Beyonwiz DP-P2 Set Top Box PVR with 500GB HDD - $299 on Catch of the Day today

Started by bodogbodog, April 10, 2011, 04:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bodogbodog

http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/smallfish_info.php?products_id=26768

I don't want to spam the forums but thought some members might be interested in these refurbished Wiz's up for sale
I'm tempted to get one as a simple backup for my Windows Media Centres - but probably wont (how many tuners do I really need  ;D)

update: All over folks - deal has closed so no longer available
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

jcarbines

I bought one of these - they are the earlier versions (use firmware version 1.5.350), although the carton was stamped DP-P2 and the unit was labelled DP-P2, they supplied the FV-L1 manual. So that was a little confusing, although it all looked just the same as far as menus, etc, goes.

It gets its knickers in a knot when accessing the network, although it seems to settle down in a minute or so.

I did a sample recording, then tried all the different editing functions. Marking a section and then copying it to a new file worked ok, except I could no longer open the original file. Not trying that with a real recording, thank you kindly!

Haven't yet had much of a play with timed recording, although capturing off the Foxtel box worked just fine, especially using the S-Video input (which gives a slightly better recording than the plain composite input) - this was a major gripe for me with the Astone 360T that I also have.

Not at all happy with not being able to easily access the recordings across the network without using the WizFX software which basically allows me to download the recordings to my PC. At least with the Astone I could access the recordings as recorded with my editing software and then save the edited parts to my PC. I could even access the Astone as if it was an external USB hard drive!

Imagine using the playlist option on the Foxtel IQ2 to group perhaps a dozen or more recordings to transfer in one session then having to copy the entire file to the PC before being able to split it up - unnecessary double handling and makes the whole job too slow.

This unit has lots to like and just a bit that is going to be a bit frustrating. At least I can edit the files natively, something the Astone can't do.

Surely someone has worked out a Samba type of access to the drive from a PC on the network, rather than having to use their own protocol and software. Why can't I access \\beyonwiz in Windows Explorer, or //192.168.0.4:49152 in Internet Explorer - error 403 in permissions.

I like the networking and being able to play a DVD copied using DVD Shrink onto my PC without any dramas.

Altogether, it is a great (not little) box with just a few things that aren't altogether helpful.

Cheers,
JC

bodogbodog

Interesting feedback - sorry to hear you have hit a few problems - might be worth heading over to the Beyonwiz forums as there are a lot of helpful experienced users over there
I also purchased off COTD and my unit is a DP2 with the latest firmware 01.07.350 and it came with the correct manual
I haven't tried editing files but I have setup a network share and apart from having to go in and setup each series of transfers manually (wish I could autommate the transfer like on my Windows Media Center to my WHS) I am happy with it. I use IceTV for setting up my recording schedule
For $299 it's value for money and relatively simple to use
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)

prl

Quote from: jcarbines on May 09, 2011, 09:35:22 PM
Surely someone has worked out a Samba type of access to the drive from a PC on the network, rather than having to use their own protocol and software. Why can't I access \\beyonwiz in Windows Explorer, or //192.168.0.4:49152 in Internet Explorer - error 403 in permissions.

No, no-one has. The Beyonwiz firmware does not have a Samba server, and no-one has made one for the Beyonwiz. If one was created, the tools exist to hack it into a firmware package. It is possible to copy in the opposite direction to a PC share (provided the Beyonwiz has write permission on the share). There are also user-contributed alternatives to WizFX.

The Beyonwiz does have a HTTP server (in fact it's used by the WizPnp protocol), but the server does not support listing of folders. That's why accessing http://192.168.0.4:49152/ doesn't work. Try accessing http://192.168.0.4:49152/index.txt instead. However, because the HTTP server doesn't support directory listing, really the only convenient way to copy files using the HTTP server is by using the WizPnp protocols. Recordings on the Beyonwiz are stored in a folder per recording and the recording data is stored in in 32MB chunks . There's a list of the chunks in a header file in the recording folder, but it's a binary header. Unless you've renamed a recording, its folder on the Beyonwiz isn't named in a particularly user-friendly manner. WizPnP copy clients know how to unpack the index.txt and header files and copy the recordings for you, including transforming them from the folder format into a single-file MPEG2 Transport Stream file.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

bodogbodog

and to complete the circle of life - my DP2 I bought on this deal carked it today - error 0000 - probably the PSU I guess
I got two years out of it
Seems it could cope with the daylight savings change and turned it's toes up overnight  ;D
Anyone got any suggestions on somewhere to get it repaired at a reasonable price?
I had really hoped not to have to buy another PVR until the new Ice Box was released  ;)
Thanks

prl

Mark (posting as warkus) on the Beyonwiz forum has a strong reputation for repairs of Beyonwizes and for his instructions on DIY repairs of Beyonwiz power supplies. He's Perth based, but all the feedback I've seen on the forum says that his turnaround time is good and his prices are very reasonable.

I haven't used his services, so I can't vouch for his work directly.

Also on the Beyonwiz forum, tonymy01 has indicated that he has done some repairs for other folk, but I haven't seen much feedback about his work. He is Sydney-based so that may be more convenient for you.

Beyonwiz Support is also based in Sydney.

Are you Bodogbodog on the Beyonwiz forum?
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

bodogbodog

Peter
Thanks for the suggestions - I'm in touch with Mark and he has been fantastic in assisting with diagnosis of the fault, I've even lifted the lid on my unit for the first time. Looks like its the PS and he's sending one over for me to swap over.
Will report back on the success rate but I am impressed by his level of knowledge and communications - could not ask for more
It looks like I will be up and running again on Wednesday all going according to plan

Have to say how easy it was to "reschedule" all my planned recordings from my Beyonwiz to my Windows Media Centres using IceTV - very simple to do and should mean we don't miss a beat

Now all I have to remember to do is to adjust the Beyonwiz for daylight saving time when it's operational again

Yes I'm Bodogbodog over on Beyonwiz's forums and many others

prl

Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

bodogbodog

and just closing this one out - a big thankyou to Warkus (Mark) at Decisive Computer Solutions - http://www.decisivecomputersolutions.com.au/ - he assisted me with the fix (replacing the failed PSU) and could not have been more responsive. The unit failed Sunday and the replacement arrived yesterday and we installed it with guidance from Mark - the failed unit is now winging its way back to Mark in WA.
The process could not have been any easier
I can recommend his services to any member with Beyonwiz faults that need fixing