Will IceTV develop a Topfield TAP for non icetv models?

Started by Vortical, May 11, 2013, 05:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vortical

Just curious if IceTV have any plans to develop a TAP For Topfield models that are not IceTV capable
ie 7160, 7170 & 2470.

I hope so as it appears new Topfield models don't seem to be IceTV capable anymore.

IanL-S

I think it may well be possible. I have a recollection that many of the IceTV API calls are in the firmware. The main requirement would be for the TAP to be able to initiate download of EPG data and timers. This clearly can be done since TAPtoDate does so.

IQN
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

IanL-S

Vortical, this of course would be second best. What we would prefer is native IceTV support. Since Topfield introduced the optimistically name Intelligent Recording (IR) they seem to have lost interest in IceTV.

Since the IceTV part of the firmware seems to be a module rather than integrated, is should be easy to add it to the firmware for other models. Topfield could even make money out of it by charging say 50 for IceTV enabled firmware. All you would need is a special firmware update that changed the system ID. Just a thought. I would be willing to pay $50 to get IceTV on my 2470 or 7160 (both currently with parents-in-law).

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

Paul55

I think the best thing we IceTV supporting consumers can do is boycott non-Ice compatible PVRs (including offending Topfield models).
I expressed my concern over a year ago regarding the lack of new Ice-friendly Topfield models and I've seen nothing to indicate my fears are unfounded.

IanL-S

It appears I have broken the boycott by buying a 2470 - but I could not resist as it was only $338. The problem with TMS Toppys is that the firmware appears to have reached the max size supported by the non-volatile memory. The firmware for the 2470 and 2400 are about the same size; I suspect that iView was added at the expense of IceTV.

However, the problem seems to be a lack of inclination on the part of Topfield/Toppro rather than technical reasons. They managed to port the TMS firmware to new hardware (TRF-2100 and TF-T5000) with relative ease - although neither of those models supports TAPs. One would have liked the new TF-T6000 to support IceTV, although as far as I can work out it does not. There is some suggestion that the TF-T6000 may support TAPs, but I would give that a reliability index of 30%. There is a discussion of the TF-T6000 here: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=133943.

Ian
Synology NAS