Always Rebooting after turning on network sharing

Started by ENFORCER, March 06, 2013, 03:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ENFORCER

Hi,
I just bought a brand new Humax 7500T from ICETV and went through all the setup.
Everything was fine for about an hour until I enabled the Network sharing in the menu.  About a few minutes later, I noticed the HUMAX logo and a7.81 appear on the screen.  I then realised the unit had rebooted with START SYSTEM displaying on the front of the 7500T.  This seemed to happen every 2-3minutes.  I managed to get back into the menu and turn it off. Since I turned the sharing off, it has not been a problem. I am running the latest firmware & it is connected via ethernet cable.
Is there any trick or known problem with the DLNA sharing ?
When I had it activated, I could see the network shares on my home network and also could see the recorded TV on the 7500T.
Please advise.
TIA

swamprat96

sounds like its struggling with your DLNA source. What are you using on the PC its connected to? Disable the dlna on the computer and see if it stops. If it does download the free version of TVersity or Twonky and try again. Got another PC you can try?
Also- make sure you are not getting an IP conflict. Seeing you are on ethernet assign a fixed ip on the Humax

ENFORCER

Hi Thanks for the reply.
I have 2 DLNA servers on my network + the 7500.  There is a PlayonTV PCWIN7 server and WDMyBook.  Both are working fine, as is the rest of the network.
I did manage to play content form the MyBook fine on the 7500T.  I did however notice the reboot after I connected to the 7500t with my Twonky on the ipad.

swamprat96

OK so it sounds like its possibly the iPad yes? Both of the other devices are OK and don't cause the boot?

I have an Ipad and they are notorious for grabbing ips of other devices on a DHCP network. To work around this I assigned the DHCP server to start at a higher number ie
Network is 10.1.1.X. DHCP starts at 10.1.1.30 - so all devices using DHCP get addresses starting from 10.1.1.31.

The humax and the fixed PC's have static addresses under 30- ie- the Humax is 10.1.1.5. There is no way the iPad can bump it off that address as the first address it can get is 10.1.1.31

Its worth a shot

prl

Quote from: swamprat96 on March 07, 2013, 08:46:19 AM
OK so it sounds like its possibly the iPad yes? Both of the other devices are OK and don't cause the boot?

I have an Ipad and they are notorious for grabbing ips of other devices on a DHCP network. To work around this I assigned the DHCP server to start at a higher number ie
Network is 10.1.1.X. DHCP starts at 10.1.1.30 - so all devices using DHCP get addresses starting from 10.1.1.31.

The humax and the fixed PC's have static addresses under 30- ie- the Humax is 10.1.1.5. There is no way the iPad can bump it off that address as the first address it can get is 10.1.1.31

Its worth a shot
What you seem to be describing as a bug is how DHCP is supposed to be configured. You're supposed to keep manually, statically assigned IP addresses in a distinct IP address range separate from DHCP-assigned addresses. DHCP has no other way of knowing what addresses are already "taken" as static allocations and that it's not supposed to use. Unless the iPad's DHCP client is receiving an allocated IP address from the DHCP server and then using a different address, what you've described as a bug in iPad seems to me to be it simply using DHCP-assigned addresses in a (previously) mal-configured DHCP setup.

An alternative to the use of manual static IP addresses is that some DHCP servers permit permanent associations to be made between a device address (MAC address) and its corresponding IP address. Using this technique means that the DHCP server "knows" about all the IP devices on the network and it can be left to do IP leases to any address available in the net (other than those with permanent associations. This also means that if all devices can be DHCP clients, then they can all be safely left with DHCP enabled. I'm not sure how widespread this capability is in routers. Mine certainly has it and I use it to keep some of the IP addresses in my network "nailed down".
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

swamprat96

Thats good to know- my fix is "preferred practice" :-*

I didn't realise DHCP works like that by design. Cheers

prl

Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Doctor Whatuwant

Quote from: prl on March 07, 2013, 10:51:53 AM
I'm not sure how widespread this capability is in routers. Mine certainly has it and I use it to keep some of the IP addresses in my network "nailed down".

Pretty common I think. My old Netcomm had one reserved address space and my new Netgear has several (that is until it crapped itself after one week).

The thing that took me a while to get a handle on is that it is the client (Humax) that 'asks' for a new IP address and the host (router) that responds. If the client does not ask in a fixed period of time it is disconnected by the host. My mistake was that I turned DHCP off on the Humax, and I could never see it on the routers connected devices list. The correct way (I think) is to leave the Humax DHCP 'on', and use its MAC address to assign a static IP in the router. So every time it asks it gets the same IP back. That way the router knows it's there and everything is hunky-dory.

Now, why does the Humax need a static IP? The only reason I know of is that to create a nework FTP connection to the Humax you need to enter an IP address as part of the FTP path, so a static IP means you don't need to change the path every time you use it. Is this correct or am I missing something else?

prl

Quote from: Doctor Whatuwant on March 07, 2013, 12:58:45 PM
Now, why does the Humax need a static IP? The only reason I know of is that to create a nework FTP connection to the Humax you need to enter an IP address as part of the FTP path, so a static IP means you don't need to change the path every time you use it. Is this correct or am I missing something else?
I don't have a Humax, but that sounds like a good reason for wanting to have static IP addresses (or permanent leases).

There are similar issues with Beyonwiz: for example using its capability for connecting to network shares is simplified if the network file servers have unchanging IP addresses.

Quote from: Doctor Whatuwant on March 07, 2013, 12:58:45 PM
The correct way (I think) is to leave the Humax DHCP 'on', and use its MAC address to assign a static IP in the router. So every time it asks it gets the same IP back. That way the router knows it's there and everything is hunky-dory.
"There's more than one way to do it." The way you describe is what I do, but what swamprat96 described as what he now does is also a reasonable way of doing it. I prefer setting permanent IP leases in the router, because it makes it simpler to ensure that IP addresses aren't used more than once by different devices (can lead to nasty network problems), and that it's a more efficient use of the address space - you don't have to reserve address space for future devices, and so you only reserve the addresses that you actually need.

Wikipedia has a good description of DHCP, but it's probably more detailed than most folk need.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Dave at IceTV

IanL-S posted an interesting observation in the Topfield section here.

Quote from: IanL-S on March 16, 2013, 03:27:11 PM
PowerdDVD can cause DLNA enabled PVRs (including Topflelds) to spontaneously reboot. The solution is to disable all services related to PowerDVD on PCs with PowerDVD installed.
Alternatively for those who don't know how to disable Windows services you could just uninstall PowerDVD.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service