Topfield 2460 not receiving IceTV EPG or Recordings anymore

Started by chrisby80, October 17, 2012, 06:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rippernz

christiansenk

Thanks Dave,
It's been a while as I've been away and then everything started to work again but it is intermittent.

My Ip settings are DHCP.
But i noticed (as I have a new router now that the Security Encryption was AES.  I have changed my router to accept both AES and TKIP.
(WPA-PSK2)  Both were set to the same protocol but I am now using TKIP
My SSID is Broadcasting.
I pick up an IP of my router and Toppy indicates the same IP

Unfortunately, ShoutCast CAN NOT connect to Server.

cheers

Dave at IceTV

Hi christiansenk,

Looking at your account it looks like you got it working again.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

christiansenk

Many Thanks David,
You are right it started working again...  But then it intemitently stops working.

I can't quite work I'm not doing any "rolling repairs" on the network  (I stopped touching it to allow me to problem solve).

I woke up this morning  - all good EPG working.

Tuned off machine and it's been on for an hour now...

nothing.

I'm starting to think it could be a dodgy Wifi dongle?

I'm going to try to "reseat" it in the toppy and see how that goes.

regarsd

Dave at IceTV

Hi christiansenk,

I just had a closer look at your account and I noticed that you had Ten, One and 7 Digital each set to 'All'.  Because the Perth IceTV region includes channel numbers for both suburban Perth and regional WA leaving them set to 'All' can confuse Topfield PVRs. The result can be anything from missing recordings or a blank guide to random rebooting.

I have now set the following in your account:
Ten = 10
One = 1
7 Digital = 7

Your other channels were already correct. These changes mean that the duplicate channels will be blank (12, 70 and 71).

Please force your Topfield to update the guide as follows:
1. Go to 'Menu > Settings > IceTV',
2. Reset EPG Data by pressing the Red F1 button while in the IceTV menu and answering Yes.
3. Exit the menu.
4. Wait a few minutes and then check the guide has program info.
5. If the guide is blank, turn the Topfield off and on and repeat step 4.
6. Click on 'Resend all recordings' from the 'TV Recorders' tab on the website here:
http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/webmembers.cgi?op=editSubscription
7. Within 30 minutes you should see your reservations in 'Menu > Recording > Reservations'.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

christiansenk

-Fixed-

Many thanks for your help Dave.
(Legend!)

This worked a treat. .

regards

christiansenk

Quote from: prl on December 11, 2012, 11:23:50 AM
Quote from: christiansenk on December 11, 2012, 12:01:51 AM
... (No port forwding but apparenntly Ice tv is all on port 80 any way). ...
More importantly, all connections to IceTV are outbound from your Topfield.

Thanks Peter,

Out of curiosity and a slightly off topic...

If I make a reservation/ favourites then how does the Toppy communicate that back to the ICETV website with all details?  Isn't there an outbound port sending that info somewhere?

regards
Kim

prl

Quote from: christiansenk on January 19, 2013, 12:34:24 PM
Quote from: prl on December 11, 2012, 11:23:50 AM
Quote from: christiansenk on December 11, 2012, 12:01:51 AM
... (No port forwding but apparenntly Ice tv is all on port 80 any way). ...
More importantly, all connections to IceTV are outbound from your Topfield.

Thanks Peter,

Out of curiosity and a slightly off topic...

If I make a reservation/ favourites then how does the Toppy communicate that back to the ICETV website with all details?  Isn't there an outbound port sending that info somewhere?

regards
Kim
I'm not familiar with IceTV-capable Topfields (a long time ago, I had a TRF7000). However, I assume that this is handled in a similar way to how timers (reservations) set on a Beyonwiz are communicated. There is a two-way exchange of information about timers/reservations each time the PVR contacts IceTV (the connection is outbound, but the data exchange is two-way). This happens at the next scheduled time that the PVR and IceTV exchange information (at 15-min intervals on Beyonwiz, longer, I think on Topfields).

AFAIK, all PVR-IceTV interactions are initiated by the PVR using HTTP. The URLs are visible in the Beyonwiz firmware if you unpack it and know where to look.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

christiansenk

Something has gone hay wire again!
I've lost the ICETV epg guide again.

No Shoutcast either.
Nothing has changed on network setup either.
Toppy is set to DHCP and is receiving an IP x.y.z.105
Router is registerring it with IP x.y.z.105

Toppy is Wireless.

I have Reset the EPG data again and now it appears that when I look at "Settings > IceTV >Device Type" it indicates "NONE"

Yesterday I am almost certain it said TPF-2460 (or similar).
Can not Ping it on x.y.z.105

Dave at IceTV

Hi Kim,

You definitely have an Internet issue with the Topfield if it cannot access Shoutcast or IceTV. The Weather was offline for a week or two recently and Youtube is currently not working for Topfields (may need another firmware update) so Shoutcast is currently the best way to check DNS lookup from the Topfield.

Can you ping yahoo.com and ping your router from the network menu on the Topfield?

PVRs like the Topfields often do not like connecting via wireless to routers that are set to both WPA and WPA2. If all of your wireless devices are fairly recent models then set the router to WPA2 only.

Also try the wireless dongle in one of the front USB ports instead of the back port. If this helps you can use a USB extension cable in the rear port to allow positioning the wireless dongle in a better location. 
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

revreboot

Hi There,
Just wondering if I can add to this thread. I also have been having intermittent problems with the EPG. I have a Topfield 2400 and it has a wired connection to my modem.

Quite regularly I turn on the TV and PVR and there is no EPG. Often it appears sometime later in the evening's viewing but sometimes not (like tonight).  I have just read through this thread and as a result tried to get onto Shoutcast (something I have never used) and found the error message "cannot connect to server". I have checked my network settings and confirmed I am on DHCP and usually am. I have found in the past that when I change to a static setting and then back to DHCP that half the EPG suddenly appears but not for all channels.

I would really appreciate suggestions for fixing this as it is really getting on my nerves and really cuts down on the usefulness of ICE TV.

Thanks,

Rev

christiansenk

-some progress

Here's what I've done since last post.  (it's amazing what some pointer can do like Dave's "DNS" Comment.

Moved dongle to the front.
Re-activated Network. (Toppy is DHCP - so below note about DNS is pointing to local Router)
Got an IP. (and DNS Settings) 

Before logging into ICETV i Had the stock EPG and I could connect to SHOUTCAST! 

After Logging into ICETV i cannot connect to ShoutCast!

I don't now how to ping from the Toppy  (There is not an option in Newtork settings)

====Side note: ADDED Issue which may assist ====
Now here is something interesting ... I didn't think it would be the issue ntil Dave mentioned the the DNS lookup issue.

All my Clients DNS (Toppy, PC, Wii, DS  etc.. anything connected to LAN) is usually set to my own router and my router picks up the DNS setting from iiNet.

About 5 days ago World of Warcraft went down with an ERROR #114.  It took two days of mucking around and the solution ultimatley suggested I set my Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8  and secondary to 8.8.4.4.  (google DNS IP)
(I initially did this just on my client PC - but then it was suggested to do it on my Router too)
This solved the problem for the WOW error #114 (solution / discussion Documented on the WOW forums here
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7591983147?page=5#81)

I have since reset my DNS back to my local Router and my Router picks up the AUTO DNS from iiNet and everything on WOW is back to normal.

However I just saw this about a break in the Perth / Singapore undersea line somewhere:

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/446522/updated_sea-me-we_3_undersea_cable_cut/

Now all of this could be effecting things too..
====

UPDATE:
I tried pinging the TOPPY (I had an IP address so didn't think I would need to PING it)
No go!

I wired the TOPPY and everything worked fine! (including getting a ping response!)

So ...replaced Dongle on extension lead and everything worked... (even picks up neighbours network)
Remove lead and it falls over.

Have changed Netgear DGND 3700 router Speed from 300 Mbps to 145 Mbps to hopefully stabilise with the toppy  though the quality is now down to 40% on both "Level" and "Quality". ICETV is working -  Shoutcast is not working.

At least for now my resolution at this point will be to find an extension cable for the Dongle.

===
Thanks

revreboot

Just to add some further information to my post above.

Yesterday afternoon the PVR was on for quite a while and the EPG was available. The PVR was then switched onto standby and then back on again about half an hour later. There was no EPG and no connection to Shoutcast. After about half an hour to an hour later the EPG became accessible and Shoutcast was also accessible.

Help please.

Rev

christiansenk

Finally, It appears the the problem has been isolated to the Wifi Dongle.
After working flawlessly for 18 months it appears it may be falling over and is a bit flakey... giving signs of connectivity but not really keeping up.
The distance to Toppy is about 8m with an almost uniterrupted line of sight through one sheet of glass.
Moving the dongle to the front of the toppy helped and adding the extension lead assisted but it still appears to fall over after a while.

Many thanks to Dave all that helped.

christiansenk

Hi RevReboot.

When I placed my toppy on the wire everything was pretty much immediate.

Have you tried isolating it to the wire  / Wireless.. and then using a USB extender as Dave suggested for me.

Has anything changed or is anything else experiencing problems on you network?

regards