Humax HDR7500T Freezes with Firmware v1.08.04

Started by carlprowse, December 08, 2012, 11:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcoggins

Carlprowse - will post as soon as I am sure. This time of year there's not a lot of shows I record - not a sport fan, and the rest is mostly crap - so it might take a while to prove that it's fixed the problem.

If you do reformat there's one thing to check - all my scheduled series recordings had to be refreshed as they were also cleared.

dcoggins

No luck with the HDD reformat - the freeze happened again. I have sent the following email to Humax support.

"I have formatted the HDD but regret to advise that the freezing problem has re-occurred whilst browsing files on the HDD.

I am not sure if it is relevant, but the freeze occurred after what seemed to be a short boot-up. There did not appear to be any "START SYSTEM" message and no splash screen. The display almost immediately showed the channel name and the program appeared quite quickly.

I will watch more closely in future to see if there is any repeat."

Banger01

Same problem here.  As with others, seems to be when navigating folders.

Tried the fix on this http://redeyedmonster.co.uk/humax-pvr-9200t-freezing-locking/

Working so far. 

dcoggins

Our new unit has completely failed now - absolutely dead.

It's been sent back for replacement - Humax support were excellent, but I'm left without a PVR - hard to go back to live TV  ....  :'(

Have to start all over again when the new one arrives.

Banger01

Not fixed as posted above. Still freezing when navigating to folders. Starting to test my patience.

dcoggins

Quote from: Banger01 on January 26, 2013, 01:47:10 PM
Not fixed as posted above. Still freezing when navigating to folders. Starting to test my patience.

My replacement for the dead unit hasn't done it yet (touch wood) - maybe it's actually a hardware fault.

If you have done all the reformatting etc and it still continues, maybe you could try for a replacement under warranty.

Banger01

Yes. I might go down the replacement road. Happened again and again and again and is starting to affect my sanity and marriage.  This has to be a hardware problem. Although I don't know if the problems started with the firmware upgrade. 

Banger01

Decided to downgrade the firmware to 1.07.00 as per the ice tv site.  ( I purchased the unit from icetv). Will see if this fixes the freezing.  At least I will know where the problem lies. 

carlprowse

Our's stopped freezing till the last week or so. I had already tried the reset to defaults. So I reformated the disk this time. Here's hoping that works, but after reading the posts from others, I am not confident.

toppytools

If this is a firmware bug then I'd imagine that Humax have been busy resolving the issue in the next firmware version. Humax support have indicated that the next update is close to being released so maybe the solution is not too far away.

Helens

Same problem here. Humax freezes when navigating folders. Mostly seems to be when selecting Media just after power on from standby. Very frustrating. Have only had humax for a few weeks and had a lot of problems when first installing it. These were resolved after much time wasted but now this. Not very happy after many trouble free years with another brand.

dcoggins

My original Humax had the freezing problem for a few weeks but completely died from what appeared to be an unrelated issue. The replacement unit seems to be perfectly OK in all areas so far. I have no complaint at all with the replacement procedure - both IceTV and Humax Australia were very helpful and very prompt.

So I am really none the wiser whether this issue is hardware or software related, whether it is related to the new firmware or not. But I am disappointed that at this stage of development of PVRs customers should still have these sorts of issues.

I bought a Topfield many years ago. It was clunky and buggy, and there were updates required. But that was fairly early in the development of PVRs and having been working around PCs and processor control since the days of loading from audio and paper tape, I know that it takes a while to get the bugs out and I can accept a few problems.

But this is a very popular European brand, highly recommended, from a company who have been producing PVRs for a long time. What is going on here? Surely the bugs should all have been well and truly squashed by now? I have seen more than a few people here having to get replacements for their new Humax - one had three units.

It's all a bit worrrying. I'm glad they have a long warranty.

carlprowse

Resetting to Factory Defaults did not work
Reformatting the disk did not work.
Freezes still happened when browsing through video folders.
Now I have downgrading to the trusty, stable old 1.07 firmware
I will let you all know how I go.

There was nothing in v1.08 that I wanted. QuickFlix offers a small collection of mostly old movies. I already have QuickFlix on my Sony blu-ray player.

Notwithstanding this issue, I am quite happy with the Humax and IceTV. It is really easy to use.

dcoggins

Quote from: carlprowse on February 04, 2013, 07:51:16 PM
Now I have downgrading to the trusty, stable old 1.07 firmware
I will let you all know how I go.
So you feel certain that the new firmware caused the problem then. Be very interested to hear the outcome.

I found the Portal did not work properly for any service unless I upgraded to v1.08.

I agree, both the Humax and IceTV are excellent, just a pity we have to put up with niggling problems like this still.

carlprowse

The portal works well for us on v1.07, though we only ever use it to watch iView.

The reason I suspect the v1.08 firmware is because our Humax worked really well on 1.07. The problem only occurred after we upgraded to v1.08. Resetting to factory defaults and reformatting the disk did not resolve it. Plus, we have now been back on v1.07 for a week with no issues (though that is not really long enough to be sure)