Can't upgrade to 1.08.05

Started by bitflipped, June 27, 2013, 11:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitflipped

I've been trying to upgrade to the latest version of firmware without much luck.

I have tried via the recommended TV Portal method , "New software has already been applied" is displayed (and an OK button)

I then followed the "Recommended Firmware Update Steps" via USB which doesn't work either, nothing seemed to happen at all. Tried reformatting the USB stick (FAT, FAT32, NTFS), a different USB stick, Reset to Factory Defaults, reformatting the internal HD, front USB, back USB, slow tap, fast tap.

Both methods wont work for me, related perhaps?  Help stuck on 1.08.04

johnb

My experience is very similar. The email from Ice TV said to use the Portal - but exactly the same result as bitfliiped. I then tried the empty USB stick without success either.  Only tried the rear USB port as per the instructions but I did try restarting multiple times with various techniques of tapping the button.
I purchased my Humax only a couple of weeks ago and it came with firmware 1.08.04 installed.

kbosward

Same here. Can't update via portal (says already applied), nor by USB. Got sick of tapping on that stupid standby button trying to get it to recognise the USB stick with the firmware! Formatted USB with FAT and FAT32, tried front and back USB.

Edit: I have 1TB model.

Ken.

swamprat96

Dave at IceTV

For everyone who cannot update to the May 2013 1.08.05 software you probably have the variant that requires the 1.08.06 software. See my other post here.

If you try to update from the TV portal now it should work.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

kbosward

The portal still didn't work for me, but this time USB did work with 1.08.06 firmware.

Ken.

bitflipped

Thanks all, from memory I have loader 7.8x

I'll try the TV Portal method when I get home.  Failing that I'll try USB 1.08.06

UPDATE:

TV Portal didn't seem to work, same result...  but i'm happy to report that USB worked fine

andjoa

Hi

Anyone have any more luck trying to update. I have 1.08.04

I have the HDR-7500T/V variant. I cannot update via tv portal or by the usb stick. I downloaded the 1.08.06.

Tried reformatting usb stick fat 32

Any further suggestions ?

thanks
Andrew

johnb

Andrew,
I had trouble updating with the USB stick - until I realised that Google Chrome had placed a (1)  in the filename. You must edit to be just HDR_7500TV_upgrade.hdf
After that it upgraded fine.

John

andjoa

thanks for replying John

Still not working unfortunately I have tried with the front usb port as well. I have also tried yet another usb stick.

How quickly were you tapping, slowly or quickly ?

Dave at IceTV

For tapping speed I find one tap per second works well. Count 'slowly' 1 and 2 and 3 etc.

What size USB stick are you using? The smaller the better.

One tip from the UK forums is to remove the USB wireless dongle so that the USB stick with the software update is the only USB device plugged into the Humax.

Apart from making sure that there is nothing after the TV in the file name (no spaces, no (1) etc) you should check the properties of the software file after you have copied it to the USB stick. If you dragged and dropped the file to the USB stick you may have actually created a shortcut. In this case the properties would show a tiny 800 byte file instead of the expected 20 odd MB. If you just clicked on the download link and allowed your web browser to download the file it may have thought that the file was a text file and added a .txt after the .hdf - i.e. HDR_7500TV_upgrade.hdf.txt - so while viewing the properties check the 'file type' and check if there are 2 file extensions.

When viewing the properties of the file:
- The file type should be 'hdf file' and not 'text file' or 'shortcut' or 'link' etc.
- The file extensions should be .hdf
- The file name should be HDR_7500TV_upgrade and not HDR_7500TV_upgrade.hdf.txt

To avoid issues you should right-click on the download link and select 'save target as' or whatever your web browser calls it and then select the USB drive as the download destination - and allow it to overwrite any existing file with the same name.

Also make sure that you do not have both software types on the USB stick. e.g. HDR_7500T_upgrade.hdf and HDR_7500TV_upgrade.hdf
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

andjoa

Hi Dave
It is definitely the file not the link. It is the correct extension.

I was trying a 8GB but have tried a 2GB and still nothing.

Why does the humax not know there is an update available via TV Portal ??

Andrew

Dave at IceTV

Hi Andrew,

The problem is that the TV Portal has not been updated yet to Support the T/V variant PVR. They are working on it so you will be able to update your 7500T/V model via the TV Portal soon.

Are you sure that you downloaded the TV file? This one here:
http://www.humaxdigital.com/au/data/product/1357287848/HDR_7500TV_upgrade.hdf

Are you sure that there is not a hidden 2nd file extension?

Try deleting any Humax files off the 2GB USB stick and then right-click on the link above and save the file directly to your USB stick.

My button does not seem to work on the sides any more, so when turning the Humax on tap the centre of the front button once per second. 
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

andjoa

I feel like an idiot. I pressing the power toggle on the remote control, instead of the PVR !!!!!

johnb

Andrew,
In replying to your message originally, I almost wrote a comment about this - because this was my first thought when I read the Humax upgrade instructions! We are so used to using a remote control - that when it mentioned the standby button, the only button you normally use is on the remote. It was only when I thought a little deeper about how the firmware upgrade process would work that I realised that they would be talking about the button on the machine. So, you are not alone....

John