxing instead of transcoding is Plex to PlayStation. Not sure why they don't do it as their standard thing, it uses a tiny amount of resources to achieve whereas transcoding is a CPU hog and will cripple basic systems.

EdQld

Ice Rep's, will the Skippa have the feature the BW T3 has,  in being able to add a 4th external Tuner?

I have been hanging out since last year for the IceTV 4 Tuner PVR, but now that it has been reduced to 3 Tuners and named Skippa, it would be great if one could add an extra Tuner  ;)

IanL-S

Quote from: EdQld on April 25, 2015, 04:23:50 PM
Ice Rep's, will the Skippa have the feature the BW T3 has,  in being able to add a 4th external Tuner?

I have been hanging out since last year for the IceTV 4 Tuner PVR, but now that it has been reduced to 3 Tuners and named Skippa, it would be great if one could add an extra Tuner  ;)

We live in hope ... extra tuner a big plus.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

JPP

Quote from: IanL-S on April 25, 2015, 05:23:07 PM
Quote from: EdQld on April 25, 2015, 04:23:50 PM

We live in hope ... extra tuner a big plus.

Ian
Almost a must for me really... I can't for the life of me see why it was decided to just have 3 tuners. Both the Wiz (with an outboard add-on tuner) and the Humax offer 4 and there've been quite a few occasions when I could use all 4. It's rare that I want to watch or record two services on the one channel. Two twin tuner modules instead of 3 single ones would have made more sense. Perhaps the design was based on the Wiz T3, and if it is, adding a 4th should be possible.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

Rat

On 27th April IceTV put out their usual email promoting the Skippa is coming in MAY and the ad links to their page that has not been updated yet and still says Available for purchase MAY. Even though they have known for some time that this is not correct and it will only be available for pre-order (quite different) in May and Purchase in June, if we are lucky. I wonder how many people who just get the email and don't visit the forum will be disappointed by that?

Dave you have had the product there for at least a week now, I would guess much longer and it's getting very close to the time for pre-orders, when can we expect the specs to be released and our questions answered?

EdQld

Nice article, but doesn't give us anymore info though  :(

Paul55

Rat

Yeah it's not a news article but an infomercial, I wonder if it was sponsored? see the Ice Team has time to post on the comments below that story (I assume it was them) but not much time for here.

Rat

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on April 16, 2015, 03:28:28 PM
We will be taking pre-orders for Skippa in mid May for those who don't want to miss getting in first and want to save around $100.

Yet another release date slip, in the two weeks since this post it has now slipped to LATE May for the Pre-order.....not that it really matters for me, I won't be pre-ordering a product with functions that remain a mystery to me.

MoDementia

Hi,

It's May and no extra details/specifications :(

I really think I need to switch to a PVR from Windows Media Centre (2 x 2200 Huappauge dual tuners) as much as I hate to.
But .wtv container is causing al sorts of issues extending my library to newer applications (Plex etc)

Not sure I can wait much longer, unlees I win one in the draw, wink, wink.

Shame cause I was all set to order maybe even 2

However If I can confirm that it will do everthing I need it to I might be willing to wait....
Beyonwiz T4 ->, My Rename Code ->, VideoRedo AutoProcessor ->, Synology 1815+ ->, Plex + MediaMonkey

EdQld

With the frustration of waiting I decided to just go ahead and order the Altech PVR9600, but the Dealer upped the price when I asked for a postage price  :-\

I took that as a sign to wait a bit longer for the Skippa, it still sounds like the PVR & features I want, even without the 4th TV Tuner, surely it is only a "Hop, Skippa and jump" away now  :D

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: Rat on April 28, 2015, 11:20:57 AM
Dave you have had the product there for at least a week now, I would guess much longer and it's getting very close to the time for pre-orders, when can we expect the specs to be released and our questions answered?
Guys and Gals, I cannot give you information that I don't have or am not 100% certain about. I won't guess or make up answers to be seen to be pro-active. I have only played with a skippa for about 5 minutes and that was possibly a pre-production model and definitely beta firmware. So any specific information I could provide now (especially firmware related) could be wrong when the finished product arrives in June.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

EdQld

"So any specific information I could provide now (especially firmware related) could be wrong when the finished product arrives in June.
[/quote]

Fair enough Dave, is the June release solid or could it move into July?