A couple of timer setting oddities

Started by prl, October 17, 2012, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickym

Thanks very much for your input, guys, but I have solved it.  I had changed passwords across the board, including IceTV, but forgetting BW  :-[.  Once I made the two passwords the same, all these last problems went away.  Maybe, this was part of the problem from the start in addition to the hassles of moving, simulcasts, etc?

While on the topic of passwords, though, any chance of getting IceTV to accept characters in them, such as !@#$%^&*. 

Cheers,

Rick. 

toppytools

Quote from: rickym on November 25, 2012, 12:48:35 PM
While on the topic of passwords, though, any chance of getting IceTV to accept characters in them, such as !@#$%^&*. 
Often these character issues are from the PVR itself. For example: IceTV supports the @ sign in your username and/or password but the Beyonwiz seems to not send the login details correctly if it includes an @ sign. The Beyonwiz is possibly sending an incorrect character code instead of @ or maybe even dropping the @. Whatever it is sending results in the Beyonwiz displaying false error messages when you 'Check User Info'.

If the Member ID contains an @ sign the Beyonwiz shows:
"Network connection failed. Check the network setting first."

If the Password contains an @ sign the Beyonwiz shows:
"System is busy. Please try again later."

It can also alternate between these and other error messages.

The Elgato EyeTV software for Macs has the same issue with the @ sign. EyeTV signs in to IceTV OK but then gives a 'Server Error' when you click on 'Update Now' to force a guide update.

prl

Quote from: toppytools on December 01, 2012, 02:33:02 PM
... The Beyonwiz is possibly sending & instead of @ or maybe even dropping the @.  ...
Sending & seems an unlikely choice. @ (commercial at) doesn't even have a named HTML character entity reference. & is & (ampersand).
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

toppytools

LOL, of course you are correct, even if pedantic.

grampus

Generally a number of these characters are normally seen as "special" characters in any number of operating system structures. Why would you wish to make these useable, there are may other characters that are available for use
BeyonWiz, T3

prl

Yesterday I had a bit of a dig around on the Beyonwiz forum and in the IceTV FAQs, but I couldn't find anything that described what the restrictions are on IceTV passwords on the Beyonwiz.

I can't see any reason why normal printing ASCII-7 non-alphanumerics should be disallowed in passwords. No matter what the operating system. Some care may need to be taken with HTML reserved characters like & to make them work properly (IceTV, at least the initial connection, appears to be HTTP-based). However, as I mentioned before, @ is not one of those characters.

OS limitations on what characters are permitted in things such as file names should in no way affect what characters are permitted in passwords.

Unfortunately, there hasn't been a Beyonwiz firmware release for nearly two years, and there is no firmware in beta, so we're probably stuck with any such limitations in the Beyonwiz firmware.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

rickym

Hi Grampus,

Quote from: grampus on December 01, 2012, 07:38:04 PM
Generally a number of these characters are normally seen as "special" characters in any number of operating system structures. Why would you wish to make these useable, there are may other characters that are available for use

Not that I want to spell it all out, but I have a password that I use for all sites like this one.  That password includes one of the characters listed here.  That way, I only have to remember a few passwords, each variant occurring according to the nature of the website.  If I can, I don't want to have exceptions as I'm an older fart and have problems remembering what I'm doing. Every other site I use allows characters; a couple even demand it from a security perspective (along with a mixture of upper and lower case letters, and a mix of alpha/numeric characters).  Why is IceTV the exception?

Cheers,

Rick

Dave at IceTV

Your IceTV password is different to a password on other websites because an IceTV account may be used on more than just the website. Many special characters are allowed, but not recommended. Any special character that you use would need to be supported by the software and devices that you use to connect to IceTV.

Some supported devices don't have certain characters on their onscreen keyboards.

For example:
A Humax cannot type # % & < >
A Topfield cannot type ` # $ ^ [ ] \ ; " < >
A Beyonwiz cannot type * | \ : " < > / ?

And some supported devices do not work properly with IceTV if certain characters are used (even though they can type those characters).

For example:
Beyonwiz PVRs cannot download from IceTV if the IceTV Member ID or Password contain @
Dvico PVRs cannot sign in if the IceTV Password contains @
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

rickym

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on June 08, 2013, 11:59:26 PMSome supported devices don't have certain characters on their onscreen keyboards.

For example:
A Humax cannot type # % & < >
A Topfield cannot type ` # $ ^ [ ] \ ; " < >
A Beyonwiz cannot type * | \ : " < > / ?

That's a shame as I have said.  It means I have to change my "common" password just for the Topfield PVR -- either that or have one exception to the rule.  Exceptions to the rule mean I have to remember it.  I'm an older fart and that could be problematic. 

And as I said in a previous post, some websites insist I use one or more of the special characters.  That means Topfield is the odd one out  :(.

Rick