Not impressed with ICE

Started by Tassie Devil, November 26, 2012, 10:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tassie Devil

:-[  A lot of blood sweat & tears went into a hardwire LAN connection to the Humax but I finally performed a digital extraction & registered etc to hook up to ICE yesterday.

So, reset all timers only to find on viewing last night that not all of "Sunday" was recorded.  As usual it started late but then chopped off at 7.30.  My understanding (obviously wrong) was that ICE actually followed broadcast time so more accurate recording on the Humax 7500 was possible.  Bottom line it is worse than the MAGIC I also use where there is an automatic 10 minute padding at the end of each setting.

Yes ICE does handle series nicely but, doing most viewing on SBS (where times are pretty accurate) and ABC (similar although not quite as good) so that option is no great plus in this house.

Result, at the moment I very much doubt I'll be paying $99 at the end of the freebie time.

John
77 year old A/V nutter with too many toys:
* 5 PVRs in 3 A/V systems
* Meridian Sooloos server w 9000+ classical CDs via  Sennheiser HD800 headphones
* A/V - Sony V W200 projector + 7.1  audio

swamprat96

set your padding to the max 20 minutes and leave the unit on standby settings. Not perfect but works

prl

Quote from: Tassie Devil on November 26, 2012, 10:56:35 AM
...  My understanding (obviously wrong) was that ICE actually followed broadcast time so more accurate recording on the Humax 7500 was possible. ...
You are correct that your understanding was wrong. Using IceTV to maintain recording timers doesn't remove the necessity of using padding.

I'm actually not a big fan of making adjustments to timers to try to follow actual broadcast times, even if the adjustments are completely accurate. There's some current forum discussion of this, and particularly IceTV's attempts to make these adjustments.

What I would be a big fan of is requiring the networks to actually broadcast to their schedule, allowing for some well-defined exceptions. I understand that this is a requirement in some other jurisdictions.

Since that's unlikely to happen, I'll stick with padding.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing