Wi-Fi Static IP

Started by Fester, July 11, 2013, 09:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fester

Just received the Humax HDR-7500. One issue I have, and a setting that I have always seen in other Wi-Fi devices, is the ability to set static IP addressing. The Humax doesn't appear to be able to have static IP other than the LAN. My network is static IP as I have devices that I access over a VPN. Bit disappointing or am I missing something?

swamprat96

You can set a static IP in Wifi as I had it set on mine. From memory go to the lan settings and it will allow you to enter a static IP. It looks like its LAN but its set for wifi

Fester

Tried that, but as soon as I go "apply" in the LAN settings it tells me there is no LAN connection and I go no further.
I might try setting it up on a LAN connection first then insert the Wi-Fi dongle and see what happens.

Fester

Tried all combinations, just looks like you cannot have static IP addressing on Wi-Fi. To me, one thing that lets this PVR down then. You can on LAN but not on Wi-Fi, bit odd!

swamprat96

I'm at work now so I'll have a look when I get home. Unless the recent firmware changed it I definetely had it set . When you open wifi settings does it show DHCP? The setting is either there or under it

Doctor Whatuwant

No expert but I have set the static IP for the Humax in the router settings, not on the Humax. That way every time the Humax requests a new IP the router gives it the same one. Most routers have the ability to set at least one static IP and usually several. It works for me.

Having said that, I don't really understand why a client device has this menu setting in the first place.

Cheers,

Doc.

Fester

Quote from: Doctor Whatuwant on July 12, 2013, 09:41:21 AM
No expert but I have set the static IP for the Humax in the router settings, not on the Humax. That way every time the Humax requests a new IP the router gives it the same one. Most routers have the ability to set at least one static IP and usually several. It works for me.

Having said that, I don't really understand why a client device has this menu setting in the first place.

Cheers,

Doc.

I assume you did that using the Humax MAC? I have never had to play with router settings for any Wi-Fi device before, they have all had that option in their own settings.

Fester

Quote from: swamprat96 on July 12, 2013, 09:23:53 AM
I'm at work now so I'll have a look when I get home. Unless the recent firmware changed it I definetely had it set . When you open wifi settings does it show DHCP? The setting is either there or under it

No, under Wi-Fi the only settings are:
Network Name, Security Type & Password

prl

That's not what's usually meant by "static IP", though it achieves something similar, and I find that it's easier to look after. I use it on my local net, too (but I don't have any Humaxes).

Static IP usually means manually setting the IP address on the device that has that IP address.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Doctor Whatuwant

Quote from: Fester on July 12, 2013, 09:44:43 AM
I assume you did that using the Humax MAC? I have never had to play with router settings for any Wi-Fi device before, they have all had that option in their own settings.

Yes that's right. So setting static IP in the device means it never requests an IP from the host? I just felt that my method was a better way to stop the router having an anxiety attack.

Doc.

Fester

I have 35 clients, all static addressing. I have had router failure before, so it is just a matter of plugging another in, set DHCP to off and away you go!

Doctor Whatuwant

Ah I see. I have a mixture so DHCP is turned on. I'm pretty sure I tried the Static IP setting on the Humax first (LAN connected) and kept having trouble, but it could have been something else.

Doc.

IanL-S

Cheers,

Doc.

The option speeds up the negotiation of the network connection. The speed with which this happens can be critical (it is on my Toppy), for example if the PVR cannot connect to IceTV when it is loading IceTV will not function (at least that is what I see with my Toppys). It can even make a difference with Ethernet connection - with early Toppy 7100+ it was necessary to get a reliable IceTV service.

Ian

[/quote]
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Fester

Hi Ian. I also have a Toppy 2460 and I have never had that issue you mention. In fact my network has been very stable and everything cruises along nicely by having the IP set on all the clients. My router is an Asus RT-N66U.

What I find a bit odd with this Humax is it allows setting of static IP on the LAN side, but not on the Wi-Fi side (well not that I can find anyway!).

Dave at IceTV

Many Topfield owners have reported that their Topfield deactivates the network - which in turn disables IceTV - if it cannot connect to the network as it turns on. 

On the Humax, the DHCP setting is in the "Configure LAN" menu. This setting affects both LAN and Wi-Fi. In fact in the latest software version the menu name changes to "Configure LAN(Wi-Fi)" when Wi-Fi is enabled.

In older software you only seemed to be able to apply a change between Manual and DHCP when there was an Ethernet connection. One (drastic) way of getting the Humax set to DHCP was a factory reset. The "May 2013 1.08.05" (and 1.08.06?) software has changed this so you can now switch between Manual and DHCP when using WiFi without an Ethernet cable connected.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service