Skippa as a networked media player?

Started by Rat, May 25, 2015, 08:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prl

The contract, though, is with you, though, not with the Skippa.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

warkus

So basically that means you can never sell your Skippa, or the person that purchases it has to take out a yearly ICETV subscription if they don't already have one. Lol, how ridiculous. Again the Skippa doesn't work without ICETV, it does not run on FTA EPG.

I cannot see ICETV enforcing that, it would devalue the resale of their product completely as the person that purchases it would need to shell out potentially $50 to $80 a year for a subscription on top of the cost of the second hand Skippa, depending on what special/price they get the subscription for...when in reality the device comes with ICETV for life, linked to the device apparently according to comments made.

Nope, that's not on. I thought that was the whole reason the ICETV was linked to the device - so that the device always worked with ICETV for its lifetime, I assumed the ICETV sub if linked to the device would work via MAC address or something like that, so the association of the person to the device via say my ICETV account is all that would be required, I use my ICETV account on the Skippa I receive, and it links the Skippa device to my account via MAC address, that's the way I imagined it would work being device based.

So why in the world can it not just be transferred to work on another users ICETV account if it's ever sold to someone else in the future... Surely it can...

Mark

FMB

Quote from: FMB on August 07, 2015, 08:32:08 PM
Probably a simple question and please excuse my ignorance. My Skippa will be attached to my TV in my living room. I also have a TV in the bedroom which has nothing connected to it (except an arial). What do I need to buy to be able to watch recorded shows on Skippa on my bedroom TV?

In my quest to find a suitable box to put in the bedroom to watch Skippa content, I had settled on the WD TV Live box. Inexpensive at $129 and would do the job. Then I came down with a really bad cold and was trapped at home all weekend, bored stiff. We decided to bite the bullet and sign up to Netflix (which was not as easy as it sounds). I later realised that latest WD TV Live box doesn't support Netflix. I believe there are some workarounds, but I couldn't be bothered.

So I went hunting again and stumbled across the Laser MMC-S30. More expensive at $199 but seems to have more features than most of the other boxes on the market. Thoughts anyone?

IanL-S

If I recall correctly Apple TV supports Neflix.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

FMB

Quote from: IanL-S on August 17, 2015, 01:24:09 PM

Ian

Correct. That's what I ended up using to watch Netflix on the weekend. But, AppleTV isn't a DLNA player and while it's possible with 3rdparty apps, it's a lot of stuffing around. I'd rather on simple all in one solution. WAF is critical.

Likkie

Quote from: FMB on August 17, 2015, 01:38:19 PM
Quote from: IanL-S on August 17, 2015, 01:24:09 PM

Ian

Correct. That's what I ended up using to watch Netflix on the weekend. But, AppleTV isn't a DLNA player and while it's possible with 3rdparty apps, it's a lot of stuffing around. I'd rather on simple all in one solution. WAF is critical.

That unit looks like it will do everything you want.  However, I would check what the DLNA player interface is like.

I'm guessing, from a quick look at the specs, that you will need to use KODI/XBMC which is excellent software but kind of overkill if all you are after is a simple DLNA player to stream recordings from your Skippa.

Have you looked at DVD/Bluray players that have Netflix/DLNA capabilities?

Cheers,

Likkie.

FMB

Yes, I have considered them, but space is at a premium where the TV is in the bedroom.

Likkie

Quote from: FMB on August 17, 2015, 03:47:31 PM
Yes, I have considered them, but space is at a premium where the TV is in the bedroom.

OK how about a 2nd hand WDTV Live Streaming (Gen 3). That is the previous model which had the Netflix client.

csutak40

quote author=Andrewt link=topic=4188.msg19574#msg19574 date=1387170371]
On Saturday 14th December 2013, IceTV's CEO, Heinz Herrmann, was the weeks special guest on Tech Webcast to chat about IceTV and the future plans the company has in-store. Our IceCube get a lot of mentions in this webcast.

Here is the link to have a listen for yourself: http://www.techwebcast.info/techwebcast-episode-269/
[/quote]

As I mentioned elsewhere, I have been going through some old posts here.  I have come across the above.  Heinz's bit starts at 42:30. This is when he first mentions the "auto-skip" and of course talks about the four tuners.  However, what made me prick my ears up starts at about 1:01:35. 

This is when he explains  the  "clustering" of PVRs, that the Skippa (or IceCube as it was then) will be a "virtual PVR" combining all the IceTV enabled devices in your network.  Now that, I would have happily paid extra subscription for!   :P

What became of that?  It really would be great if someone would bother telling us what happened to all of that?  Is there a possibility that this will happen with later firmware?
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

nis200sx

Quote from: Likkie on August 17, 2015, 03:42:12 PM
That unit looks like it will do everything you want.  However, I would check what the DLNA player interface is like.

For me the usability and interface are key. Very few devices with YouTube can access your 'play later' list (AppleTV can). Very few devices can fast forward or skip forward AND back seamlessly in ALL file types (Kodi on decent hardware comes close). These little things might not matter to many people but when you are used to them anything that cannot do the same is a disappointment.

The Laser MMC-S30 does look like a very nice network media player. But there have been plenty of devices with excellent specs that never lived up to their promise. Dvico, DXtreme, AppleTV, WDTV etc. They had great specs but weren't great at everything. I cannot find an online review of the Laser MMC-S30 anywhere which is a worry.
Dave

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: ColdasIce on August 21, 2015, 05:50:14 PM
Quote from: warkus on August 15, 2015, 08:42:15 PM

So why in the world can it not just be transferred to work on another users ICETV account if it's ever sold to someone else in the future... Surely it can...

They don't seem to have any interest in answering that question for you, perhaps you could ring them up and ask and pass on the answer to us?

warkus' comment was a rhetorical question in response to prl's (incorrect) comment.   
cheers

Dave
Customer Service